Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #15616
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Finished reading Dashiel Hammett's Red Harvest last night. Classic hard-boiled noir!
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #15617
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Yes, yes. OK. But I am trying to get through my older titles!
No shame in that! I have quite a few books that I haven't had a chance to read yet, even though they were purchased a while back.

"Under Heaven" has been great so far, I should be done reading it soon, probably sometime tomorrow. I think that next up will be "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck. I'm looking forward to it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #15618
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Me, Vince Flynn and Mitch Rapp...having a little political thriller marathon.

So far...Transfer of Power, The Third Option, Separation of Power, Executive Power and halfway through Memorial Day.

Might need a zombie break in the next day or so. Or maybe something non-fiction.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #15619
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
This discussion has made me start reading Shogun for the fourth time since 1975.
Apache
I re-read Shogun and Taipan (for the umpteenth time) a couple of months ago, and King Rat is in the bullpen waiting to come to bat again. Noble House won't be far behind. It's nice to some special books to 'come home' to.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #15620
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Up Next:

Attempt #2 of Shadow Blade (Shadowchasers #1) and
Book #2 The Guns of Avalon (Amber: The Corwin Cycle).
I completed Shadow Blade (review here), and started The Guns of Avalon last night. I am hoping to finish the latter tonight, but I'm not sure that will happen - there have been many distractions.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #15621
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I think that next up will be "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck. I'm looking forward to it.
Let us know how you go with that. It's on my reading list this year.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #15622
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Next up: Ivory by Mike Resnick. I bought this one back in 2005!
An interesting set of linked incidents concerning a certain pair of tusks. The journey was fun, but I found the destination a little disappointing.

Next up: Life of Pi by Yann Martel, bought yesterday!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #15623
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Just on the second book of Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim series, Kill The Dead. Finished the first one, Sandman Slim, yesterday.

Finding that I quite like them. The main character is a bit of an anti-hero, but strangely likeable (not as likeable as the Devil though!) and the whole premise of a world populated by interacting angels, devils, demons etc amongst us normals is interesting if written as well as this is.

I may well even buy the final two in the series now.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #15624
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I re-read Shogun and Taipan (for the umpteenth time) a couple of months ago, and King Rat is in the bullpen waiting to come to bat again. Noble House won't be far behind. It's nice to some special books to 'come home' to.

Stitchawl
Are all the books in the series available as eBooks for people in the US? Only "Shogun", "Gai-Jin" and "King Rat" are available in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #15625
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
All the talk about Shogun has me wanting to reread it also. I will have to go find another copy, as mine had the pages falling out and I had to throw it away.

Harry - I have all but Whirlwind available through Amazon as ebooks. I've read all but Whirlwind and Gai-Jin or at least I don't remember reading those. My favorite has always been Shogun.

The Asian Saga consisting of six novels:

King Rat (1962): Set in a Japanese POW camp in Singapore, 1945
Tai-Pan (1966): Set in Hong Kong, 1841
Shōgun (1975): Set in feudal Japan, 1600
Noble House (1981): Set in Hong Kong, 1963
Whirlwind (1986): Set in Iran, 1979
Gai-Jin (1993): Set in Japan, 1862

Quote:
<snip>Next up: Life of Pi by Yann Martel, bought yesterday!
Let us know how you liked it. I may give it a try again.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #15626
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are all the books in the series available as eBooks for people in the US? Only "Shogun", "Gai-Jin" and "King Rat" are available in the UK.
Personally, I don't know. I do have Shogun, Taipan and Noble House in my e-reader, but I really don't remember from where I bought them. I haven't lived in the US in the past 25 years. But also from a personal perspective, neither Whirlwind nor Gaijin were worth the energy. I couldn't even get very far into Whirlwind before I gave up on it, and although I did manage to finish Gaijin, with the exception of one small section, the rest seemed like fill and I found myself skimming many times just to get past.

I don't know what our policy is on 'lending books,' but if permissible, I'd be happy to lend them to you.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #15627
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Harry - I have all but Whirlwind available through Amazon as ebooks. I've read all but Whirlwind and Gai-Jin or at least I don't remember reading those. My favorite has always been Shogun.
Thanks, dreams. Probably the usual case of different US and UK publishers!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #15628
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Personally, I don't know. I do have Shogun, Taipan and Noble House in my e-reader, but I really don't remember from where I bought them. I haven't lived in the US in the past 25 years. But also from a personal perspective, neither Whirlwind nor Gaijin were worth the energy. I couldn't even get very far into Whirlwind before I gave up on it, and although I did manage to finish Gaijin, with the exception of one small section, the rest seemed like fill and I found myself skimming many times just to get past.

I don't know what our policy is on 'lending books,' but if permissible, I'd be happy to lend them to you.

Stitchawl

'Lending books' is not allowed and will get a member banned from our community.
- "Kindle Owners' Lending Library" is a different issue and is assocated with Amazon.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #15629
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:

Stitchawl
It's very kind of you to offer - and I do appreciate it - but this would be copyright infringement, so I must regretfully decline .
Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #15630
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

'Lending books' is not allowed and will get a member banned from our community.
- "Kindle Owners' Lending Library" is a different issue and is assocated with Amazon.

Don
(Moderator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's very kind of you to offer - and I do appreciate it - but this would be copyright infringement, so I must regretfully decline .
There is this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200549320

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote