Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Vote for your choice.
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman 15 25.42%
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan 6 10.17%
The Voyage of the Minotaur by Wesley Allison 5 8.47%
Kraken by China Mieville 8 13.56%
The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany 8 13.56%
The Winds of Khalakovo by Bradley Beaulieu 1 1.69%
Nation by Terry Pratchett 5 8.47%
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson 6 10.17%
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin 2 3.39%
Oath of Swords by David Weber 3 5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #46
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I agree completely. I won mine so it wasn't a choice. I probably would have gone Sony, or maybe Kobo if I had paid for it. I love my Kindle, but it is frustrating sometimes. The cost of books for it now has it approaching doorstop value to me.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I agree completely. I won mine so it wasn't a choice. I probably would have gone Sony, or maybe Kobo if I had paid for it. I love my Kindle, but it is frustrating sometimes. The cost of books for it now has it approaching doorstop value to me.
I am hoping that once the price fix six are fixed so they have to allow discounts that Kobo will still be offering discounts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #48
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Me too. Right now my wish list is just too expensive to want to purchase. Have I said how much I love my library today?

Back to the topic at hand. It looks like we might get three books in the run-off vote. I'll have to check out the other books on the list. I still think Neverwhere is a great selection, but I've read it.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #49
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Oooooh, threesome.

Can Kraken and Elfland's spawn join forces to shut out Neverwhere? Tune into the next installment of bookclub voting and whining to find out!
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #50
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's based on seeing the results of both hidden and non-hidden votes. There's enough data to suggest that we have a lot closer voting when it's hidden them we do when it's non-hidden.
Specifics, please! because I've seen the same data and I think they're inconclusive. Some months are close, some aren't, and how do you account for different topics and different levels of participation and interest?

Using May as an example, while there was a runaway winner in first, second place was hotly contested, and one that got off to a slow start, Kraken, made it to the next round. So clearly people weren't discouraged from voting for it, even though other nominees including Lightning Thief were doing far better at first.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #51
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The run-off poll is up.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #52
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Specifics, please! because I've seen the same data and I think they're inconclusive. Some months are close, some aren't, and how do you account for different topics and different levels of participation and interest?

Using May as an example, while there was a runaway winner in first, second place was hotly contested, and one that got off to a slow start, Kraken, made it to the next round. So clearly people weren't discouraged from voting for it, even though other nominees including Lightning Thief were doing far better at first.
To make any claims either way would first require defining some useful metric of what “closer voting” is, and why that metric leads to better selection. Then would come the effort to establish a statistically significant demonstration as to which leads to a better result for that metric, hidden voting or open voting. Looking at the few months available I seriously doubt the results would support either conclusion. Right now people are just seeing what they want to see in support of the option that they prefer.

It hardly matters anyway since in the end when the issue is revisited the decision will be by a combination of a poll and WTSharpe's preferences.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #53
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
To make any claims either way would first require defining some useful metric of what “closer voting” is, and why that metric leads to better selection. Then would come the effort to establish a statistically significant demonstration as to which leads to a better result for that metric, hidden voting or open voting. Looking at the few months available I seriously doubt the results would support either conclusion. Right now people are just seeing what they want to see in support of the option that they prefer.
You lost me at "statistically significant demonstration". Mathz r hard.

Quote:
It hardly matters anyway since in the end when the issue is revisited the decision will be by a combination of a poll and WTSharpe's preferences.
You forgot bribes.

Sorry, I'm rather amused by all the quibbling that goes on. Is this new or ongoing?
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:21 AM   #54
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
You lost me at "statistically significant demonstration". Mathz r hard.

You forgot bribes.

Sorry, I'm rather amused by all the quibbling that goes on. Is this new or ongoing?
Ongoing.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote