Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
club1820
club1820 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Books sent to iTunes creates double copy of file

I have my calibre library on an external hard drive connected to PC to save space on the PC Drive. I just realized that all the books that I have sent to iTunes to then have on my iDevices, have been copied to my PC Hardrive in the following folder:

C:\users\appdata\roaming\calibre\iTunes

This is defeating the purpose of my having my calibre library on an external drive. when I sent a book to itunes, its then copied to my C: drive and place in the above folder. I thought that iTunes would recognize that the book is in the original Calibre Library folder on my external drive. How can I fix this so that a duplicate file isnt created and that Itunes uses my original Calibre file on the external drive?

thanks in advance!
club1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You are correct, there is an extra copy stored on your machine when using 'Connect to iTunes'. This is due to the architecture of calibre's database.

If you'd rather avoid the extra copy being stored, you can install the Apple iDevice driver instead of connecting to iTunes. The principal difference is that books are sent directly to iBooks on the connected iDevice, and a copy is not saved in iTunes. iTunes is still utilized to manage books on the connected iDevice.

See the post #2 in the forum sticky 'Calibre + Apple iDevices: Start here' for an in-depth explanation of how and where books are stored when sent to iTunes using 'Connect to iTunes'.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 12-09-2012 at 04:16 PM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert