Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
A new experience

My Xmas present to myself was a Galaxy Note 10.1. It just got updated to Jelly Bean, and on the Note it has a nifty multi window feature. It might take a little while to set it up, but now I can read a book that is 2/3 of the screen in landscape and have a dictionary or encyclopedia our perhaps map open in another window, I can have more than two open at the same time, but I haven't gotten that far yet. So far though it is very nice to be able to check something while reading and not really have to leave the book behind. If I was a student I could have a note app open, copy and paste text that I refer to in my notes etc.
This is all new but I can see some serious development potential, tapping on a word in the reading app and have it appear in the dictionary instantly, that sort of thing.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Wow...that sounds like a very nice feature!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A new experience? I believe I've been doing pretty much the same thing on my desktop PC for the last 20-odd years. They even call it "Windows". It's nice that it's finally appearing on tablets, but it's hardly a new experience, is it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
lol burn
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
This is/was one of the cool features of the good old Entourage Edge, well, not 100 percent perfectly implemented but the idea was great.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
A neat feature to have on a tablet. However, the small screen size makes it less than optimal for me.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone here know if this is a feature on all Jelly Bean tablets or just the Galaxy Note?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Congratulations Kumabjorn. I hope you enjoy your Christmas Present.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
It's just the Note and some other Samsung devices.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
It's just the Note and some other Samsung devices.
Thanks for the info.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A new experience? I believe I've been doing pretty much the same thing on my desktop PC for the last 20-odd years. They even call it "Windows". It's nice that it's finally appearing on tablets, but it's hardly a new experience, is it?
I was never comfortable doing that on a Windows laptop or desktop, it is quite a difference having it in you lap, holding it like a book. For me it is a step up from a dedicated reader, but only as it regards non-fiction or academic texts, it doesn't do anything for reading fiction.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
My Xmas present to myself was a Galaxy Note 10.1. It just got updated to Jelly Bean, and on the Note it has a nifty multi window feature. It might take a little while to set it up, but now I can read a book that is 2/3 of the screen in landscape and have a dictionary or encyclopedia our perhaps map open in another window, I can have more than two open at the same time, but I haven't gotten that far yet. So far though it is very nice to be able to check something while reading and not really have to leave the book behind. If I was a student I could have a note app open, copy and paste text that I refer to in my notes etc.
This is all new but I can see some serious development potential, tapping on a word in the reading app and have it appear in the dictionary instantly, that sort of thing.

Congrats and excellent!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I was never comfortable doing that on a Windows laptop or desktop, it is quite a difference having it in you lap, holding it like a book. For me it is a step up from a dedicated reader, but only as it regards non-fiction or academic texts, it doesn't do anything for reading fiction.
Never mind Harry, he's 'one of those."
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Never mind Harry, he's 'one of those."
I have absolutely no problem with Harry, I pretty much expected that response from him. I can only write about my experiences and my impressions. Since I didn't like reading on a 'puter I didn't have the multi window experience, hence a new experience.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Cool! Definitely something I miss on tablets, so it's great news it's coming! Cause, even though it's just on few devices right now, it will spread, I'm sure!
It probably need a screen size around the 10" to be really convenient, but even on smaller screens it would be nice to have the feature available.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote