Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Pocket Pro battery problem solved???

I'm not positive yet, but things are looking like my hypothesis might be confirmed. Another couple of days (or weeks?) should tell the tale.

I've been following the thread on folks having problems with their batteries dying in just a day or two (if even that), and many not lasting more than a week. Mine seemed to go from full to one or two bars in just 4-5 days. I got to thinking about this late last week, and it occurred to me that, with so many folks having trouble getting the kind of battery life that the factory says you SHOULD get, that the problem might not be with the unit itself (or its battery), but rather with add-on accessories. What add-on accessories, you might ask?

The SD card.

I suspect that many (most?) SD cards are not designed to go into a 0-power state by themselves, that it would be up to the "host system" to remove power from them, and I further suspect that the PEZ does NOT remove power from the SD card when you "lock the keyboard" (which is what I always do, I never "power down" the unit unless I'm playing with the startup/shutdown screens or updating the firmware). I have a 2 Gbyte SanDisk Ultra II SD card that I've been using from day-1. So, last Thursday, I copied the current book that I'm reading and one other one to the internal memory (hadn't even used the internal memory before, I liked having all of my library on the easily removable/movable SD card), removed the SD card, and plugged in the PEZ and fully charged it up. It was fully charged by 6pm on the 22nd. I took it off the charger at that point. I don't know how many page changes I've done, but I've read 6 chapters since then, and the last chapter I read was 37 page changes, so roughly 250 page changes, plus another 50 or so doing some counting/testing, so let's say 300 page changes and 3 days later, and still 4 bars. At this point, from previous experience with the SD card in, I'd really expect it to have dropped at least one bar if not two.

So, it's still too early to say for sure, but it would be interesting to know how many of those folks who are having terrible battery life have an SD card in their machine all the time (and what brand/type it is), and how many of those folks who are getting a couple of weeks or more out of a single charge do or don't have an SD card in their machine (and if they do, what brand/type it is).

I'll post an update in a few more days, as my test progresses...
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Interesting idea. But what is your solution? To rarely use the SD card? To use it only for permanent storage rather than storage of books you are currently reading?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Interesting idea. But what is your solution? To rarely use the SD card? To use it only for permanent storage rather than storage of books you are currently reading?
If it turns out to be TRUE (too early to tell), it will depend upon whether it's a general problem with ALL SD cards or just SOME. I do like having my library on the SD card rather than on the internal memory, but if using the SD card means the difference between 4-5 days of battery life and 20-30 days, I may well adapt, and keep a "core library" in the internal memory, keep the "full library" on an SD card which I don't normally keep IN the machine, but can carry it along if I think I'm going to need it.

I don't know. It depends a lot upon whether the SD card turns out to BE the culprit and whether it's ALL cards or just SOME.

I posted the note now, rather than waiting until my test has run its course, because I'm hoping to gather some data from the rest of you about your use of SD cards and how it correlates (or doesn't) with your battery life. Hence my interest in:

1) What's your average time until you drop to two bars?
2) Do you have an SD card in the machine most of the time or rarely?
3) If you use an SD card frequently (or always), what brand and model is it?

That info might take a while to gather for some folks, who may not have a good idea of what their estimated time-from-full-to-two-bars is, so I wanted to get the ball rolling now instead of waiting another few days to a week until my SD-card-less machine starts to drop its bars.

Last edited by ekaser; 10-25-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I had a similar thought. I can't report final results yet, but here is what I know so far:

1) The original device (bubbly paint) seemed to have great battery life. As I was setting it up in a hurry for my son, I just copied all the files over to the main memory where things worked just fine.

2) For the replacement (no paint peeling) unit I copied the files over to the SD card. For the first three or four days, my son (it's his reader) rarely read from it, and by about day four it was dead with only about ten pages read. This was after an initial 12 hour charge.

3) So I got the same brainstorm about the SD card is you did. Once again, I let it charge overnight. Then I copied all the files to the main memory and removed the SD card. So far, the battery life has been quite acceptable. I'll let it go through a cycle or two and see if this continues.

4) For me the test will be complete in a few weeks. I will retry the SD card. If the battery life suddenly drops back to minimal I will be comfortable that a cause/effect exists and not just a coincidence.

MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Well, short term the answer is to use the permanent storage. However, clearly this device was purchased with the intent of using an SD card. If this does appear to be the problem, I'd think the next step would be to report this to Astak/Jinke and to ask them to update the app/reader.

MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
My info:
I have an original issue, paint peeling.
I use the SD card exclusively, a PNY Optima SD HC 4GB (60 min? HD). I move the SD card to my computer for loading and changing files. I've only hooked up the PEZ to my computer one time.

I always turn my unit off unless I'm going to get right back to it. I never use the keyboard lock.

I did the first 12 hr charge. Then a few days later another just for the heck of it (I believe). I had it go down one bar a couple of weeks later, when I had left it on for a while, thinking it was down three bars I hurriedly charge again. Since then, I've only charged one time when it got down to 2 bars for several day.

I am a sporatic reader but I've been loading and checking out the books. I've also read several short novel on it. I consider my battery life excellent.

But, remember, I turn my unit off, I don't use the keyboard lock.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #7
ekaser
Opinion Artiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I use the SD card exclusively... I always turn my unit off unless I'm going to get right back to it. I never use the keyboard lock. I had it go down one bar a couple of weeks later, when I had left it on for a while, thinking it was down three bars I hurriedly charge again. I am a sporatic reader but I've been loading and checking out the books. I've also read several short novel on it. I consider my battery life excellent.

But, remember, I turn my unit off, I don't use the keyboard lock.
Thanks! That makes sense. When "powered down" (rather than keyboard lock), then I would expect that everything in the unit is powered down, except for the VERY minimal "wake up" circuitry. So, in that scenario, you SHOULD still get very respectable battery life, even with the SD card in. (That's assuming that the SD card is the problem... which we don't yet know for sure.)
Old 10-26-2009, 01:44 AM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
My first charge (via AC) didn't last too long (about 500 pages from memory). I kind of expected it not to be at optimal performance until a few charge cycles. My second charge is hanging on like there is no tomorrow. I'm at about the 1500 page mark at half full. What has been different this time is; Not all my reading has been in .mobi format (I have had issues with my generated files from Calibre - no big deal, I used .fb2 now), and lastly I have not connected my PP to my computer to transfer files, so no chance of a slight power charge when I plug in the USB, and all my files are on a SD card. Could be coincidence, but it seems to be getting better for me - damn happy atm.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Didn't some other early reader device have the same issue? Maybe it was the K1? I seem to recall a similar issue...if that is it, then a firmware fix is likely all that will be needed.

If this is the issue, excellent sleuthing!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #10
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
The SD card debate has already been and gone on power consumption on the 6" readers,
Yes you do save a bit of power using internal memory but not a lot, I've only just started using SD card on mine and not noticed any difference one way or the other TBH.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
ekaser
Opinion Artiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
My second charge is hanging on like there is no tomorrow. I'm at about the 1500 page mark at half full. What has been different this time is; Not all my reading has been in .mobi format (I used .fb2 now), and all my files are on a SD card.
What brand and model is your SD card?
Old 10-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
1) What's your average time until you drop to two bars?
2 bar 3 to 4 days ~1.5K pages
1 bar 5 days
(0 bar?) it shut down during the 7th day. (no beeps, just shut down Library on a page turn)

Quote:
2) Do you have an SD card in the machine most of the time or rarely?
Always. I mainly use the SD card (I have the USB problem with Windows)

Quote:
3) If you use an SD card frequently (or always), what brand and model is it?
Patriot Brand. 4G SDHC class 6 <current
Patriot Brand. 2G SD (no class)
ATP 1G SD (no class)

Quote:
That info might take a while to gather for some folks, who may not have a good idea of what their estimated time-from-full-to-two-bars is, so I wanted to get the ball rolling now instead of waiting another few days to a week until my SD-card-less machine starts to drop its bars.
Full charge symbol using wall adapter in under 4 hours from 0 bars.

Not using Earphones.
Frequently lock screen (always when cover closed), especially when transporting.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #13
RichyRich
Connoisseur
RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
I am still only showing 1 bar loss with 1100+ pages read and not having charged the Pocket Pro in 13 days. I've been reading Epubs only with the SD card in. My SD card is a 2 GB San Disk Ultra II and I turn my Pocket Pro off when I'm not using it. Initially, I did 2 battery run down cycles on the Pocket Pro when it first came in and I have been running on the 3rd battery charge for the past 13 days.
RichyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Another thought

Has anyone done a comparasion of battery life when reading books with a lot of pictures in them, versus just text.

I prepare my books, and so far I'm only doing pure text. Only the few books I've downloaded from MR have pictures and I haven't got around to reading them on the PEZ yet.

Those who have shorter battery life, are you reading books with a lot of pictures the PEZ has to produce?

Just wondering.....

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
That is very interesting. I have the Ezreader Basic (6 inch) and I leave my SD in it all the time and I also lock the kbrd and only power down for updates. I can not say how many page turns but I read for an hr or so everyday at a min. And my battery only has to be charged every third week.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote