Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
onerubberducky
onerubberducky began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader 505
Is Scribd legal?

I am a proud owner of a new Sony 505. Just started playing around with some of it's features. To my surprise and joy I see that it is easy to download from Scribd. So many of the books there are contemporary and ones that I could buy at the bookstore (and I think with the copyright still operating, not public domain). Is it legal to download them? I hope so. I love the more esoteric books that are more rare and expensive to buy and they are there for free.
onerubberducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
No, quite often these book uploads are violating that author's copyright.
See this thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36978
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
onerubberducky

How do you find out if something is copyrighted or not? For example today I downloaded some of Carl Jung's books. Was that legal? Isn't Scribd supposed to remove copyrighted material.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
There is information in the FAQ section of the Scribd site that addresses copyright isues; the onus seems to be on users to not upload iffy stuff in the first place, and to report iffy stuff that does appear. One section says:

"What types of items are not allowed on Scribd?

You may not upload content for which you do not have the necessary legal permission. Always be aware of a document's copyright status. You may be held responsible for copyright violations.
Scribd is for the publication of personal documents only. You may not use Scribd for HTML advertising and search engine optimization.
You may not upload any content considered illegal in the United States.
Scribd does not permit racist or hateful content.

If you see content that violates these terms, please use Scribd's document flagging system and the document will be reviewed. Be sure to read our Terms of Service for more information."
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
onerubberducky

Thanks, I don't download illegal music and I don't want to download illegal books either.
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
What makes Scribd tuff is that some publishers have been using it to make free promo copies of some of their authors books available on it so sometimes uploads of more current stuff are legit.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:22 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Carl Jung died in 1961. His works won't be out of copyright in most of the world until 2032, in Canada and some other parts of the world until 2012, and in the US it's more complicated. Anything he published in the US before 1923 is public domain in the US. Anything else may or may not be copyright until 2019 depending on whether the copyright was renewed.

Copyright lengths are horribly complicated in the US, and far too long everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onerubberducky View Post
How do you find out if something is copyrighted or not? For example today I downloaded some of Carl Jung's books. Was that legal? Isn't Scribd supposed to remove copyrighted material.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:48 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Scribd" do not appear to be very vigilant in purging illegal material from their site. I would suggest taking great care in what you download, and checking whether or not it is in the public domain in your country.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
In short: It is up to you to check what is legal or not. Personally, I think that Scribd's ways are very dangerous and that they won't go on like that for long. (I even saw a book by Patricia Briggs there!)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote