Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Exclamation

The German Google Store has it at €349 and €399:

http://www.google.de/nexus/5/

That's more like it! (Although it still pretends as if €1 = $1. The actual exchange rate as of today is €349 = $470!)
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Didn't realize I was making excuses, just sharing some context. While following the Moto x especially, I learned a lot about the complicated web of pricing I didn't know before.

FWIW, I'm sorry you're not getting a better deal over there.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2013, 01:33 AM   #18
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
The German Google Store has it at €349 and €399:

http://www.google.de/nexus/5/

That's more like it! (Although it still pretends as if €1 = $1. The actual exchange rate as of today is €349 = $470!)
But that German price includes tax at something like 25%, doesn't it? The prices in NA are pre sales tax. Here in BC that'd be 12%.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #19
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I don't know anything specific, but there have been rumors cropping up from time to time about the N4 making a reappearance, this time with LTE. It's always been sorta capable of LTE with hacks from xda, but I believe it was missing an antenna necessary to market it that way.
Nope, the Nexus 4 has all the hardware necessary for LTE on AWS band 4, which happens to be T-Mobile in the US. I believe at&t might have a few places that have band 4, but it's very limited from what I remember.

I have the 16GB version, rooted, with a custom ROM and hybrid radio firmware that gets me LTE. Easy stuff.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:05 AM   #20
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
But that German price includes tax at something like 25%, doesn't it?
20%, I think.

Quote:
The prices in NA are pre sales tax. Here in BC that'd be 12%.
Really? So when Google announces the price of $349 in America, no one actually gets to pay that price? I thought I saw on some American websites statements like, "Residents of this or that state pay ..% of sales tax; residents of all other states pay the listed price."

$349 plus 12% tax would be $391; plus 20% tax would be $419.

PS: See an Amazon example here...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...?nodeId=468512
with some explanations:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwo...-ways-to-know/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwo...ure-not-alone/

I wonder in what states, then, Google applies the sales tax. All of them?

Last edited by Faterson; 11-02-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
Nope, the Nexus 4 has all the hardware necessary for LTE on AWS band 4, which happens to be T-Mobile in the US. I believe at&t might have a few places that have band 4, but it's very limited from what I remember.
Necessary to market it that way, not necessary to use it. Thus the need for xda hacks.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #22
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
20%, I think.

Really? So when Google announces the price of $349 in America, no one actually gets to pay that price? I thought I saw on some American websites statements like, "Residents of this or that state pay ..% of sales tax; residents of all other states pay the listed price."

$349 plus 12% tax would be $391; plus 20% tax would be $419.

PS: See an Amazon example here...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...?nodeId=468512
with some explanations:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwo...-ways-to-know/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwo...ure-not-alone/

I wonder in what states, then, Google applies the sales tax. All of them?
In the States, the tax is set per State. For instance, Oregon has no sales tax, so you'd pay $349. Most US states have tax (for electronics) in the 8% range or thereabouts.

Amazon is a bad example. The law is changing, but until recently it was the buyer's responsibility to report the purchase and pay the tax on the tax return, the seller only had to collect sales tax if they had a physical presence in the buyer's home state. So, for any state other than Washington Amazon did not have to collect taxes and most people "forgot" to pay those in their returns. To avoid this, the law is changing to force sellers to collect tax even when they do not have a physical presence in the buyer's home state.

Last edited by afv011; 11-02-2013 at 06:12 PM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #23
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:

Amazon is a bad example. The law is changing, but until recently it was the buyer's responsibility to report the purchase and pay the tax on the tax return, the seller only had to collect sales tax if they had a physical presence in the buyer's home state. So, for any state other than Washington Amazon did not have to collect taxes and most people "forgot" to pay those in their returns. To avoid this, the law is changing to force sellers to collect tax even when they do not have a physical presence in the buyer's home state.
That is only a bad rumor that has been around a long time. Granted there are a few exceptions.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #24
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Here's a couple of Nexus 5 related videos I thought were well done.

Nexus 5 vs. iPhone 5s Camera Test - a great side-by-side comparison of the two cameras

Nexus 5: Black vs. White - a good look at the small cosmetic differences (aside from colour) between the black and white versions of the phone

1080p Video Sample - a two minute video showing what 1080p from the Nexus 5 looks like (includes a bit of zooming as well)

Last edited by K. Molen; 11-06-2013 at 11:42 AM.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:02 AM   #25
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Not worth the money here (Belfast N Ireland) in honesty, I decided yesterday I needed a new phone as my Galaxy S advance was starting to become prehistoric although it was perhaps the best phone I've ever owned in reliability and batterylife, so I went out to buy myself a new one.

I did look at the Nexus 5 but it was priced at £400 outright on my carrier of choice not that I was ever going to buy it I like my Micro SD cards too much and after my last phone it was always going to be a Samsung.

Decided to go for the successor of my old S Advance (high mid range) which I believe is the S4 Mini and it's actually the smoothest Android phone I've ever used I'm so far very happy was quite a bit less money than the Nexus as well.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #26
Marseille
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Decided to go for the successor of my old S Advance (high mid range) which I believe is the S4 Mini and it's actually the smoothest Android phone I've ever used I'm so far very happy was quite a bit less money than the Nexus as well.
I was very interested in that one back in march. Samsung didn't bother announcing it until June, and while it has seen wide release elsewhere since, it still hasn't been released in my market (the S3 mini just hit ATT a couple of months ago ), and the few versions that are incoming are carrier locked. In the meantime, the Nexus 4 firesale before the N5 intro'd gave me a completely unlocked phone for probably close to half what the s4 mini will retail for.

FWIW though, I'd have been somewhat more inclined towards an s4 mini if it had been available sooner. SD card, user removeable battery, S Stripe AMOLED... After months of no word on when it would become available, and the s3 mini coming like a year later here than elsewhere, I just gave up waiting. It's a nice phone though.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #27
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Right, but that excuse doesn't apply to the similarly overpriced 16 GB Nexus 7, for example... Also, the link I gave is not a carrier but a leading consumer electronics chain here, like BestBuy in the US. Well, I'm sure the Nexus 5 price will drop at least below €400 one day -- the only question is, how long it will take for that price drop to occur.
From what I understand google is only selling the nexus 5 from its own store. Where as its Lg that is selling every where else so google might be willing to sell at cost but the telcos and other retailers are keeping their margins.
For me the Annoying thing is that google sells its devices to Australia at cost and they are shipped from Singapore where I live but LG sells the devices for about $100 more in Singapore.
When someone inquired LG representative told them because it costs more to send to Singapore .

Last edited by Dopedangel; 11-07-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #28
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I was very interested in that one back in march. Samsung didn't bother announcing it until June, and while it has seen wide release elsewhere since, it still hasn't been released in my market (the S3 mini just hit ATT a couple of months ago ), and the few versions that are incoming are carrier locked. In the meantime, the Nexus 4 firesale before the N5 intro'd gave me a completely unlocked phone for probably close to half what the s4 mini will retail for.

FWIW though, I'd have been somewhat more inclined towards an s4 mini if it had been available sooner. SD card, user removeable battery, S Stripe AMOLED... After months of no word on when it would become available, and the s3 mini coming like a year later here than elsewhere, I just gave up waiting. It's a nice phone though.
Yeah I'll be the first to admit the S4 mini isn't exactly cutting edge specs but it was exactly what I was after as I always wanted a smaller version of the S3 (S3 mini was basically the phone I already had in the S Advance) and when I saw the S4 mini was beating the S3 in benchmarks that's all I really needed to know and finally yesterday I couldn't resist the urge for a new phone.

From my playing with it most of yesterday it's actually blowing away my expectations, the camera is very good for an 8mp and seriously fast, somehow my data speed is about three times faster than on my old phone (did a speed test and got 18mb down my old S Advance got at best 5 or 6mb) with the same SIM and it should get faster still when 4g finally hits my carrier, the actual home screens and menus are very fluid and quick.

Really impressed with it so far it's punching well above what the specs would suggest and I think the IR blaster is a really useful feature.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:57 AM   #29
mikeanderson
mikeanderson began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yes, I really like features of nexus 5 like android 4.4, large screen display, and many more good extra features that attract me to buy this phone. Actually I am eager to buy this phone.
mikeanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #30
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I got one for my wife and she's switching from an iPhone 4. I just got a Galaxy Note a year and 4 months ago and I've got a PS4 coming in the mail in about 10 days time so as much as I would like to, I don't think I can pull the trigger on another one for myself.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote