Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
scottiegazelle
scottiegazelle began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 10
Moon Reader + Calibre + tags

I apologize if this is repeated or obvious, but I've done an extensive search of the forums for quite a bit today and I can't seem to find the answer to my question.

I spent a lot of time cleaning up my tags in Calibre, but when I uploaded my books into Moon Reader on my Nexus 10 today, the tags were a long chain rather than individual tags. For instance, I have a single tag in Moon Reader called "Action & Adventure; YA - Adventure; Cultural - Japan; YA - Historical Fiction"

Shockingly, the only books under that extended tag are part of a series.

Is there any way to break that up into four separate tags, and to do so in mass quantities? Obviously, I can individually change them, but I'd rather not do that for my 2000+ ebooks.

Thanks!
SG
scottiegazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
scottiegazelle
scottiegazelle began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 10
I didn't find a direct solution, but I'm posting what I wound up doing here for anyone who comes after with the same problem.

Following another post in this forum, I installed Calibre Companion, which I saw received rave reviews on multiple posts, on my tablet. From there, I can open the book in my ebook reader. The wireless transfer feature is nice, but the part I really enjoy (thus far; I'm still in the process of transferring my books so I haven't spent a great deal of time playing with it) is being able to search by my tags, which I had spent some time cleaning up. One of my biggest problems with ebooks has always been the inability to browse the same way you do when your books are on a bookshelf (and my books are arranged according to my OCD, even as the rest of my house is a mess). Tags help me with that, so when I want to read historical fiction or nonfiction or the like, I can scan that part of my collection.

Anyway, if there's a direct solution, I'd still be somewhat interested in hearing it, but this was how I solved the problem.
scottiegazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
Firedb
Enthusiast
Firedb began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note 8 rooted
I can't stand tags, I have mine sorted by series, and any single books I just browse via author
Firedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedb View Post
I can't stand tags, I have mine sorted by series, and any single books I just browse via author
Tags are hard to learn to love, especially for oldtimers like me. Once you learn how you can best use them they become pretty handy. You can make hierarchical structures like you do with folders. The ability to have multiple tags is invaluable. Reader software that allows searching by tags really makes this handy. Also, Calibre tags will allow you to customize your folder structure when you transfer books for those readers that don't support tags.

It took me a while to start using tags. I saw how others used them and picked the ways that seemed best for me. Tags aren't for everyone but I no longer think of them as worthless.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
testrider
testrider began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard,Samsung Galaxy S2
Thanks. I have the same question and it seems like a bug in Moon+ Reader. I'll check out Calibre Companion. Me too I use tags to organize my books and Moon+ Reader dumped the individual tags into a long string.
testrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by testrider View Post
Thanks. I have the same question and it seems like a bug in Moon+ Reader. I'll check out Calibre Companion. Me too I use tags to organize my books and Moon+ Reader dumped the individual tags into a long string.
I have never had Moon+ jumble up or combine tags as described in the first post. The best bet is this is a metadata plugboard or other problem in how the OP has things set up in calibre.

That said, using Calibre Companion is so much easier than scrolling through a long list of individual tags. I highly recommend using Calibre Companion for managing your books on any android tablet or phone.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote