Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

I installed the trial version directly from the Amazon app store. Don't won't to spend even $1 on apps until I decided if I will keep the Fire HD. But I think the Fire HD GUI works a little differently than I remember of the one on the original Fire. To view the notification area and menus within Kindle app you tap near the top of the screen, just like before. To view anything that is in the notification area you now have to place you finger on the top of the screen and drag down. This doesn't open another window or a popup, it does cause a dark veil curtain that is slightly transparent to slide down and cover the screen and reveals what is in the notification area. Tapping on Screen Dim brings it up in its own full size window. There is no popup. When finished adjusting, you tap back to return to the book.

BTW: As you can see the screen is not anti-glare as advertised and it is quite a magnet for fingerprints and dust.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-26-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I installed the trial version directly from the Amazon app store. Don't won't to spend even $1 on apps until I decided if I will keep the Fire HD. But I think the Fire HD GUI works a little differently than I remember of the one on the original Fire. To view the notification area and menus within Kindle app you tap near the top of the screen, just like before. To view anything that is in the notification area you now have to place you finger on the top of the screen and drag down. This doesn't open another window or a popup, it does cause a dark veil curtain that is slightly transparent to slide down and cover the screen and reveals what is in the notification area. Tapping on Screen Dim brings it up in its own full size window. There is no popup. When finished adjusting, you tap back to return to the book.

BTW: As you can see the screen is not anti-glare as advertised and it is quite a magnet for fingerprints and dust.
You have to set it as a popup in Screen Dim settings. Open Screen Dim then hit the menu button to get to settings. As for the notification area all Android do that. It's nothing new to Tap the top then drag the the window down. I do like they added the menu at the top though instead of hitting gear to get to it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You have to set it as a popup in Screen Dim settings. Open Screen Dim then hit the menu button to get to settings. As for the notification area all Android do that. It's nothing new to Tap the top then drag the the window down. I do like they added the menu at the top though instead of hitting gear to get to it.
Cool, thx!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #19
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Make sure you have the lastest version. Screen Dim is a pop up now. You just click it from the notification area and a little overlay window shows.
You can see the reader page as you adjust.

It takes seconds to get it where you want. You can then save it as a preset by long pressing on one of the buttons.
Thanks Blossom. That was what I needed too.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:02 PM   #20
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Screen Dim may clash with Autobrightness on the KFHD7-32.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #21
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Make sure you have the lastest version. Screen Dim is a pop up now. You just click it from the notification area and a little overlay window shows.
You can see the reader page as you adjust.

It takes seconds to get it where you want. You can then save it as a preset by long pressing on one of the buttons.

I'm not getting the pop-up but I went into settings of Screen Dim app/Notification bar/when active. Is there an update for the app? I bought it about 3-4 weeks ago. What am I doing wrong? I can't make it come up while I'm in a book.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I'm not getting the pop-up but I went into settings of Screen Dim app/Notification bar/when active. Is there an update for the app? I bought it about 3-4 weeks ago. What am I doing wrong? I can't make it come up while I'm in a book.
You have to set it in the app's settings for it to pop up.

Thank you all for your input on the fonts. I've decided not to upgrade unless something happens with my KF. I'm getting a Samsung Galaxy Player 5 instead.
As some of you know. I have dyslexia so fonts matter alot to me. To be able to distinguish the letters which make it easy it for me to read. Trebuchet does that for me on the KF so I'm happy with my KF. I tried reading with Lucida but I didn't enjoy it as much.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-02-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #23
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:

Thank you all for your input on the fonts. I've decided not to upgrade unless something happens with my KF. I'm getting a Samsung Galaxy Player 5 instead.
As some of you know. I have dyslexia so fonts matter alot to me. To be able to distinguish the letters which make it easy it for me to read. Trebuchet does that for me on the KF so I'm happy with my KF. I tried reading with Lucida but I didn't enjoy it as much.
What I don't understand on the KFHD is why you can't change the typefont via Calibre. When I send a book I converted to a larger print the KFHD didn't take the larger size like my Kindle DX does.

Blossom how will you get that typefont on your new toy? Does it come with that particular font?
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
What I don't understand on the KFHD is why you can't change the typefont via Calibre. When I send a book I converted to a larger print the KFHD didn't take the larger size like my Kindle DX does.

Blossom how will you get that typefont on your new toy? Does it come with that particular font?
One word Mantano.

I grabbed a copy from KF and working on making it a tad bolder because other apps render it too thin unlike Kindle app on the Fire.

Try converting the book to AZW3. You will have to sideload it not email it to the KFHD but it should keep the font size.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #25
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I went into the settings in Screen Dim, but nothing there makes it pop up while I'm in a book. The compact setting brings it up as a smaller box over the carousel but not in a book.

I'm missing something here.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I went into the settings in Screen Dim, but nothing there makes it pop up while I'm in a book. The compact setting brings it up as a smaller box over the carousel but not in a book.

I'm missing something here.
Do you have it set to sit in the notification area? That's how you open in book. You swipe down the notification area and hit Screen Dim then the compact box opens up.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:31 AM   #27
mlewis78
Guru

Quote:
Do you have it set to sit in the notification area? That's how you open in book. You swipe down the notification area and hit Screen Dim then the compact box opens up.
The notification area comes up when I swipe down from the home page (carousel). The screen dim app doesn't show under notifications.

In the settings of the app, there is an option for notification bar and to set it "when active" and "always". I've tried it both ways with no difference.

When I'm in a book, nothing happens if I swipe down. In the book, if I tap in the middle of the screen, I get the various kindle settings, such as Aa, go to, notes, X-Ray, Share and Bookmark. That's all. No screen dim.

I asked about this in the screen dim thread.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #28
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
KFHD screen clarity

Quote:
The KFHD has far more screen clarity than the KF1G. Try it at a neighbor's house or at a nearby store.

I use the Georgia font on the KFHD but the Helvetica font is even clearer. On the PW I use the Helvetica font and it is VERY clear especially if you use Level 7 size fonts.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The KFHD has far more screen clarity than the KF1G. Try it at a neighbor's house or at a nearby store.

I use the Georgia font on the KFHD but the Helvetica font is even clearer. On the PW I use the Helvetica font and it is VERY clear especially if you use Level 7 size fonts.
Helvetica is too uniform for me. It's not about how clear a font is. It's about how recognizable the letters are and the weight. The only Serif font I can stand is Amasis that was modified for eink due to how the weight is distributed. Caecilia Condensed is another font I can use but not regular Caecilia. They are different even if they have the same name. I prefer Sans Serif fonts but it looks like they took them away.

Size 7 is way tooo big. I use size 4 on my Kindles.

I'm happy with my KFv1. The font on it allows me to read for hours.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #30
mlewis78
Guru

I use Helvetica on my KFHD, but I'm reading much more on my K4B (sans-serif), because the fonts on my fire are very thin.