Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-03-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
Baltic Gal
Baltic Gal began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Red face Epub validation question

Hello I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I'm working on turning a family member's manuscript into a epub. I've never made an epub before (web sites with basic XHTML yes, epubs no.) This whole process has been a bit of adventure for me. And headache.

I've already turned the files into an epub and went through the validation at Threepress Consulting Inc's web site once. Errors came up and I went in and fixed those. Rezipped the files and when I sent it through the validation at Threepress only one error came up.

It's now saying the META-INF file is not there. This error didn't come up the first time around.

It's there. I'm not sure what's going on or what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone help?

Thank You.
Baltic Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
It has to be ziped correctly. i.e in a certain order.
See here for Windows users:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84675

And here for Mac users:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=epub+zip
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #3
maggievnc
Enthusiast
maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, maclibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltic Gal View Post
Hello I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I'm working on turning a family member's manuscript into a epub. I've never made an epub before (web sites with basic XHTML yes, epubs no.) This whole process has been a bit of adventure for me. And headache.

I've already turned the files into an epub and went through the validation at Threepress Consulting Inc's web site once. Errors came up and I went in and fixed those. Rezipped the files and when I sent it through the validation at Threepress only one error came up.

It's now saying the META-INF file is not there. This error didn't come up the first time around.

It's there. I'm not sure what's going on or what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone help?

Thank You.
Well, after going thrugh a helish time with this epub thing I found the best way is working with the smashwords style guide. http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52 (it's free)

this is a STEP BY STEP GUIDE instructing how to prepare your WORD file to epub. after doing that i finally received from the epub validation website the words i was longing to: PASSED and VALID.....
I can assure you that once you follow this guide it will work. (except for some exceptions like a problematic url link.. or so.:-;

anyway if you need any further assistance - i will gladly do so.
good luck,
Sara

http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/saradagan
maggievnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:30 AM   #4
Baltic Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
It has to be ziped correctly. i.e in a certain order.
See here for Windows users:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84675

And here for Mac users:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=epub+zip
I know that. I am/have done a lot of research into epub before and during this whole process.

I used the method from Elizabeth Castro's book "Epub Straight to the Point" to zip it. The first time around the errors I got were in the XHTML and the TOC part. I fixed those and re-zipped it and then the only error message I got was this: ERROR: MaryQueenOfScots.epub: Required META-INF/container.xml resource is missing

It didn't come up the first time around, but the second. I used the link you provided and zipped it that way and still got that same message.

I'm not sure what is going on, the META INF folder and the container.xml is there. I've checked it and double checked it. I'm sure it's something simple, I just would love to know what it is.

Thanks for the links by and by.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:45 AM   #5
Baltic Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggievnc View Post
Well, after going thrugh a helish time with this epub thing I found the best way is working with the smashwords style guide. http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52 (it's free)

this is a STEP BY STEP GUIDE instructing how to prepare your WORD file to epub. after doing that i finally received from the epub validation website the words i was longing to: PASSED and VALID.....
I can assure you that once you follow this guide it will work. (except for some exceptions like a problematic url link.. or so.:-;

anyway if you need any further assistance - i will gladly do so.
good luck,
Sara

http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/saradagan
That didn't really help me. Sorry. I did the entire XHTML markup myself in Dreamweaver along with the toc.ncx and content.opf files. The formatting is done (and surprisingly in some ways easier then doing the markup for a web site) I'm just having a problem with that pesky error message at epub validator.

Thank you for trying.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:01 AM   #6
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Quote:
I know that. I am/have done a lot of research into epub before and during this whole process.

I'm not sure what is going on, the META INF folder and the container.xml is there. I've checked it and double checked it. I'm sure it's something simple, I just would love to know what it is.

Thanks for the links by and by.
Well ok. I was unaware you did all this research.

Container.xhtml is in your content.opf manifest?
Can you post your content.opf file here?
Old 06-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
maggievnc
Enthusiast
maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maggievnc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, maclibre
sometimes it's just a link you put that causes all the trouble. that's what happend to me, only after i removed that link - it passed.
maggievnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:43 AM   #8
Baltic Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
Well ok. I was unaware you did all this research.

Container.xhtml is in your content.opf manifest?
Can you post your content.opf file here?
The container.xml is in the META-INF folder.

I'm attaching the epub that isn't validating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love to know what I'm doing wrong.
Attached Files
File Type: epub MaryQueenOfScots.epub (768.2 KB, 209 views)
Old 06-09-2011, 03:13 AM   #9
thydere
thydere began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
The container.xml is in the META-INF folder.

I'm attaching the epub that isn't validating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love to know what I'm doing wrong.
The META-INF directory with your container.xml file contains a tailing space. Meaning that the file entry that should look like 'META-INF/container.xml' looks like 'META-INF /container.xml'.

Remove the tailing space and try again .

Update: Ugh... just repacked your epub. It can now be opened in ADE, but it contains a truckload of errors - among them invalid attributes (you misspelled src as scr which leads to a broken toc). But they are easily fixed (epubcheck is your friend), so it seems that you're pretty close to the end of your journey .

Last edited by thydere; 06-09-2011 at 03:24 AM.
thydere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:23 AM   #10
Adjust
Addict

Yeap. What thydere said.

And then deal with all the other errors that have popped up
Old 06-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #11
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
A really very interesting case.
A tiny space makes an epub crashed.

But how could that happen, I tried input a space after a folder name
on my PC, but it's trimmed by Windows automatically.
eping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #12
Adjust
Addict

Mac's keep the space in the folder name
Old 06-10-2011, 04:21 AM   #13
thydere
thydere began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
What Adjust said.

Plus: epub (well, OCF to be precise) specifies for two files to be be present with specific names: mimetype and META-INF/container.xml. The first one declares the zip to be of type epub, the second one serves as starting point telling the program the location and type of the content of the book.
With the space in the directory the file did not have the required name anymore - therefore to the epub engine the the second file (and thus the information on how to find the book content) was missing.

You're right in that windows will automatically erase tailing spaces from created directories (which isn't true for neither Linux nor OSX - didn't know that last tidbit myself until I unpacked the ebook in question).
Unfortunately the zipping process is not simply copying files from A to B. You can declare the specific content entry in the zip header (think file system in a single file) while creating your ebook - and my guess is that something went wrong in that step.

And the Moral of the Story: Computers suck. Use Magic Marker on Papyrus for a change...
thydere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:32 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thydere View Post
And the Moral of the Story: Computers suck. Use Magic Marker on Papyrus for a change...
The moral is not to use OS X for any real work. Use Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The moral is not to use OS X for any real work. Use Windows.

pholy is offline   Reply With Quote