Notices

Old 10-26-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
holysmoer
Enthusiast
holysmoer began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 2
Help with .cbr and .cbz on Aura One

Hello,
I'm a new happy owner of KA1 since few days. Before I had an Aura HD and was happy too,but new size convince me to change.
Well I want to know if there is any possibility to change width for cbr and cbz comics archive,cause it seems to not take all the possibly space.
Of course I saw it is possible for epub,but comics? Thanks in advanced for who will try to help me
holysmoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
hkckoo
Connoisseur
hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Aura One
not possible in nickel (native) OS in a nice way. you can zoom to width, but if you want to see the rest of the page, you have to use touch gestures to scroll down the page, which takes multiple refreshes and some time. if you want to read comics easily, try using a different OS, like for example koreader.
hkckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #3
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I suggest you use Kindle Comic Converter to convert your files with the KA1 profile, so that they fit your screen in the best way possible. You'll find the thread in Mobileread pretty easily through the search engine.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:05 AM   #4
holysmoer
Enthusiast

Thanks guys for fast answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkckoo View Post
not possible in nickel (native) OS in a nice way. you can zoom to width, but if you want to see the rest of the page, you have to use touch gestures to scroll down the page, which takes multiple refreshes and some time. if you want to read comics easily, try using a different OS, like for example koreader.
I heard about Koreader (I used it also in Pocketbook with pleasure) but I didn't know was possible to use also in Kobo. Btw it will effect only for cbr and cbz?

Quote:
I suggest you use Kindle Comic Converter to convert your files with the KA1 profile, so that they fit your screen in the best way possible. You'll find the thread in Mobileread pretty easily through the search engine.
It seems bit complicate,but I will search the 3d and I will try also this option.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #5
hkckoo
Connoisseur
hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hkckoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it will affect every format you open in it, but with KSM, you can have both nickel and koreader on one device.
installation instructions are here:
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...n-Kobo-devices
you have to use version 622 and higher from nightly builds, only those work on KA1:
http://hal9k.ifsc.usp.br/koreader/

btw kindle comic converter is useless and wont solve anything, it will only convert the images to screen resolution of your desired device, but the borders of white space will still be there.

Last edited by hkckoo; 10-27-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Advert
Old 10-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #6
holysmoer
Enthusiast

Quote:
it will affect every format you open in it, but with KSM, you can have both nickel and koreader on one device.
installation instructions are here:
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...n-Kobo-devices
you have to use version 622 and higher from nightly builds, only those work on KA1:
http://hal9k.ifsc.usp.br/koreader/

btw kindle comic converter is useless and wont solve anything, it will only convert the images to screen resolution of your desired device, but the borders of white space will still be there.
It is written "Extract the koreader folder of the zip into the .adds directory of your device" where is this folder?

EDIT: the file nightly that I downloaded is .targz. What I have to do with it? I don't know how to open in windows :-/

Last edited by holysmoer; 10-27-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:41 AM   #7
dalamario
Enthusiast
dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: KOBO Aura HD, KOBO Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoer View Post
It is written "Extract the koreader folder of the zip into the .adds directory of your device" where is this folder?

EDIT: the file nightly that I downloaded is .targz. What I have to do with it? I don't know how to open in windows :-/
This is valid if you have installed KSM08 and you should have this folder on root of internal memory.
If you have not installed KSM, than you have to install it in order to start koreader, or you have to install fmon as an alternative (in this case, koreader folder have to be put on .kobo dir).
dalamario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #8
hkckoo
Connoisseur

as to extracting the downloaded archive, 7zip will help you with that.
http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

basically what you need to do is just install KSM(kobo start menu) on your ereader. it can be later uninstalled and the device can be returned to its default state.
then you just need to extract and copy the koreader folder to .adds directory and you are done.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #9
dalamario
Enthusiast
dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.dalamario has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: KOBO Aura HD, KOBO Aura One
Quote:
as to extracting the downloaded archive, 7zip will help you with that.
http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

basically what you need to do is just install KSM(kobo start menu) on your ereader. it can be later uninstalled and the device can be returned to its default state.
then you just need to extract and copy the koreader folder to .adds directory and you are done.
To integrate what hkckoo wrote, use 7zip to open the targz file, then double click on the file you find inside the targz and extract the koreader folder.

Last edited by dalamario; 10-27-2016 at 10:54 AM.
dalamario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #10
hkckoo
Connoisseur

and one last thing, as you are using KA1, after installing KSM 8, you need to do this little extra step
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=221
and only then you can continue with koreader.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #11
holysmoer
Enthusiast

Quote:
and one last thing, as you are using KA1, after installing KSM 8, you need to do this little extra step
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=221
and only then you can continue with koreader.
Thank you!
Old 10-27-2016, 10:56 AM   #12
hkckoo
Connoisseur

I just found a newer version of koreader, so since you are going with it, you might just install the latest version
http://build.koreader.rocks/download/nightly/
a .zip archive is also available, so you can skip the whole deal with 7zip if you want to
http://build.koreader.rocks/download...8-g683b038.zip

//also these last few nightly builds have integrated "frontlight on tap" and "frontlight sensitivity on swipe" option similar to the one in nickel, but it doesnt seem to work very well on KA1.
later you might want to change the values in a file located in .adds/koreader/frontend/apps/reader/modules/readerkobolight.lua
line 13
default values are:
Code:
llocal DTAP_ZONE_KOBOLIGHTTOGGLE = {x = 0, y = 0.9375, w = 0.1, h = 0.0625 }
for best results on KA1 use:
Code:
local DTAP_ZONE_KOBOLIGHTTOGGLE = {x = 0, y = 0.9, w = 0.2, h = 0.3 }

Last edited by hkckoo; 10-27-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:02 AM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You could try here for the latest nightly version. ( v2015.11-658 today ).

A slight correction, KOReader is not an OS. In fact it runs under the same Kobo Linux that the stock reading programs and the Nickel UI run under. (For Kobo devices, of course. For Kindles, Pocketbooks, and Android devices, their respective OS is used.) The KOReader project includes its own User Interface (UI), written in the LUA scripting language, that can call on both the Coolreader3 Engine and a MuPDF based engine.

CBZ files that are processed by the Kindle Comic Converter work fine in KOReader on my Kobo AuraHD.

There is a KOReader forum here now, btw.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #14
holysmoer
Enthusiast

So basically if I understand well:

1) first I have to install KSM8 from this page. Safely remove Aura1 from windows and wait that it install.

2) Extract the koreader nightly version that you guys suggest into the .adds directory of your device.

Finish. Am I right?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #15
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalamario View Post
This is valid if you have installed KSM08 and you should have this folder on root of internal memory.
If you have not installed KSM, than you have to install it in order to start koreader, or you have to install fmon as an alternative (in this case, koreader folder have to be put on .kobo dir).
What I do with the .targz files, when downloading them to my PC, is to use the "Save As" option and shorten the file name to "KOReader-kobo-v2015.11-658.gz". (WinRAR and 7-zip, handle .gz files.)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote