Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Post The best Bible for your Kindle

Holy Bible – King James Version – KJV (Direct Verse Jump, best navigation, searchable) by God-inspired

A short story:

You can purchase the most useful electronic Bible currently available for the Kindle at www.osnova.com.

The easy way to find it on your Kindle is to search for the word "osnova" in the Kindle store.

Please do not use the sample generated automatically by Amazon (it cripples most of the features of the book). If you need a sample download it right here. To learn how to use all of the features, please read the text below.

A quick note: at this time, I do not guarantee that all features will work on Kindle 1 because I do not have access to it.

A longer tale:

After looking at almost all versions of the Bible available for the Kindle, I was not satisfied with any of them. I am not just a casual reader of the Bible (when you pick up reading right where you left off the previous time). I need to be able to turn to a specific verse anywhere in the Bible at a moment's notice while studying a specific passage, reading a theological book or listening to a sermon. As a result, even the versions with the hyperlinked tables of contents were not sufficient for me. I have come up with the Direct Verse Jump technique, which allows you in a couple of clicks’ worth of seconds to open any verse in the Bible.

Moreover, almost all versions that I could find do not preserve the formatting and delete some of the text that I find in my paper copy of the Bible (for example, italics, small caps for "LORD", the headings of many Psalms, or the Hebrew letter names in Psalm 119, KJV notes at the end of some of the Paul's epistles). So, I have decided to make another Kindle version of the Authorized Version to correct all of these issues. It has been a long haul, but now I am ready to share this version with you.

Features of this Kindle KJV Bible, which has the same text as your paper copy:
  • Direct Verse Jump, a revolutionary new method to open the exact verse you need in seconds (see more information below)
  • two other ways to navigate between books and chapters: (i) using a hyperlinked table of contents; and (ii) pressing the joystick right or left to move between books of the Bible. Once you learn all of the three navigation methods (in addition to the typical page-flipping), you will be able to open any verse in your Kindle Bible as fast as (or even faster than) in your paper copy.
  • correctly formatted (i.e., preserving the formatting of the original KJV – italics, small caps in LORD, etc.)
  • includes original KJV translators’ notes (your paper copy may have omitted them; all you need is to click on the hyperlinked dagger and when finished with the note to press “Back”)
  • original text, notes, book titles carefully preserved (e.g., see the notes at the end of the Paul's epistles, which are found in the original KJV or titles of the psalms)
  • it is easy to determine where you are in the Bible (each chapter gives you the name of the book)
  • Jesus’ words are in bold
  • as any Kindle book, the KJV Bible is searchable; however, when you first install the file please wait for the Kindle to index the whole Bible! The file is large and it takes a long time to index. For this reason, the DVJ navigation method will be available only after the book has been indexed.

Direct Verse Jump, a new navigation method using the search functionality:
In this version, all you need to do is type an abbreviated book name, then a period, then a chapter number, a period again, and then a verse number and press the “find” twice. That’s it! You do not need to wait for the Kindle to display the search results. You will be looking at that particular verse in seconds. If you just need to open the first verse of any chapter then the verse number is not necessary. Do not forget periods and use only the abbreviations that are listed below.

For example, if you wish to select chapter 3 of Genesis, you would:

1. type the standard abbreviation for Genesis (see below), then period, and finally number "3"; in other words: ge.3
2. click “find” twice and you are there.

For John 3:16, you type jn.3.16 and double click “find”.

Note that you should put the chapter number even for books that have only one chapter. For example, Epistle of Jude verse 5 would translate to jud.1.5 and a double click on “find.”

Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Book name abbreviations are now listed in the table of contents
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-12562.gif
Views:	3398
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	37723   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-12563.gif
Views:	2926
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	37724   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-12564.gif
Views:	2563
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	37725   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-12565.gif
Views:	2574
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	37726  
Attached Files
File Type: mobi KJV-sample.mobi (1.02 MB, 2304 views)

Last edited by osnova; 11-28-2010 at 06:49 PM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
Great work! How about doing the same for a newer translation? The NET Bible publishers are still looking for someone to make a better version of their bible for the Kindle. See http://bible.org/downloads
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Fast verse navigation!

Great job!

I love the way you incorporated the strength of other Kindle versions (namely the chapter and verse navigation from the Table of Contents ability) but in addition, allow for going straight to the desired verse by simply typing in the abbreviated book, chapter, and verse and double-clicking "Find". This is an incredible time saver!

For those who don't know how that works: If you want to go to Isaiah 7:14, simply type "isa.7.14" (minus the quotes), double-click "Find", and you're there.

One thing I would like to see in future versions is either a list of the book abbreviations immediately following the Table of Contents or the abbreviated name in parenthesis after the full name in the table of Contents.

This is a fantastic edition. Thanks for all the hard work.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Great job!

I love the way you incorporated the strength of other Kindle versions (namely the chapter and verse navigation from the Table of Contents ability) but in addition, allow for going straight to the desired verse by simply typing in the abbreviated book, chapter, and verse and double-clicking "Find". This is an incredible time saver!
And.. don't forget that you can also jump between books by pressing the joystick (that four-way thingy) right or left.

Quote:
One thing I would like to see in future versions is either a list of the book abbreviations immediately following the Table of Contents or the abbreviated name in parenthesis after the full name in the table of Contents.
I was going back and forth on this one. Should I include the instructions in the book itself or not? Some people may see that I ruin the original text for them.

Quote:
This is a fantastic edition. Thanks for all the hard work.
You are very welcome. Thanks for the review on Amazon website too. I need it to promote it to more people.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindasauge View Post
Great work! How about doing the same for a newer translation? The NET Bible publishers are still looking for someone to make a better version of their bible for the Kindle. See http://bible.org/downloads
Thanks for encouraging words. I am currently thinking about other public domain translations that could benefit from my "Kindlization". I'll look at NET (is it PD?), WEB. What do people actually use?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
The NET translation is the best one in the public domain that I know of. When I can't get to an NRSV or NIV I tend towards it.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
The NET translation is the best one in the public domain that I know of. When I can't get to an NRSV or NIV I tend towards it.
I have just looked closer at the NET legal status. Unfortunately, it is not public domain. http://bible.org/article/trademark-a...ht-information

Quote:
It cannot be bundled with anything sold, nor can you charge for shipping, handling, or anything. It cannot be posted on other websites or servers (see Electronic Access below) ... For software downloaded from the site, e.g. NET Bible html files or program modules, you cannot change the format of the NET Bible® data file(s) or integrate it into or bundle it with any other software e.g. display program or bible study tool without expressed permission.
Actually, I've just re-read their request for a better Kindle version. I have just sent them a request for permission to proceed. If you think this is a worthy endeavor, please add your voice here or send your thoughts directly to them.

Last edited by osnova; 10-31-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Quote:
the abbreviated name in parenthesis after the full name in the table of Contents
Actually, this suggestion makes complete sense. I do not promise to do it soon (I'll wait for other feedback first, plus Amazon publishing/republishing process takes forever, I do not want to disrupt the current version)

=====
On a separate note, how much would people be willing to pay for the NET with all of the notes on their Kindles? Just testing the waters. It appears that the NET with the notes for the Kindle may actually happen.

I also want to see how big the file will be with all of the 60,000 notes.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
Spoon Man
Groupie
Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 1
I'd be interested in the NET, but what I'd love to see is "The Message". Its my favorite translation (aside from KJV) and the easiest to read (IMHO).
Spoon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe
the abbreviated name in parenthesis after the full name in the table of Contents
Actually, this suggestion makes complete sense. I do not promise to do it soon (I'll wait for other feedback first, plus Amazon publishing/republishing process takes forever, I do not want to disrupt the current version)
Thanks! I'll buy that the updated version as well!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #11
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
thank you so much for this one!

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:26 AM   #12
kelvincai
kelvincai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Thank you very much for this Bible. Very easy to navigate.

I am looking for a Chinese Union version and World English version with similar version. Bother are public domain. Basically, there are lack of Bibles in other languages for Kindle.

If you are pleased to share your work, we could develop the Chinese Union version and World English version together. I am fluent in English and Chinese.
kelvincai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #13
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlobee View Post
thank you so much for this one!
You are very welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvincai View Post
Thank you very much for this Bible. Very easy to navigate.

I am looking for a Chinese Union version and World English version with similar version. Bother are public domain. Basically, there are lack of Bibles in other languages for Kindle.

If you are pleased to share your work, we could develop the Chinese Union version and World English version together. I am fluent in English and Chinese.
You know that the U.S. Kindle does not support other languages (Chinese, Russian, etc.) unless you apply a hack? If you have applied the hack (oops, I see you have the International Kindle, does it support Chinese?) then I think I can help you with the Chinese if you find me CU in a structured format (OSIS, XML, even one verse per line). I'll need some English guideposts (Book names and chapters, verses) in the file in order not mess up the Bible.

I have already started work on the World English (WEB) translation. So, it will be released at some point. However, the top priority project that I am working on right now is the NET Bible, hopefully with all of its notes. I'll let you know when I can work on other translations.

Last edited by osnova; 10-22-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

By the way, don't forget to leave feedback on the Amazon website, if you feel like it. I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
Congratulations on a fine effort, I have purchased a copy. I don't know if the DVJ method would be considered 'proprietary intellectual property' or not, but if so perhaps it would be worth your contacting Zondervan and other e-bible publishers to discuss licensing the technique. I would like to see Zondervan's NIV with this capability. If the method isn't a true proprietary IP, is it something that you would consider teaching others to utilize when making other reference books on the Kindle?
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote