Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Updating Kindle firmware

I have a Kindle whose serial number begins 90C6, which I understand means "Kindle Basic 2014". I went looking for software updates (my current version is 5.6.0.1) on Amazon's website. Of course, Amazon do not list any such model as a "Basic 2014", so I tried "Paperwhite 6th Generation". I downloaded version 5.6.5, copied it across to the Kindle as per Amazon's instructions, and when I ejected the Kindle it said "An update error occurred" (but no details of what the error was, of course -- that would make it too easy!).

So I assume that what I've got is not a Paperwhite 6th Generation: can anyone tell me the Amazon-speak equivalent of "Kindle Basic 2014: please?

TIA!
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Subject line should be "Updating Kindle firmware", of course, but I can't find a way to edit the subject line or to delete and repost... sorry about that!
Advert
Old 12-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Not sure what Calibre has to do with any of this, but...

Here are the help pages for your model...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201584980

Here is the link to the firmware...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201605570

Last edited by AnemicOak; 12-23-2015 at 12:39 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Moving thread to Kindle
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can always find out which Kindle you have at Kindle Serial Numbers. You have the KT2; unfortunately, Amazon is less helpful ab out specifying which model is which.

http://amazon.com/kindlesoftwareupdates -- firmware updates for all Kindle models.
As AnemicOak says, yours is listed under "Kindle (7th Generation)" -- let's ignore that it isn't the only 7th-generation device.

P.S. You can report your post using the button under your profile info next to your post. Leave a message that you want the title fixed (and the thread moved...).
DO NOT post a new thread, see the Posting Guidelines, particularly: #3 Duplication.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2015, 04:04 AM   #6
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You can always find out which Kindle you have at Kindle Serial Numbers. You have the KT2; unfortunately, Amazon is less helpful ab out specifying which model is which.
Indeed. As I said originally, I had the SN, and translated this to "Kindle Basic 2014:, aka "KT2". This turns out to be "Kindle (7th Generation)" in Amazon-speak, and I have now updated successfully.

Perhaps someone who knows more about all this than I do should create a table which gives Amazon-speak equivalents for names like "KT2"? (It would also help if Amazon actually had the model number on the case somewhere, rather than having to go through menu after menu to get the SN and then look up what it means on forums like this one -- but hey, it's Amazon, what can you say... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
P.S. You can report your post using the button under your profile info next to your post. Leave a message that you want the title fixed (and the thread moved...).
DO NOT post a new thread, see the Posting Guidelines, particularly: #3 Duplication.[/COLOR]
Thanks. Never would have thought of that. Was looking everywhere for a "delete" button. Again, that would make life too easy...
Old 12-24-2015, 04:05 AM   #7
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not sure what Calibre has to do with any of this, but...
See my followup to my original post. Sometimes my brain and my hands are in different time zones. But thanks for the links!

Tags
kindle, software update