Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #1
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
Kindle Shipped Today - Just Looking Around

Hi all, I'm a Kindle-owner-to-be. Just ordered it yesterday with my Bush Bux. I had not realized the Kindle was out of stock until mid-April (according to the Wiki) and consider myself fortunate to be able to get one! Until it arrives, I can only read about it and make a list of all the books I want to buy!

By the way, I have been reading eBooks since 2000, using first a Palm III, then a Sony Clie SJ22, and currently a Palm TX. Can't wait for the bigger screen!
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello honeybunny, some folks waited 2 months to get their Kindle, hopefully you'll have yours within 2 days, enjoy!
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hi there. This Kindle user is waving to you from Texas.

I waited 5 weeks for my Kindle, but have been really enjoying it since I opened the package on 21 February. Yesterday, I ordered a second Kindle for my sister. We're going to share the expense of books which is why we're keeping them on a single account. Her Kindle has shipped and should arrive tomorrow.

Although Amazon has some very tempting current releases in their catalog, don't get suckered into paying $3.49 or even $.99 for any of the classics. You can get most of those here or at FeedBooks or at ManyBooks. And, if you're reasonably technical, you can get the text from Project Gutenberg and create MobiPocket format books for yourself and to share.

Regards,
Elsi
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I ordered the day after release and I still had to wait a few weeks. I'm so glad they're in stock now. Congratulations! One of the nifty things about the Kindle store is the free samples. They send the samples to your Kindle. It's almost like a reading list, plus you get to read a bit of the book before you actually spend money.

Like Elsi, I wholeheartedly recommend checking out the free book sites. I'm a big fan of Feedbooks.com. Every book I've had from them was well-formatted and they're easy to download directly to the Kindle with their download guide. It's a document with links to all the books. Click the link and it downloads it to the Kindle. Very convenient. When I first got my Kindle, I found many of the Mobipocket books on other free sites didn't have the metadata set correctly for the author, and sometimes not even the title, so they didn't show correctly in the menu. Many also lacked working tables of contents. Maybe they're getting better now, but I never had that issue with books from Feedbooks.com.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ahem! You'll find that most of the Mobi books here work quite well, too . And our books are "hand-crafted masterpieces"!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Actually the books I tried from here at the time had this issue.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek

I just went and checked the old thread. At the time, Nate said it was a Book Designer thing. The author wasn't being set. I also had issues with the ToC working but not being recognized as a ToC by the Kindle so I couldn't go directly to the ToC from the menu.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mobi books created with "Book Designer" do indeed have that issue. Most people uploading books these days, however, are using much better tools. Try anything I've uploaded in the last 3 or 4 months (eg any of the Dickens or Austen books) and I think you'll find that they work just fine on the Kindle, have working contents links, properly-sized illustrations, cover pictures, library information, and everything else required to make you a happy bunny. Try downloading, say, the version of Thackeray's "Vanity Fair" I uploaded a few days ago and take a look at that. Great book and I think you'll find that it looks just fine on the Kindle.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
honeybunny
Connoisseur

Thanks for all of this info. I was under the impression I could read text and Word .doc on the Kindle, and was planning on just ising the .txt from Project Gutenberg for the classics. Alternately, can I not read the .html ones? I can't wait to get it and see what it really CAN do.

Are you taking the PG books and making .mobi's out of them here, then? I wonder if PG has a way to link to you as that would be very useful. I know they have Pluckr format books there.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, many people here created "hand-crafted" versions of PG books for both MobiPocket and Sony, with enormously improved formatting over the PG originals, illustrations, tables of contents, etc.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek

I just downloaded Vanity Fair. It's quite lovely. Nice work!
Old 05-13-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #13
honeybunny
Connoisseur

Thanks for the tip! I'm getting antsy for my Kindle now. I looked and Amazon reports that it shipped, but with no tracking info. It suppoedly should arrive tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunny View Post
I was under the impression I could read text and Word .doc on the Kindle, and was planning on just ising the .txt from Project Gutenberg for the classics.
I think .txt is supposed to work on the Kindle, but the best alternative is to make a DRM-free MOBI file. You can e-mail a .txt/.html/.doc file to Amazon and they will convert it for you (free if you download it manually via e-mail, 10 cents if you download via WhisperNet). Or use Windows MobiPocket Reader to "import" it and produce a .prc file (in your MobiPocket directory with the other MOBI ebooks). Or, if you want more control over the result, use Windows MobiPocket Creator.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #15
honeybunny
Connoisseur

I went on Amazon and set up all my Kindle stuff so I am all ready to go! Thanks for your help.

I have MobiReader on my laptop so I think I may be able to convert some things with that too. Cheers!