Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Kindle Fire, sideloaded books and synching

I could have sworn that during the early discussions about sideloading books from Calibre to the Fire (pdoc/ebok/blank issues) that someone posted that they were able to get the books to synch with their KK. After spending several hours, I'm beginning to think that they were talking about a K3 ... does anyone know if it is possible to sideload (usb) DRM free non-Amazon ebooks to the Fire and get them to synch with a K2i? Thanks to anyone who can tell me to stop trying... Karma for life to anyone that can tell me how to do it!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Convert your non-amazon books, using calibre, mobi-to-mobi. This will insert the required info, and then syncing should work on any device. However, if you DON'T do this, not all books have the information needed.

By the way, the KK IS the K3.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Convert your non-amazon books, using calibre, mobi-to-mobi. This will insert the required info, and then syncing should work on any device. However, if you DON'T do this, not all books have the information needed.

By the way, the KK IS the K3.
Thanks for your response...however I should have been more specific. I have removed my books from both devices and done the calibre mobi-to-mobi conversion (with the pdoc removed) to my entire library (twice!), but still no joy. Any other ideas? .... Thanks!
(I think I'm going to work with only one book until I get this figured out, reconverting my entire library is a pain! I must have had turkey toxicity... sorry poohbear )
Old 11-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm not sure if the pdoc trick with calibre works on the Fire. I never use this method.

However, the Personal Documents cloud syncing method by emailing a mobi to your Kindle so that it can be placed in your Archive and thus treated like a book purchased via Amazon is not yet supported on the Fire. The Fire cannot access archived Personal Documents nor can it sync archived Personal Documents. At present only Kindle E Ink readers can do this. We are still waiting for this feature to be extended to the Fire and the Kindle for Android/iOS apps.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Thanks for your response...however I should have been more specific. I have removed my books from both devices and done the calibre mobi-to-mobi conversion (with the pdoc removed) to my entire library (twice!), but still no joy. Any other ideas? .... Thanks!
(I think I'm going to work with only one book until I get this figured out, reconverting my entire library is a pain! I must have had turkey toxicity... sorry poohbear )
I haven't personally tried this, but I think someone in the other thread mentioned when you take out [pdoc] to enter [ebok].

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Completely inadvertantly, I seem to have done this. I didn't think it was possible, but I downloaded a book and converted it using Calibre, then sideloaded it to my (wife's) K2. About a week later I sideloaded it to my Fire. When I started reading it a few days later I got the popup asking me if I wanted to sync to the furthest location (which is where my wife had read to).

I think that's bow it all worked, anyway. So it is possible.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Completely inadvertantly, I seem to have done this. I didn't think it was possible, but I downloaded a book and converted it using Calibre, then sideloaded it to my (wife's) K2. About a week later I sideloaded it to my Fire. When I started reading it a few days later I got the popup asking me if I wanted to sync to the furthest location (which is where my wife had read to).

I think that's bow it all worked, anyway. So it is possible.
Did you change the [pdoc] setting?

Carol
Old 11-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

GoSharks, note: Non-amazon books will ONLY sync to page read, NOT highlights and notes and other goodies that you can sync with amazon content. I personally never use such things, so the page read is fine with me. Try manually initiating a sync.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
GoSharks, note: Non-amazon books will ONLY sync to page read, NOT highlights and notes and other goodies that you can sync with amazon content. I personally never use such things, so the page read is fine with me. Try manually initiating a sync.
Do you change the [pdoc] setting at all or just leave it.

Carol
Old 11-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Do you change the [pdoc] setting at all or just leave it.

Carol
The [pdoc] setting has no bearing on syncing. Only on where it shows up on your Fire -- Docs tab or Books tab.

So, to answer you, I DO change it, but only to ensure it goes onto my bookshelf.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #11
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Did you change the [pdoc] setting?
I didn't do a thing with the pdoc setting - I only recently learned what that was. So whatever the default is in Calibre is what I used.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I didn't do a thing with the pdoc setting - I only recently learned what that was. So whatever the default is in Calibre is what I used.
Months ago I set up calibre to automagically convert mobis to where they would sync furthest page read. I vaguely remember some talk about pdoc, but frankly don't remember exactly how I set it up other than I used "the tools" to make it work.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #13
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Thanks for all the help.... after trying all of the different mobi-to-mobi conversion options ([PDOC], [EBOK], blank), and several hours of frustration , I've come to the conclusion that just remembering my location when I close one reader and go to another is the simplest way...at least until someone with more patience than I have comes up with an answer. I don't care / need synching notes or highlights or bookmarks - but 'last' or 'furthest' page read would be huge.
Again, thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
For it to work, In Calibre you need to remove the PDOC tag. The book must been seen as a Amazon book. You must have in Metadata a AISN in the ISBN field filled in on Calibre and the PDOC tag either removed or replaced with EBOK for the synch to work.

It also has to be the exact file on both Kindles.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
For it to work, In Calibre you need to remove the PDOC tag. The book must been seen as a Amazon book. You must have in Metadata a AISN in the ISBN field filled in on Calibre and the PDOC tag either removed or replaced with EBOK for the synch to work.

It also has to be the exact file on both Kindles.
Is there a way to automatically pull in the ASIN or do you simply have to manually key it in for each book?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote