Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
glen
Edge User

Ermine experiences

I figured with the beta, it might be nice to have a dedicated thread just for what people think of Ermine.

Even though I've had it for a couple minutes this is what I've noticed. I'm using the EE:

1) Update went smoothly-like seriously smooth. I was VERY worried I'd end up bricking the device that's been soooooooo useful for me since Feb.

2) Some of my icons (such as AmazonAppStore and Music) disappeared off my desktop. They were still there, I just had to move the icon off the menu and back onto the desktop.

3) The screen seems more responsive, and it does appear to be faster.

4) I noticed there's this little thing called "Dev Tools". It even has a terminal emulator. Dunno know if that's of use to anyone, but there it is

5) New unlocking mechanism where you slid your finger. And it is quicker to unlock.

6) There is a new tab key on the keyboard for some things. It appears right where half of your spacebar used to be.

7) The fryoyo email app is much better than the old app so far.

8) Had some problems getting Winamp from the Amazon App Store, but don't know if this is a probllem with Amazon or Ermine.

Will post anything else I noticed.

Last edited by glen; 04-01-2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: added info

Old 03-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Adiposius Maximus
Edge User

Several apps force closed. Amazon App Store works, SlideMe works, and some silly world flags game works. Angry Birds and several others force close immediately and/or lock up the device.

The landscape mode on the reader is just that, a reader, you can't annotate.

Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
gecko
Edge User

Dev tools has some stuff that looks like you can mess up your machine. I will be playing with it shortly. I already had a terminal emulator (can't live without one) that's Better ("Better Terminal Emulator"). There's also a new "Spare Parts" with ALL kinds of fun stuff in it., including a switch for "hapic feedback," whatever that implies with the current hardware. Also in there: better battery stats, animation controls, font-size control.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Adiposius Maximus
Edge User

I have to go get burrito supplies, but I will kiss and tell when I'm done with that.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
Dev tools... including a switch for "hapic feedback," whatever that implies with the current hardware.
Haptic technology
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Haptic technology, or haptics, is a tactile feedback technology that takes advantage of a user's sense of touch by applying forces, vibrations, and/or motions to the user.[1]

Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
gecko
Edge User

Right, I know what "haptic" means. I know because I looked it up; at first, I thought it was something to do with liver. But I don't know what that has to do with the current hardware. Can it function as a vibrator, for example?

I hope that the Great Adiposer will "kiss and tell" about the burritos; they might be more interesting than the Edge.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
....at first, I thought it was something to do with liver. ......
Just as an FYI....That's "hepatic"

Old 03-31-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
Careermama
Edge User

My browser keeps crashing when I try to log into sites...Gmail and kirkwood community college eaglenet. Gmail worked the second time. Kirkwood didn't
. Will keep trying stuff....the speed upgrade is awesome so trying stuff isn't such a long process

Old 03-31-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
gecko
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
Just as an FYI....That's "hepatic"
I trust you're explaining my joke to everyone. You mustn't patronize them so; they might get cranky. Heh.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
... Can it function as a vibrator, for example?.
Now that right there is funny.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #11
diogenes
Edge User

*Excuse my English, I should have gone to bed 4 hours ago :/ *

So far I'm liking this beta. The speed improvement is a nice surprise.

Pros: -Smoothness
-Ink screen landscape (it may lack of annotation mode, but underlying and everything else goes fine)
-Apps to SD card thing
-Flash lite (it does work better than I spected, though I did expect very 'lite' )
-Improved apps compatibility

Cons: -Droid comic viewer crashed every 2 pages. I installed a newer version and now it goes better than ever.
-Sometimes the browser closes (I suspect that pop-up windows are involved)
-Angry birds didn't install
-Randomly, the return and the search keys on the keyboard stop working and pressing them will input 'l'

All in all, I'm more happy with the buggy Ermine than with old Dingo. I think people are a little cranky due to the absurd way in which Entourage has managed the whole situation, but the effort of the developers seem to have been worth.

Now let's simply hope that the rumors about the death of Entourage have been greatly exaggerated.

Pues eso, buenas noches.

Last edited by diogenes; 03-31-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
glen
Edge User

Is there an option for "apps to SD" or is it default now? I only downloaded 1 app since getting the beta, but didn't pay attention where it downloaded too.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:43 PM   #13
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Is there an option for "apps to SD" or is it default now? I only downloaded 1 app since getting the beta, but didn't pay attention where it downloaded too.
Android apps install to the main memory by default. If apps to SD is working on the edge do this - go to settings, applications, manage apps and tap on an app listing. When it opens you should see several options clear cache, clear data uninstall and most importantly move to SD.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #14
Careermama
Edge User

Farmfrenzy lite freezes the machine

Old 03-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #15
glen
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
Android apps install to the main memory by default. If apps to SD is working on the edge do this - go to settings, applications, manage apps and tap on an app listing. When it opens you should see several options clear cache, clear data uninstall and most importantly move to SD.
Good to know-I haven't loaded my main memory to need an SD, but something to keep in mind in for the future.