Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #13966
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
5. How much wood could a wood-chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?
Six? .....
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #13967
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
5. How much wood could a wood-chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?
None on Groundhog Day (groundhog is another name for a woodchuck), as he would be stuck in that box while everyone waited for his weather prediction...
Advert
Old 05-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #13968
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
1. Getting a bit obtuse here...but if the "man" and the subject of "his" were two different people, then indeed any man could marry "his" widow, other than the deceased.
A stretch too far, I think. 'his' clearly refers to 'a man'.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #13969
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
4. No, not if I was standing on its head.
1 point. It doesn't make sense but it made me laugh.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #13970
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Six? .....
6 tonnes? 6 grams? a nice try, but not good enough.

Quote:
None on Groundhog Day (groundhog is another name for a woodchuck), as he would be stuck in that box while everyone waited for his weather prediction...
One point. Nice one.
Advert
Old 05-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #13971
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Shayne Parkinson: 2.5 points
orlok: 2 points
Bookpossum: 1 point
Bilbo1967: 1 point
Glorfindel: 0.5 points

I'll leave the quiz for the rest of today, in case anyone wants to try for another point or two to overtake Shayne.

You won't score points without posting!

And finally - a quiz where even late-comers have a chance to win!
Old 05-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #13972
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
1. Can a man marry his widow's sister? Answer and explanation.
A stretch, but...if a man was lost at sea, say, and after a number of years declared legally dead (after something like 7 years?), then when he miraculously returned alive, he could divorce his "widow" and marry her sister.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #13973
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Oh, I do like that one, Orlok! Very clever.

This is a real stretch, but "widow" can also mean a woman abandoned by or separated from her husband. The older meaning of "grass widow" was a discarded mistress. A man could certainly marry the sister of such an unfortunate woman.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #13974
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Aw gee, don't I have two points? (Not that it matters as Shayne is still ahead!)
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:22 AM   #13975
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
A stretch, but...if a man was lost at sea, say, and after a number of years declared legally dead (after something like 7 years?), then when he miraculously returned alive, he could divorce his "widow" and marry her sister.
Very nice. A very solid point to orlok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
This is a real stretch, but "widow" can also mean a woman abandoned by or separated from her husband. The older meaning of "grass widow" was a discarded mistress. A man could certainly marry the sister of such an unfortunate woman.
Yes, I'll give a point for this one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Aw gee, don't I have two points? (Not that it matters as Shayne is still ahead!)
Quite right, my mistake!

Shayne Parkinson: 3.5 points
orlok: 3 points
Bookpossum: 2 points
Bilbo1967: 1 point
Glorfindel: 0.5 points

I declare Shayne Parkinson the winner.

For 1. I was thinking of the case where a man marries a widow, who could then be described as being his widow, rather than just any widow. After she dies, he could marry her sister.

For 4 I was hoping for "If I did that my mum would send me straight upstairs to bed", the last half of a poem from Spike Milligan's "A Children's Treasury of Milligan", although I see I did get one word wrong in my quotation (his head, not its head).

For 5 I didn't have anything in mind in particular, so I was pleased to get some suggestions!

Over to Shayne for the next quiz!
Old 05-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #13976
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Paul! A nice range of questions.

I may not be around much this week, so could one of the other medalists take this up, please?
Old 05-29-2014, 02:49 AM   #13977
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Well, I'm back - from a successful research trip rather than from Mordor. So I'll pose a question after all.

What do these bands have in common?
- The Bangles
- The Kinks
- Lynyrd Skynyrd
- Kings of Leon
Old 05-29-2014, 03:33 AM   #13978
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
The same thing as the original Dire Straits, I'd say.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:09 AM   #13979
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
The same thing as the original Dire Straits, I'd say.
They all have siblings in their line-up?
Old 05-29-2014, 05:15 AM   #13980
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Let's see if it's also what Shayne Parkinson had in mind...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote