Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 01:27 AM   #1
domromer
Enthusiast
domromer began at the beginning.

Device: Something that works well with libraries.
How to I get Sony to show up in adobe digital editions?

I just bough t a sony 350 and no matter how much I try I can't get it to show up in the adobe digital editions software so I can authorize the device. I've tried everything I can and it won't show up on the side bar of digital editions. A little help would be greatly appreciated!
domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:03 AM   #2
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Things to check.
Does it appear as a number of drives in Windows Explorer when you plug it in ?
If not Windows is not recognizing it.
Did you create your Adobe account to authorise your computer when you installed Adobe DE ?
If so unplug your reader from the computer.
Close and reopen Adobe DE and then plug in the reader. It should pop up a dialog saying "This device needs to be authorised" etc. Click on Authorise button and its done.
I think some people have said that they needed to install the Sony Library software even if they aren't going to use it. If you are not going to use Sony Library to download purchased ebooks make sure to untick the associate 'Acsm' files option during install(I think it called that) otherwise Sony Library will download ebooks instead of Adobe DE.
Try those things out.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #3
domromer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
Things to check.
Does it appear as a number of drives in Windows Explorer when you plug it in ?
If not Windows is not recognizing it.
Did you create your Adobe account to authorise your computer when you installed Adobe DE ?
If so unplug your reader from the computer.
Close and reopen Adobe DE and then plug in the reader. It should pop up a dialog saying "This device needs to be authorised" etc. Click on Authorise button and its done.
I think some people have said that they needed to install the Sony Library software even if they aren't going to use it. If you are not going to use Sony Library to download purchased ebooks make sure to untick the associate 'Acsm' files option during install(I think it called that) otherwise Sony Library will download ebooks instead of Adobe DE.
Try those things out.
Thanks for the help. I tried uninstalling and re installing, unpluging and everything else. No matter what I do it won't show up to be authorized.
Although I did find out I can download library books directly to the sony reader software. Which isn't so bad I can just use that to manage library books and use calibre to manage all my old purchased epubs. It's ashame I can't use calibre to hand the libraries .acsm files.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:06 AM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Oh, if you see a .ascm file from the library, the problem is that you're clicking Save instead of Open in the dialog box when you download the file. Always click Open.

I hope that helps.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:23 AM   #5
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
If you're using a Mac, ADE will never see your Sony Reader. Use the Sony Library software instead.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
On Windows, you have to install Sony Reader Library for ADE to see the Reader.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
.acsm files aren't eBook files... just pointers to download them... if you want calibre to handle them then get the book first from the .acsm file (double-click it or use library software) then calibre can probably move it around.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
domromer
Enthusiast

I'm using a mac so I guess that soves that.

When I o to move an open book from ADE calibre can't see it. It's greyed out.