Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Help -Sync Kindle back to beginning of book?

I tried looking for this answer and couldn't find anything.

My mother and I share Kindles under one account. I recently finished a book and she wants to begin reading it.

I went all the way to the end of the book and did a "go to" to the beginning of the book. My question is, how do I reset the sync? When my mom goes to the book, it always tried to sync to the very last page, which is technically the "furthest page read across all devices".

As an interim solution she can turn off her wireless to prevent the sync but then she has to read the whole book on the kindle...no pc or smartphone reading...
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
To my knowledge, there is no resetting of "furthest page read." It's an oversight that needs addressed.

New menu item: "Mark Book as Brand Spanking New"

I kid, but I'm completely serious (maybe not about the name of the feature).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had thought about that too. THere should be a menu selection that says "mark this page as the furthest read".
Old 02-16-2011, 03:24 AM   #4
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
Are you wanting it to sync? You can turn Whispersync off and it will stop automatically syncing and will only do so when you manually tell it to.

To switch off the automatic sync between devices:

1. go to Amazon.com and visit the Manage Your Kindle page in your account settings.
2. Scroll down to and select "Manage synchronization between devices."
3. Select "Turn Synchronization off."

Once you turn synchronization off, your books will still open to the last page read on that device, but Whispersync will no longer automatically sync bookmarks or the furthest page read with other devices, unless you wish to sync the book manually, by which you can press the Menu button and select "Sync to Furthest Page Read."

...also, if you turn WiFi/3G off on a device, it won't be able to sync until you turn it back on again.

Last edited by chyron8472; 02-16-2011 at 03:29 AM.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:03 AM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Furthest page read refers to the highest page location across ALL of your registered Kindle devices and Kindle apps on an account.

So you need to make sure that in every single registered Kindle device (kindle for pc, kindles, kindle for iphone etc) that you open up the book, go right back to the Cover, Beginning or TOC etc (Menu / Go To in a Kindle device) then come out of the book and back to the Home screen and do a Sync.

You need to repeat this process for every single device.

And then you should be able to re-read again from the start with no problems.

You can also call Kindle Customer Service and get them to reset the book for you back to the start.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Use bookmarks. When my wife and I read the same book with the same device there are always TWO bookmarks planted: one for her and one for me.

By moving the cursor to the top line when viewing Notes and Marks, one can arrange to only display bookmarks.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
mewmartigan
Guru

@chyron - yeah, we could turn off the sync but then she can only read the book on one device

@kindleworm - thanks, sounds like a bit of work but i will give it a try

@sirmaru - would you have to bookmark each time you stop reading so you can go to that bookmark after it syncs to the end again?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
Daermond
Daermond has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Daermond has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Daermond has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Daermond has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
@chyron - yeah, we could turn off the sync but then she can only read the book on one device
When you turn off the Syncronization on the Amazon site it will erase all the syncronization data. when you turn it on again, the syncronization data will be empty. So you will reset all the syncronization data.
Daermond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
mewmartigan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daermond View Post
When you turn off the Syncronization on the Amazon site it will erase all the syncronization data. when you turn it on again, the syncronization data will be empty. So you will reset all the syncronization data.
Ooooh, that I didn't know. Thank you!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Bookmarks.

Quote:
@sirmaru - would you have to bookmark each time you stop reading so you can go to that bookmark after it syncs to the end again?
Yes, I always bookmark after reading on the Kindle. I never remove the prior bookmark until the new one is set.

In addition, I sync before and after reading to transfer that bookmark to my Kindle 4 PC.

If one does that, the sync to furthest read location feature becomes irrelevant.

Don't forget to move the cursor up to the top line when in Notes and Marks and set it so only bookmarks appear.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
Quote:
If you turn off Synchronization, it stops asking you if you want to sync to the last page read. In order for it to do so, you have to manually tell it to.

That has no effect at all on being able to read the same book on separate devices at the same time. It only affects whether the devices automatically try to stay on the same page as each other, and whether adding a bookmark/note to one device automatically adds it to the other or not.

Though to be honest, I never notice really because I almost always have my wireless turned off unless I'm using the net.

Last edited by chyron8472; 02-16-2011 at 11:12 PM.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:10 AM   #12
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Just a thought...

Long ago I discovered that deleting the .mbp (data) file associated with the ebook file (Kindle\documents) resulted in the book opening to the beginning, as it would behave the first time the book is opened to read. However, if one has saved and synchronized notes and/or bookmarks, I am not certain what the outcome would be once a new synchronization occurred with a different Kindle.

I have not yet experimented with the additional removal of the .phl files (associated with collections) to determine if they too must be deleted to "reset" the book but I suspect not.

It would make sense that the deletion of at least the .mbp file (and perhaps the .phl file) would leave a "clean" file to share/sync with someone else on the account. My account is solo otherwise I would test my theory.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
jhanel
Death Has a Name
jhanel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Just a thought...

Long ago I discovered that deleting the .mbp (data) file associated with the ebook file (Kindle\documents) resulted in the book opening to the beginning, as it would behave the first time the book is opened to read. However, if one has saved and synchronized notes and/or bookmarks, I am not certain what the outcome would be once a new synchronization occurred with a different Kindle.

I have not yet experimented with the additional removal of the .phl files (associated with collections) to determine if they too must be deleted to "reset" the book but I suspect not.

It would make sense that the deletion of at least the .mbp file (and perhaps the .phl file) would leave a "clean" file to share/sync with someone else on the account. My account is solo otherwise I would test my theory.
Yep... it will be very clean FOR THAT ONE DEVICE. All of the bookmarks, notes, etc will be gone for both accounts from that kindle. It won't, however, remove the settings at the server when some other device asks to "sync".
jhanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #14
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanel View Post
Yep... it will be very clean FOR THAT ONE DEVICE. All of the bookmarks, notes, etc will be gone for both accounts from that kindle. It won't, however, remove the settings at the server when some other device asks to "sync".
Well, that is indeed a bummer.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #15
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
You don't need two people to get this problem:

I'm currently reading a book with footnotes. The footnotes are (not surprisingly) collected at the end of the book. If you follow a footnote link, boom, you've set your "furthest point read" right to the very end! Not good when syncing between Kindle and PDA.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote