Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #31
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

I'll stick to dogs!
Taking the easy way out, I see. Of course, dogs can't sing and answer the phone. Or say "see you tomorrow" at bed time.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:53 PM   #32
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
It's not, really. It looks nothing like a library, just some guy distributing copies of copyrighted material that he says come from his "personal" library. Looks like he only allows you 5 downloads because he's trying to get "donations".
Know the site. The 5 download limit is determined on IP address and easily bypassed. Yes it's a pirate site.
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #33
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Ah yes. Dogs don't have a change against parrots.
They also don't have a chance against robins, chickadees, or steller's jays. My dachshund has made that quite clear from his efforts to clear them out of 'his' back yard.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:36 AM   #34
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
What about the Norwegian Blue, Pining for the fijords. Beautiful plumage the Norwegian Blue... No This parrot is dead... He's not dead he's just restin'. It's not resting, it's passed on. This parrot is no more. It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet its maker. This is a late parrot. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. If you hadn't nailed it to the perch, it would be pushing up the daisies. It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-parrot.

Last edited by Billjr13; 03-06-2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:42 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Makes me wonder what country this site is based out of. This isn't even the grey area of hosting user content, this person is doing direct distribution and taking money for it. I'm shocked he hasn't gotten nailed by the copyright police yet.
The site is in Hong Kong; a place not noted for its rigid enforcement of copyright laws.
Advert
Old 03-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #36
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
It's strange then that he asks for Euro's and not USDollars
Old 03-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #37
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Take a look at his disclaimer (add disclaimer.php to the base url)
Old 03-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #38
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Makes me wonder what country this site is based out of. This isn't even the grey area of hosting user content, this person is doing direct distribution and taking money for it. I'm shocked he hasn't gotten nailed by the copyright police yet.
Eastern Europe (fmr USSR countries), Pacific Islands, Middle East, you name it!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #39
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The site is in Hong Kong; a place not noted for its rigid enforcement of copyright laws.
Ah, there you go. I hadn't read your post before commenting.
It's probably harder finding countries that do implement effective restrictions on these sort of web sites rather than vice versa.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #40
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Taking the easy way out, I see. Of course, dogs can't sing and answer the phone. Or say "see you tomorrow" at bed time.
Sue went into the pet shop and immediately spotted a large, beautiful parrot. The sign on the cage said $50.

"Why so little?" Sue asked.

The owner looked at her and said, "Look, I should tell you that this bird used to live in a bawdy house and sometimes it says some pretty vulgar things."

Sue considered and decided to purchase the bird anyway because it was so beautiful. She took it home, hung the cage up, and waited for it to say something. The bird looked around the room, then at her, and said, "New house, new madam."

Sue was a little shocked at the implication but then thought, "That's really not so bad."

When her two teen-age daughters came home from school, the parrot saw them and said, "New house, new madam, new girls."

Sue and her daughters were a bit offended at first but began to laugh, considering how and where the parrot had been raised.

Moments later Sue's husband, Doug, came home from work.

The parrot looked at him and said, "Hi Doug."

Don't trust parrots.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #41
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

It seems to me no discussion of parrots on a ebook site would be complete without mention of the role the wonderful trained parrot plays in Confederacy of Dunces.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #42
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
It's strange then that he asks for Euro's and not USDollars
Not really when you consider that one euro is worth 1.37 dollars right now. Why not ask for the stronger currency?
Old 03-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #43
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
They also don't have a chance against robins, chickadees, or steller's jays.
Or domestic rabbits. I find little yappy dogs treed by a Rabbit bigger than them amusing, I admit.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #44
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
Sue went into the pet shop and immediately spotted a large, beautiful parrot. The sign on the cage said $50.

"Why so little?" Sue asked.

The owner looked at her and said, "Look, I should tell you that this bird used to live in a bawdy house and sometimes it says some pretty vulgar things."

Sue considered and decided to purchase the bird anyway because it was so beautiful. She took it home, hung the cage up, and waited for it to say something. The bird looked around the room, then at her, and said, "New house, new madam."

Sue was a little shocked at the implication but then thought, "That's really not so bad."

When her two teen-age daughters came home from school, the parrot saw them and said, "New house, new madam, new girls."

Sue and her daughters were a bit offended at first but began to laugh, considering how and where the parrot had been raised.

Moments later Sue's husband, Doug, came home from work.

The parrot looked at him and said, "Hi Doug."

Don't trust parrots.
Good one! I have another one.

A man goes to a pet shop and sees 3 cages with 3 parrots. He asked the owner how much the first one is. "500", says the owner. "Why so expensive", asks the man. "He can talk", is the reply.

"And the second one?"

"It costs 1000, because it can speak two languages".

The third bird looks very old, with faded plumage. So the customer remarks "this one must be cheaper".

"Oh no, he costs 2000", the owner answers.

"Can he speak three languages?"

"I have no idea what he can do, but the other two call him boss!".

We actually have a lot of fun with ours when he makes the right remark at the right time. Once my wife was sitting in a chair and working. Our parrot was slowly climbing up the side of her chair to get up to her shoulder. My wife looked down at him and he said "what are you looking at?" Even the tone of his voice was perfectly appropriate.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-07-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #45
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I will admit to having used this site, for books I wanted. These are books I *wanted* to give money to someone for and was unable to, because they are not available as ebooks. And they are all books I have bought pbook copies of.

The books I downloaded are the Jean Auel books and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, one of my favorite books of all time. In fact I found the site while searching for a copy, any copy, of TMIAHM. I was practically salivating over the thought of giving someone money to have this book on my reader and the only copy available is a pirate version.

Now comes the "pirate's dilemma." These books are plain text, with OCR errors and no significant formatting. I've taken them and gone through them alongside my pbooks page by page and fixed the OCR errors, added back all the italics and bolding, fixed the formatting including the large caps to start each chapter and given each a table of contents. So, what do I do if the publisher actually finally releases them as ebooks? I would have happily paid for them previously, but now I have several hours invested in each book, such that I would probably balk at paying more than $5 each for an 'official' copy.

I think it goes to show how not releasing things legitimately just creates a black market. But perhaps I'm misguided.

-Marcy
Closed Thread