Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Firmware update released for the Onyx Boox 60

Last week Onyx released a new firmware for the Boox 60. The improvements include:
  • Migrate to ADOBE RM 9.1
  • Add password support PDF
  • OTA support to enable user to purchase books from online shop
  • Notes support
  • Shortcut support
  • More text encoding support to reflowable content like plain text, mobi
  • More text size support
  • Clock support
  • Bookmark support to web browser
  • Wi-Fi deadlock issue during standby
  • https support
  • Add GPL declaration to about information
  • Fix reboot issue
  • Some small GUI bugs fixed

The second one is a biggie. So far as I know, no other device developer has implemented that part of Adobe RM. You can download the update from here:
http://www.onyx-international.com/node/69

Last edited by Nate the great; 12-30-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Nate I believe the Brother reader does password protected PDFs. But thats a bit more dollars. As far as I know this is the only one under $400.

Fixing that wifi bug and web bookmarks is nice too.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Nate I believe the Brother reader does password protected PDFs. But thats a bit more dollars. As far as I know this is the only one under $400.

Fixing that wifi bug and web bookmarks is nice too.
It does passwords, yes. But password protected PDFs? I don't think it does.

But you raised a good point. I was referring to Adobe RM, not all devices.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I thought the iLiad could do password protected PDFs too, but I'm not positive.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I thought the iLiad could do password protected PDFs too, but I'm not positive.
I updated my post so it says Adobe RM. The statement doesn't apply to the Iliad.
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Hanlins can do password protected PDFs. However, this might only work with XPDF (i.e. not Adobe Digital Editions).

It would be bigger news if Onyx added passworded ePub, i.e. B&N ePubs, which is part of RMSDK 9.1. It is impressive to get any kind of 9.1 port out the door this soon after its formal release though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Reader Mobile 9.1 SDK released
(December 15, 2009)
Adobe has released an update to the Reader Mobile SDK, the software development kit that enables third-party developers to support PDF, EPUB and Adobe Content Server 4 protected documents on reading devices and in smartphone applications. Version 9.1 delivers improvements in performance and rendering, in addition to supporting password-protected PDF files. It simplifies the workflow for authenticating devices with Adobe Digital Editions. The Enhanced Reader Mobile SDK also supports password-protected EPUB files, including EPUB content sold by the Barnes & Noble eBookstore. For more information, please visit the Reader Mobile Developer Center.

Last edited by keng2000; 12-30-2009 at 12:09 PM.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
If you don't already know. Onyx Boox is one of the first if not the first to use Adobe 9.1 with OTA.

Also due to some ebooks not being able to be opened and some other smaller issues after updating to 1.2, Onyx has released 1.2.1.

http://www.onyx-international.com/support

--
Mike Hu
US Sales Manager
mikehu@onyx-international.com
CES Expo booth No: 12042
Twitter: OnyxBooxUSA

Last edited by MikeOnyx; 12-30-2009 at 10:44 PM.
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
diezmikel
diezmikel began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox
onyx boox and pdb with drm

it is possible to read pdb books wiht drm protection? Im trying to read a book sample downloaded from Barns & noble and the reader don't open the file. It recognizes the format but cant open it. Im interested in Barns $ noble bookstore but don't want to buy something that the boox cant open
diezmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by diezmikel View Post
it is possible to read pdb books wiht drm protection?
I don't think so. ADOBE RM 9.1 includes support for ePubs from B&N, but not eReader ebooks (which is what you get in a B&N .pdb). It isn't clear if Oynx actually added B&N ePub support, but it is available in ADOBE RM 9.1.

At present, the only way to get B&N ePubs appears to be to download them within the Windows B&N Reader, see Nook, B&N, ePub and PDB formats.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:28 AM   #11
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I don't think so. ADOBE RM 9.1 includes support for ePubs from B&N, but not eReader ebooks (which is what you get in a B&N .pdb). It isn't clear if Oynx actually added B&N ePub support, but it is available in ADOBE RM 9.1.

At present, the only way to get B&N ePubs appears to be to download them within the Windows B&N Reader, see Nook, B&N, ePub and PDB formats.
Sorry, should have clarified that Onyx Boox has been out before B&N Nook with Adobe 9.1 with OTA. Sometimes I forget that many people in the US has not heard of Onyx.
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:07 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOnyx View Post
Sorry, should have clarified that Onyx Boox has been out before B&N Nook with Adobe 9.1 with OTA. Sometimes I forget that many people in the US has not heard of Onyx.
You should also mention that unlike the Nook, the Boox has a stable and relatively bug free implementation of Adobe 9.1.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #13
diezmikel
diezmikel began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox
But the last release of the onyx includes the Adobe 9.1 with OTA. So the problem is with the format or with the drm?.

Apart from that, does anyone know any good online library to purchase books?. I'm interested in english and spanish books.
diezmikel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, onyx