Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Just broke my 500. Should I buy another or get a 505?

Well, my 500 died a violent death. Lets just say that when they hit a concrete wall, bad things happen. Anyway, I can't live without it now so I am shopping.

My options are to get another 500 from eBay or a 505, which will be available in Canada and I can get it sent over here.

500 - Pro: I have a cradle for the 500. Cheaper. I like the joystick to change pages. The buttons on the bottom seem to be in a good place.
Con: Older technology.

505 - Pro: Better screen, newer model.
Con: Not familiar with it. Don't know about no joystick, buttons in side seem to get in the way. More expensive.

I am leaning towards another 500. My question is, should I get a 505? I use my joystick to change pages (I have the hack) and I wonder if the lack of a joystick and the buttons on the side will irritate me. Also, it is about twice as much money.

So, experienced members, any suggestions?
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "VizPlex" screen on the 505 really is dramatically better than the 500's screen. Much better contrast and hence better readability in poor light conditions, and doesn't suffer from the "ghosting" than the 500 does. I'd go for the 505.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What about ergonomics? Is it as easy to use as the 500?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I have both. I like the 505 much better. I at first missed the joystick hack but with the page turn buttons on the right side of the 505 I found that I really do not need the Joystick to turn the pages. I have not found the buttons on the side to get in the way at all.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Tom Swift
Addict

What about the colour? It looks like the 505 is only available in silver. I would think that a darker reader would provide a better contrast. Or am I just being picky?
Advert
Old 04-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's available in silver and blue. The colour seems entirely irrelevent to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post
What about the colour? It looks like the 505 is only available in silver. I would think that a darker reader would provide a better contrast. Or am I just being picky?
Also available in dark blue, e.g. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1204127137 or http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ital_Book.html (Ooh - they've got the Premium cover in stock... Hmmm... :-))
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have the blue and I have seen the silver. Either would do fine. You won't get any better contrast from the blue then the silver. The ergonomics of the 505 is better then the 500. The page turns are faster, the screen has more contrast, no ghosting, and you won't need the joystick hack. I find the 505 is easier to hold in my right hand and use the right side page tun buttons to turn the page. Plus, Sony is coming out eventually with a new 505 firmware that may very well make PDF viewing on the 505 better. And finally, the 505 has 8 shades vs. the 500's 4 shades and because of the better contrast, the 505 is nicer for viewing graphics. And you already have the AC adaptor from the 500 so you won't need to get another.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
Tom Swift
Addict

Actually, in Canada it seems to be only available in silver.

Yeah, i know it is picky.

So the 505 is a better deal, huh? From the comments so far, it seems to be the better product.

Oh, can I use my cradle with the 505?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Plus there is also an unsupported hack on the 505 to use the joystick for page navigation. I use it all the time.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #11
Tom Swift
Addict

I thought there was no joystick on the 505?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually, in Canada it seems to be only available in silver.

Yeah, i know it is picky.

So the 505 is a better deal, huh? From the comments so far, it seems to be the better product.

Oh, can I use my cradle with the 505?
The cradle is only for use with the 500. The 505 will not fit in. I just compared my wife's 500 with my 505 and the plug placement at the bottom is different. Plus, the 505 is a tad wider too. No need for the cradle really. I just lay my 505 on it's back and plug in the AC adapter and let it charge.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I thought there was no joystick on the 505?
There is no joystick. It's been replaces with a flat round four-way button with enter in the middle.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #14
Tom Swift
Addict

And is it easy to use to move the pages forward? Usually, when I read, I just flick the joystick with my right thumb while holding the book in my right hand. Will I have to find a different method of holding it?

Man, I wish I could try one before I get a 505, if I do.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
And is it easy to use to move the pages forward? Usually, when I read, I just flick the joystick with my right thumb while holding the book in my right hand. Will I have to find a different method of holding it?
When I read using my 505, I hold it in my right hand and my right thumb pushes the right side page turn buttons. It's very easy. In fact, it's nicer to hold in one hand then the 500 was. The fact that the cover sticks out to the right when folded back is actually an advantage. I use the cover as a thumb rest. Works quite nicely.