Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
Saras
Saras began at the beginning.

Device: A kindle with a botched screen
Kindle3 broke, thinking of getting touch or something else.

So, my Kindle3 got butchered and I'm not getting a free replacement.

Now then, can't decide whether to pay to get it replaced with another Kindle3, get the Kindle4 touch or to just get something entirely different, as I've since gained a few requirements that the previous kindle didn't want to fulfil originally.

I liked that it fit into my breast pocket(just barelly, but that is very important), I also liked the screen, the optional audio and that it didn't look and feel cheap.

However, I didn't really like the absence of a touch screen, it just felt like there should be one. I also didn't like that it did a bodged job of displaying extended Latin alphabet characters, Lithuanian in particular. While it wasn't a requirement before, but the capability to display Cyrillic and Han scripts have become important and will increase to be more so in the future as I've been studying those languages.

So the question I have is basically this, how is the Kindle4 touch's build quality, are the dimensions equivalent or smaller and does it have an easier time dealing with foreign tongues?

If the answers are disappointing, could you point me towards something that I could get in Europe, has all of that and is say up to 200$ in price before taxes?
Saras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
First, a matter of naming. The "Kindle 4" around these parts refers to the non-Touch model (because it runs version 4 of the firmware). The Touch model is generally referred to as the "K5" (because it runs v5 of the firmware) or "Kindle Touch" (or "KT").

The KT is an excellent reader. Good build quality, significantly smaller than the K3, and it works very well indeed. The new "KF8" file format which it supports allows for embedded fonts, so if the fonts built into the device don't support Chinese (and I have no idea whether they do or not) you could convert your book to KF8 format and embed the required font in the book itself.

I've had a KT since November last year, and I think it's the best eInk reader (for my needs) currently on the market.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 04:00 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I have both a K3 and a K4. The K3 was my primary ereader for over a year. Then the new models came out and I thought about replacing it with one of them, because they were smaller and didn't have the keyboard (which I've always hated). Finally in April, I got the K4. I chose it over the K5 because Walmart had it on sale for $49. Now it's my primary ereader and the K3 is a backup that I sometimes loan to family. I'm sure I'd be just as happy with the K5; but at half the price, I couldn't pass up the K4.

The smaller size of the K4 is really the biggest plus and I'm glad I switched. The only feature I miss from my K3 that the K4 doesn't have, is the audio player; but it's not that big of a deal. I use the default font and text size; and I'm quite happy with those settings. As to features like bookmarks, underlining, highlighting, dictionaries, etc; I don't use them. I never did it with paper books and see no need to do it with ebooks. That said, I have no idea what features the K4 supports, nor do I care. It does what I need it to do - read.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Saras

I see. Thanks for the info, that about answers my question. I'd just like to also inquire about how would the Sony prs-t1 standup in comparison? My general google-fu basically made it clear that it's quite similar in it's spec and the price is essentially the same for me anyway.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The T1 is a good device. It basically comes down to where you prefer to get your books from. The T1 has support for library books; the Kindle doesn't (unless you live in the US). On the other hand, Amazon have the best bookstore around (for English-language books at least) and unparalleled customer service.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
No dictionary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
As to features like bookmarks, underlining, highlighting, dictionaries, etc; I don't use them. I never did it with paper books and see no need to do it with ebooks.
I'm sorry for asking, tubemonkey, it's your life, but my curiosity: how don't you use dictionaries? Do you know all the words? Read only "simple" books? Or don't bother losing some of the reading?

I can't take a book without having a dictionary (as I have it in my smartphone, no avaiability problem at all).
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
I'm sorry for asking, tubemonkey, it's your life, but my curiosity: how don't you use dictionaries? Do you know all the words? Read only "simple" books? Or don't bother losing some of the reading?

I can't take a book without having a dictionary (as I have it in my smartphone, no avaiability problem at all).
Simple books for monkey

Really, if there's a word I don't understand, I'll look it up later when I fire up my computer and hit the net. I'm in no hurry and don't like to interrupt the flow while reading. Most of the time I can determine the meaning from the context.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Simple books for monkey

Thanks.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Saras

Guess I'll go with the one I can find cheaper. Thanks for help.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Saras I have both the Kindle Touch & The Sony T1. I can't say one is better than the other. Both have things I like about them & both have things I don't like. Personal preferences make the difference.

BUT since you have a K3 I would go with the Kindle Touch. I think you will be happy with it. I like mine & just recently sold my K3 since I wasn't using it anymore.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
Saras I have both the Kindle Touch & The Sony T1. I can't say one is better than the other.
I agree with this. Both are great devices. Like someone else said, it would probably make sense to go for a Kindle Touch since you already have a Kindle.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote