Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Sandie C
Sandie C began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi! Totally New To E-Readers/Books

Hello everyone, I'm a novice when it comes to EBooks and Readers, I have not a clue what is the best one to purchase. I love to read when I have time,and like nothing better than to curl up with an actual book and read. However, I know it would be more convienent to use an E Reader at the pool or beach, we are at the beach for the summer.
Does anyone have any ideas on what to purchase, I was thinking Kindle, only because I have heard the most about them. All I want is something that I can read books on, it doesnt have to have any other added things, as I am into graphics, and graphic programs, so need an actual PC for that. Also where can I get a "for dummies" explanation on how to even start using one, as I said I'm totally clueless, and will be starting from square "zero" lol. Thanks for any input. Sandie
Sandie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome to the boards
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The cheapest Kindle, $79 with adverts in the US, may be all you need. The adverts are not there when you are reading, and if you don't like them you can upgrade to the advert free version by paying the difference.

The screen quality is the same as the more expensive Kindles, the differences in the more expensive models are ebook capacity (but the cheapest holds more than a 1,000 ebooks), a touch screen, 3G connectivity and text-to-speech, audiobooks and mp3 support. Battery life is also less, but should still be at least a month.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I agree with wallcraft. A minimal Kindle would be a great way to start. They have as good a display as you can get, the best customer service in the business, an extremely large online store, and are the most flexible in terms of how you can load books.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
BlueSky77
BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3g, iPad 3, Nook Color w/cm7sd
I'll chime in with both the other posters and agree that you should get a Kindle. My personal preference would be for the Kindle Touch with ads $99.00 from Amazon. You could also get the refurbished Kindle Touch for $79.00. If you are just going to be reading ebooks then you can't go wrong with a Kindle. I absolutely love mine! The text is crisp, clear and adjustable, also you can read outdoors in the sunlight without glare (unlike the Nook Color, Kindle Fire or an android tablet).

As for learning how to use a Kindle... just follow the link below, click on Kindle Help, Video Tutorials and Tools. There's a wealth of information there on using a Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html

Hope this helps!

Last edited by BlueSky77; 06-22-2012 at 10:02 PM.
BlueSky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Agreed - get the Kindle Touch. Excellent reader, and Amazon have the best bookstore and the best customer service in the business.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Or try to find a Kindle 3G (touch) from Walmart in the US for $110.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
One more vote for the Kindle Touch. It's a very nice device.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
If you want epub support (the industry standard), nook touch is the way to go. I love my nook but have nothing against kindle other than its lack of epub support. Nook Simple Touch is also $80.

Both are almost identical in terms of usability and readability.

Both come with firmware that tries to bind you into a specific ecosystem. Both are a bit obnoxous with their intrusion into your reading habits.

Amazon (Kindle) has better customer service if that is important to you.

Nook has physical presence (B&N bookstores) which I find attractive.

PCMag does a fair comparison of the two devices.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372819,00.asp

There are many other devices also, but I don't know much about them.

Last edited by Rob Lister; 06-24-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
If you want epub support, nook touch is the way to go. I love my nook but have nothing against kindle other than its lack of epub support.
That depends what country the OP is in - and she (?) doesn't say. 95% of people live outside the USA, the only place where the nook is sold.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #11
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That depends what country the OP is in - and she (?) doesn't say. 95% of people live outside the USA, the only place where the nook is sold.
So true. Her writing style had that 'merican feel, but she could be from Mars for all I know.

ETA: from a pedantic viewpoint, I doubt there is a 95% chance she is outside the USA if she is posting here. I'd guess something along the lines of 65%. Someone should do some demographics research to nail that down.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
So true. Her writing style had that 'merican feel, but she could be from Mars for all I know.
Very true. Lots of beaches on Mars (well, lots of sand, at least. Not so great when it comes to actual water...).
Old 06-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandie C View Post
Hello everyone, I'm a novice when it comes to EBooks and Readers, I have not a clue what is the best one to purchase. I love to read when I have time,and like nothing better than to curl up with an actual book and read. However, I know it would be more convienent to use an E Reader at the pool or beach, we are at the beach for the summer.
Does anyone have any ideas on what to purchase, I was thinking Kindle, only because I have heard the most about them. All I want is something that I can read books on, it doesnt have to have any other added things, as I am into graphics, and graphic programs, so need an actual PC for that. Also where can I get a "for dummies" explanation on how to even start using one, as I said I'm totally clueless, and will be starting from square "zero" lol. Thanks for any input. Sandie
Check your local library. I was browsing the new books at my library recently and I saw books on how to use the Nook and the Kindle. In fact, you might be able to look at your library's catalog online and see what books on e-readers they have in their collection.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
Check your local library. I was browsing the new books at my library recently and I saw books on how to use the Nook and the Kindle. In fact, you might be able to look at your library's catalog online and see what books on e-readers they have in their collection.
The Kindle User Guide is extremely well-written, and is an excellent introduction to its use. Personally, I really don't think that anything more is required.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #15
BlueSky77
BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlueSky77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3g, iPad 3, Nook Color w/cm7sd
Quote:
If you want epub support (the industry standard), nook touch is the way to go. I love my nook but have nothing against kindle other than its lack of epub support. Nook Simple Touch is also $80.
<snip>
Amazon (Kindle) has better customer service if that is important to you.

Nook has physical presence (B&N bookstores) which I find attractive.
As a former Nook Color user (I still own it but don't use the nook functionality), I agree with you 100% regarding Amazon having better customer service. Amazon has MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better customer service and tech support. I spent many long hours on the phone with Barnes & Noble attempting to straighten out issues but they went unresolved due to the incompotent customer service reps that handle Nook tech support.

The epub format may be more widely accepted but that doesn't mean the Kindle or Mobi formats are lacking. Having owned both a Nook and a Kindle device, I've found that both Amazon and Barnes & Noble are pretty much equal when it comes to ebook selection. Concerning public libraries; the library that I belong to offers all of their books in both epub and Kindle formats so there's no lacking in that area either.