Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
XML hack for clock, joystick page turns, history AND navigation!!!!!

There has been a lot of discussion about what to map the various joystick movements to. The main reason is that people want joystick page turns, but want to maintain the essential default functionality (including history navigation in case of accidental button pushes).

I've decided to take a slightly new approach...
* Use DiabloNLs remapping of joystick left/right to be page turn back/fwd.
* Use the volume - HOLD/+ HOLD to do history back/forward

The logic is simple... you get the nice joystick page turn, you have another way to do history navigation, link navigation is unchanged, and you don't even lose volume control - just mute. For me, and maybe many others based on the comments in the forum, the history navigation is mainly a last resort when losing your place in a book because of an accidental button push, so having to find and hold a volume control is no big deal. Of course, I left the really cool clock functionality in.

The XML file is attached, so you can see exactly what I did, but as you would expect, all it involved was Igorsk's clock plus DiabloNL's joystick changes plus the two volume hold changes in the volume control button portion...

Code:
			<boolean key="0x41" do="doQuiet"/>
			<boolean key="0x41-hold" do="doLeft"/>
			<boolean key="0x40" do="doLoud"/>
			<boolean key="0x40-hold" do="doRight"/>
It was only just now that I installed this and tried all the new buttons, but it seems to work for me so far. Still, I make no promises, other than to tell you that so far I haven't seen a problem on my Reader. As with all the hacks, use at your own risk!

If you don't know how to use this already, instructions can be found at here, but of course you use this XML file instead of DiabloNL's file when modifying Igorsk's original sample.

Let me know if anyone likes this and decides to use it. Personally, I'm happy as a lark to have the controls the way I like them. As always, many thanks to the guys who did all the "real work" for getting us to this point, where it's easy to play with the button controls!
Attached Files
File Type: xml applicationStart.xml (3.6 KB, 984 views)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
big_stan
big_stan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!
big_stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
phigdon
phigdon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
are there instructions for using the joystick for music control while reading?
phigdon is offline   Reply With Quote