Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
chicoelnino
chicoelnino began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650
sony 650 - please help

I just got my first ereader - Sony 650.

I've installed the ereader library.

I've alot of ebooks on my hard drive which are the file type: Adobe Acrobat Document (.pdf)

I've tried to transfer them via the ereader library but have had no joy as it keeps giving me the "error" msg after a while.

A friend then said that he just copies and pastes all his ebooks into the ereader/media/books folder.

I tried that and it did work. However, a 6MB book took 15 mins to transfer?????

Is this normal, as he said it only takes him 5-10 seconds to transfer a 20MB book across.

Its really annoying me to say the least that I cant figure out what to do.

I was recommended to join here as ye guys are the experts on this sort of problem.

thanks in advance for any help.
chicoelnino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Make sure that after installing the Sony Reader Library software that you authorize your 650. Without authorizing it, it won't be able to read protected (secured) PDFs or ePubs. Check the Help in the Sony Reader Library app for instructions. After installed, connect your 650 and start the Sony Reader Library app. Click on eBook Store and then sign in. You might need to register and open an account if you haven't done so already. After you sign is, click on My Account and authorize the 650. You should be good to go after that.

Optionally you can install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) and authorize your 650 with it for reading PDFs that are protected (secured). But if you already installed the Sony Reader Library app you don't need to install ADE.

As far transferring files, a 6mb file should transfer in less than a minute unless there is a problem. If you transfer using the Sony Reader Library app then it might be slow if the reader isn't authorized or it might be some other reason. But that is not typical. It should transfer fairly rapidly.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-27-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Or unless the USB port has dropped back to 1.1 operation or is 1.1 Not enough info in original post to help fully...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
chicoelnino

Ok, I've found out my problem.

Both the reader or my computer are not authorized!

However, I'm at a loss as to how to authorize them, as I cannot see the authorize button in the "my sony" section?

is register a product and Authorize the same thing?? I honestly don't know where/how to authorize my computer and reader

Last edited by chicoelnino; 11-27-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
chicoelnino

Ok, I've authorized both the reader and the computer and I downloaded and transferred a book from one of the online stores with no problem.

However, I still have the same problem with transferring files from the hard drive to the reader by copying and pasting into the reader/media/books folder. A 9MB book was taking ages to transfer at a 16KB per second rate.

Whats the cause of this? Im really getting annoyed with the product as I've literally hundreds of ebooks on my hard drive that I want to put on the reader.

Please help guys
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
Way I remember it you need to download Adobe Digital Editions and authorise your computer through that
your "About" section on your 650 will tell you whether the reader is authorised or not. I cant remember if you authorise the reader via SL or ADE but if you click on SL help in the SL that will tell you how to authorise it
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
chicoelnino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimick View Post
Way I remember it you need to download Adobe Digital Editions and authorise your computer through that
your "About" section on your 650 will tell you whether the reader is authorised or not. I cant remember if you authorise the reader via SL or ADE but if you click on SL help in the SL that will tell you how to authorise it
But my computer and reader are authorized? I did it by downloading an ebook and then it says it needs to be authorized via adobe, which I did. So now the reader says its authorized and so is the computer.

Whats SL btw?
Old 11-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Im not sure if the SL you can transfer PDF to as I use Calibre which is a free library (see elsewhere on the forum) to arrnge and transfer books to the reader. You can also convert the books to LRF or EPUB.
http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download
Download Calibre and then plug in your reader and it should recognise your Reader. But do not have Calibre and your SL open at the same time.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
Kiwimick
Addict

apologies SL is Sony Library
Old 11-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
Kiwimick
Addict

I alos have a few PDF files and I drop and drag them onto my Calibre library and the I can convert to LRF (My preferred format) and edit the metadata ie name of the book / author and arrange into collections. Its easy to use as even I can do it and really you only need to use Sony Library if you are getting DRM books or borrowing from the library
Old 11-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
chicoelnino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwimick View Post
I alos have a few PDF files and I drop and drag them onto my Calibre library and the I can convert to LRF (My preferred format) and edit the metadata ie name of the book / author and arrange into collections. Its easy to use as even I can do it and really you only need to use Sony Library if you are getting DRM books or borrowing from the library

Yes I have used calibre and i convert the pdf's into LRF and only get first 2 or 3 pages of the book been transferred over.

I have absolutely no idea what to do. I've authorized the correct way, I've installed calibre and added the book(s) to the program, clicked convert: imput pdf, output: LRF and still can't get proper results.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #12
chicoelnino

Ok, I just converted a pdf book which was 35MB into LFR format, which took 20 mins to do and the resulting file is now 135MB.

Is this normal time frame to convert?
Old 11-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #13
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Still no info as to your system... but have you tried converting your PDF to another filetype like ePub... and no, it shouldn't take the length of time to transfer that you're getting...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #14
chicoelnino

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Still no info as to your system... but have you tried converting your PDF to another filetype like ePub... and no, it shouldn't take the length of time to transfer that you're getting...
I'm sorry, yes I should have posted that info earlier for you.

Im running Windows 7 x64 bit.

I'm not really a technical person as you can see, so I would really appreciate any help to get the fixed.

I'm curring sending that 135MB file to the reader and so far its taking 16 mins and still not transferred.

I fear there is something wrong in which I won't be able to solve myself

The above 135MB file took 35 mins to transfer....its now on the device, but thats a silly amount of time to wait.
Must be something to do with USB?

Last edited by chicoelnino; 11-27-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #15
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I can offer up a little bit in the way of answering your questions...

* Yes, LRF files are very very large compared to other file types. I recommend EPUB

* Some PDF files won't convert well. It depends on how the PDF was made.

* The conversion process can take quite a bit of time.

* I suspect something is unusual with your PDF files that makes them difficult to transfer. Are they copyrighted material, or can you attach one of them so we can take a look and see if we have the same issue transferring it to our readers?

* If you've authorized your reader using the Sony Library, you do NOT have to also authorize it using ADE.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote