Docudesk's new program is out, and it is excellent (on Mac atleast!):

http://labs.docudesk.com/latest-tech...deskunpdf.html
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
gdxf
Enthusiast
gdxf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I've tested its Windows version. For pdf files based on images, the lrf output result is not desirable to me, obviously the conversion depends entirely on the program's OCR capability. In this respect the program does not have much advantage compared with ther OCR softwares.
gdxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #3
gdxf
Enthusiast
gdxf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
For text based pdf documents, this program does a wonderful job. Its speed of conversion is fast. Batch file processing is great. It makes me wonder whether there could be a program that can reflow the image-based pdf to lrf without OCR.
gdxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I wish it had an output other than lrf, so we iLiad users could use it. But I guess that's what PDFtoHTML is for -- now that we have fbreader to read html.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
jimmyzou
Connoisseur
jimmyzou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader; Kobo; Nook color
This is really wonderful tools for Sony reader users. I try it and immediately put it on my first piority than Scansoft's PDF converter before
jimmyzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
This thing is awesome so far. Not sure if I can create a linked Table of Contents yet since I just downloaded it, but I like it better than Libriate for creating .lrf files. I can finally have italics and some formatting when I make books. I can also do illustrated versions now too. Yay!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You'd get more features with pdftohtml + html2lrf/BookDesigner
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #8
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
You'd get more features with pdftohtml + html2lrf/BookDesigner
Well I'm on a basic non-intel, non-windows having Mac, so my options were pretty limited until this came out. I don't know any programming code and I don't use Terminal, so I am the guy that has to wait for the nice and easy GUI's to come out. I may try to figure out the programming stuff, but I just don't have enough time in the day...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah that would explain your reluctance. The hard part is really installing the tools, not using them. A simple use case would look like
Code:
pdftohtml my.pdf
html2lrf my.html
But yeah, until you can get past the installation hurdle, you're better off with the GUI.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
ddesk
Darren
ddesk is on a distinguished road

Device: PPC-6700/PRS-500
The final release version of deskUNPDF Professional is spec'd to perform PDF-HTML conversion, handle pdf-BBeB TOC conversions and internal links, the OCR engine will be enabled for extracting text from images and fixing text from PDFs with non-standard font encodings (all of this is detailed in the readme file). On the pdftohtml->html2lrf solution, I can tell you that deskUNPDF will outperform pdftohtml in creating structured text, paragraphs etc, from PDFs hands down. Besides this, doing an extra conversion (pdf-html-lrf vs pdf-lrf) is always going to me more lossy.
ddesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:02 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That's great, are you going to release the pdf->html converter as a standalone app/library as well. What's it written in?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:23 AM   #12
dsyzling
dsyzling began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
re pdftohtml - does this extact embedded images? Last time I tried the 0.39 Windows command line tool it only extracted text (in simple mode). Complex mode converted to png but for final conversion to lrf that wasn't too useful for me. All formatting, headings, document structure was lost as well.

Darren
dsyzling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:35 AM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddesk
... fixing text from PDFs with non-standard font encodings
This is particularly interesting to me. I've had a couple of PDFs that I wasn't able to convert using other tools because of non-standard encodings.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #14
ddesk
Darren
ddesk is on a distinguished road

Device: PPC-6700/PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
That's great, are you going to release the pdf->html converter as a standalone app/library as well. What's it written in?
The entire conversion engine, PDF to all formats, will be available as an API. It is written in Java, which is compiled to native code for various platforms using GCJ (incidentally, we have an article on our labs site about building an OS X cross compiler for GCJ). For the initial release, the library will be available as a Java class (linked via JNI) and a COM component for Windows. That said, our main focus is on creating simple to use end user applications. Its nice to have different tools available, especially open source ones. Have you thought of creating simple installer packages for your python prs500-gui app? It was a pretty high bar to get all of the needed dependencies installed (at least on OS X), too much for the average user. With all of the features it offers, I know it would be a welcomed contribution.
ddesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:22 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There is an installer for windows and for linux its just a couple of commands. However, I don't have convenient access to an OSX machine, so I can't maintain an OSX installer. It's a pity...

A cross platform text extraction engine for PDF is a really useful thing. I'm looking forward to it.