Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
jstevens75
jstevens75 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 Battery Life-Compare info here

So I got about 10 days with moderate use of the Kindle 3 with Wifi on. I did not wait until the battery completely died so maybe I could have got another day. I have a Kindle 3 3G. I use it 95% on wifi though so far. I have read about a book or so. I have used it for some moderate Google reader browsing. Not loaded too many books. Maybe 10-15 or so. I use the lighted cover about 30% of the time.

That is my battery story up till now. This is the third charge.

Thanks,

J
jstevens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
robins777
Enthusiast
robins777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3-- Archos 5 A
I have charged mine 4 times in 3 weeks but have never let it run out compleatly. I read about 3 hours a day and have the Wi Fi on only when I am downloading unless I forget to turn it off.
robins777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
Granvillen
Enthusiast
Granvillen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2i., K3
I got my K3 at the very beginning, After downloading all my books, indexing and reading at least 1 hr a day, and rarely using WN, I have only charged mine twice. I get a good 15+ days down to about 30%. If I let the battery run out, I am certain I would be 30 days
Granvillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
jstevens75

So when you say rarely use WN, do you mean you actually have it turned off?

Thanks,

J
Old 09-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
19 days so far with WiFi on

I received my present Kindle WiFi on Sep 8, 2010, and so far today, Sep 27, 2010, I have not had to recharge. I always keep the WiFi on since I do frequent syncing between my Kindle for PC and the Kindle WiFi.

My battery meter shows 25% left. I use it about 3 hours each day to read my Bible and other eBooks.

However, I will have to recharge Wednesday, Sep 29, in any event since I go to Bible Study that night and would not want to have my Kindle die during the session.

I do carry a fully charged NowBible to supplement it just in case it does die.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-27-2010 at 10:42 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
Granvillen
Enthusiast
Granvillen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2i., K3
I turn offthe WN and only turn it on when I want to download a blog or book. Basically, it is always off
Granvillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
jstevens75

Are you doing any web surfing at all?
Old 09-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
AZ_Dee
AZ_Dee doesn't litterAZ_Dee doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, PRS-900, Kindle 3/3g
With less than 10 minutes of use with 3g to download books and at all other times turned off, I get approximately 10 days use from full charge to the warning pop-up on my screen. This is with moderate use of approx. 2-3 hours reading daily.

However, this is when using the Kindle 3 cover with light 100% of the time. I think 10 days' use while the booklight is pulling power directly from the Kindle is outstanding and I have absolutely no complaints. I was in the "never will buy a Kindle" boat for quite a while until I heard about this cover with light that requires no separate batteries. That is what hooked me and although there are a couple things that drive me insane about the Kindle (lack of a true management system ) I still use this over all my Sonys now.

That being said though, if Sony were to come up with the same type of lighted cover, I would jump right back to them. Sorry, but true!
AZ_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The 3G modem is always enabled and connected if you've got wireless on. This includes periods when it is connected via WiFi. You can check if you go to the Settings page and then hold alt and then do TQQ (611) It will show you connected to the AT&T or Vodafone network whilst you're on WiFi still.

I get around 7-10 days with my Kindle 3G+WiFi with wireless enabled which is what Amazon claim it will do. I don't really turn off wireless so I don't know whether the 1 month without wireless estimate is accurate or not. Somebody did post to say it was roughly correct though.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
jstevens75

Im curious if disabling 3G but keeping wireless on will be an option in future software releases.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens75 View Post
Im curious if disabling 3G but keeping wireless on will be an option in future software releases.
Hopefully. The battery life of the 3G+WiFi model should be very close to the WiFi only model if it can turn off just the 3G modem.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G + wifi, Sony PRS-300, iTouch 4G, Galaxy S Vibrant
My guess is that it is an all-in-one chip so it may not be possible to turn just 3G off.

I seem to be getting lower battery performance than the others here, I have wireless enabled alll the time and get more like 4-6 days. That being said I just got it a few weeks ago and am constantly playing around with the web browser etc (more taxing than just reading), we'll see once the novelty wears off a bit and I'm using more strictly for reading.
jphphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #13
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphphotography View Post
My guess is that it is an all-in-one chip so it may not be possible to turn just 3G off.
They're separate. The WiFi controller is an Atheros AR6102G chip built into the main Kindle board. The 3G modem is an AnyDATA DTP-600W Mini-PCIe card thats fitted into a socket on the 3G+WiFi models.

What I'm unsure about currently as I've not looked closely is whether you can separately control the power for the USB port that Atheros is on and the USB port that the AnyDATA 3G modem is on. Both are actually USB devices just one is integrated into the board and the other uses the USB portion of the Mini PCI Express interface.

Quote:
I seem to be getting lower battery performance than the others here, I have wireless enabled alll the time and get more like 4-6 days. That being said I just got it a few weeks ago and am constantly playing around with the web browser etc (more taxing than just reading), we'll see once the novelty wears off a bit and I'm using more strictly for reading.
Yes. Using the browser would consume more power than reading. If you're getting around a week then I'd say its nothing to be worried about.

Indexing of new items, using the browser or store and just reading more than what Amazon are using as an estimate of daily usage will all affect the battery life. I've no idea what Amazon assume your daily usage will be. Just saying that it'll be part of their calculations.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #14
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
There are many variables to any valid "battery life comparison" study ...

-Have you run your new Li-Po battery through three or four discharge-charge cycles? If not, than anything you report is relatively valueless.

-The connectivity status - how many hours ON / OFF during your "test" period?

-Charging method - are you charging per Amazon's recommendations? And if not, how are you charging to ensure proper/complete charges?

-What is the total size of your library? How many of each file type are on your Kindle?

And there's many more variables ... But if a "battery life comparison" study does NOT take into account the above at a minimum, then it is not really acknowledging the basics of what a "study" is truly about.

Anecdotal stories have their place, of course. But they should not necessarily be perceived as fact.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Web browser may use current

Quote:
Using the web browser may use more current than just reading. I just got the recharge notice after 20 days on my first charge with WiFi on but only use syncing a lot. I rarely web browse since my PC is available for that and a lot more efficient. Its my first recharge.

I read about 3 hours per day. I Sync before and after every use of the K3 and the Kindle for PC to keep all my Bookmarks, Notes and Highlights synchronized.

I always use Sleep Mode when done reading and don't leave it on for the 10 minute decline to Sleep Mode. I never use Shutdown Mode and never turn my WiFi off.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-28-2010 at 12:27 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote