Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which books are your picks for the November 2013 MobileRead Book Club selection?
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas 19 47.50%
All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque 14 35.00%
Going to the Dogs: The Story of a Moralist by Erich Kästner 7 17.50%
The Gospel According to Jesus Christ by José Saramago 10 25.00%
Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis 3 7.50%
The Dinner by Herman Koch 8 20.00%
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn 9 22.50%
White Fever: A Journey to the Frozen Heart of Siberia by Jacek Hugo 5 12.50%
The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hidayat 3 7.50%
Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko 9 22.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #16
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
hm, The Count of Monte Christo has the most votes till now.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for the All quiet on the Western front (which I didn't vote for) or some other book to win.....
I read Monte Christo about the same time, 4 or 5 times, that I read all Jules Verne (a very long time ago). And I saw three different films of it. Old news.......well....won't read this book again, really.
Same for me. Ah well, it gives me a bit more time for my TBR heap.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #17
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I voted for it and am still kinda wishing something else would pass it up. I still will try it if it does win though.

Most of that is because I have just started another 1,100+ page book and I am not sure I will like reading two monsters one after the other. I have already cancelled my next library hold because I am not sure I would be able to read my current book and whatever gets selected and it before it would likely be due. Fortunately the book I want has a short waiting list (2-4 people since I have been watching it).

Edit: I might find an abridged version if it does get selected depending on how well I get into the complete version. Or maybe this version, although that may defeat the purpose.

Last edited by Dazrin; 10-25-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #18
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I won't have time anyway, I think.
I am rather India- oriented these days; I managed to squeeze Victoria &Abdul in, but would like to finish the Satanic Verses as well as the divers Lonely Planet of India and the Mahabharata, and the River of Smokefrom Amitav Ghosh before I leave for India at the end of next week. And working some. Well....impossible..
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I read it yrs ago and will try to read it again if Monte Cristo wins. It is a good read.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Barring a last minute miracle, it looks like it will be the Dumas! When I voted for it I didn't expect it to win. Even though it's a more well-known title which usually seems to bring in votes, it's also really long.

It's one of those (many) books though that I did want to eventually read in my lifetime and glad to have the little push to do it now rather than later. I've never read it, never seen a film of it nor do I know any details of the story save for the general plot description, so I'll be going into it "fresh" and looking forward to it.

This was really a fantastic month for nominations all around. Though the nominations couldn't originally have been written in English, they could've all ended up the from the same few countries or languages, but if I'm counting correctly then there are at least eight different countries and languages represented in the ten nominations this month, which is wonderful.

I also just like the nominations this month. I'd have been up for reading nine out of ten of them and had to pick some not to vote for because I had checked so many at first. The only one I wasn't interested in, Night Watch, I had seen the Russian film of, and though it was an interesting film, I wasn't sure if the story would be enough for me to read the book while already knowing what happens.

The length of the Dumas seems daunting, but I've heard it reads quickly. I need to hurry and finish The Secret River so I can get started on this. I've been finishing many book club selections rather late in the game and was on the verge of catching up for now so I hope I can keep up with this one.

For those who are interested in a complete, unabridged translation, there is a Penguin version. From checking around the last few days, I've noticed some others claim to be unabridged but really aren't, but it seems the Penguin translation by Robin Buss is the real deal.

The version here at MobileRead had been originally edited, as Harry notes on the posting page for it. It is claimed by some to unabridged but was still edited for content, cutting out some of the more risqué parts. If I'm not mistaken (and I haven't thoroughly investigated, so I could be) it seems like the version here at MobileRead was the most complete version in English until the Penguin Buss version. Harry, the uploader of the MR version, actually recommends the still copyrighted Buss translation if one wants the completely unabridged version. Though I'd love to read the free and surely impeccably proofread version here, I'm opting for the completely unabridged Penguin version. At the moment it's $6.60 Kindle US and £4.41 Kindle UK. Here are some links for it if anyone else is interested:

Kindle US
Kindle UK
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #21
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks sun surfer. That info about the translations will be very helpful for me when I get around to reading this finally.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:06 AM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
It looks like the classic Dumas tale won by a good margin.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #23
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I'm opting for the completely unabridged Penguin version. At the moment it's $6.60 Kindle US and £4.41 Kindle UK. Here are some links for it if anyone else is interested:

Kindle US
Kindle UK
I bought the Penguin edition translated by Robin Buss and it was definitely worth the purchase price. I most appreciate the links to the footnotes so that I can easily transition back and forth. It is impeccably edited.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #24
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I bought the Penguin edition translated by Robin Buss and it was definitely worth the purchase price. I most appreciate the links to the footnotes so that I can easily transition back and forth. It is impeccably edited.
I agree. I've read the novel several times and this translation flows along quite naturally--much more so that the old one. The footnotes are very good too.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 11-03-2013 at 05:21 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote