Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
M.R.James - What's the big deal?

I've heard readers on here singing his praises. Seriously, what's the big deal? I've read three of his stories and I was disappointed by all three. One was the story the famous Rolling the Runes story and movie is based on. The story was...thin compared to the TV and movie adaptions. I read one about a haunted dolls-house. This was better. The description of the goings-on in the doll's house were good, but the story went absolutely nowhere. No explanation, no ending as such. I was looking for the next page. The last one was about some Cambridge academic ranging across Spain looking for illuminated texts, finding one which produced a ghost of some sort, and that was it. Again, no real ending. What is the big deal about this guy? Has he written something really good that I don't know about. Please feel free to recommend me some stories of him that live up to his reputation.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Don't know a lot about M. R. James, though he seems to be a contemporary of H. P. Lovecraft (Lovecraft admired his works). Early Horror writer. As with a lot of early "Classics", tastes change. If he isn't working for, it's probably time to move on to another author.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert