Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
etherspin
Connoisseur
etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Recommend a service that will make a book available in lots of formats ?

Hi all, there are two authors I have tried to recommend the ebook route to but they are both Uni profs and short on time, one managed to get his first book avail for kindle, what Im wondering is if there is a company that will take a .doc or other non locked down format and (i.e. not a pdf) and make it available in various bookstores as epub / mobi ?
If anyone knows of such a service I would really really appreciate a hookup!!

thanks in advance for any heads ups
etherspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
MichaelFStewart
Where tech and story meet
MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Well, Mobipocket was the best one for this until Amazon closed it to new publishers. Smashswords would be there best bet. Formatting really isn't that big a deal, the real trick is to eliminate carriage returns. I'd suggest they go to Smashswords and download the howto. If this still looks too complex I know there are dudes in India willing to work on the formatting. Seriously. I know one, Sunny. formattingguru@gmail.com Then take the file and upload it.

Good luck with it.
MichaelFStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I don't have any experience in preparing a book for uploading, but the below links may be helpful in making the project into a do-it-yourself easy process.. (what are the books about?)

Smashwords main link..

https://www.smashwords.com/

The Smashwords Style Guide...(Free)

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52

And... How to Publish on Smashwords...

https://www.smashwords.com/about/how..._on_smashwords

The below shows format options available to customers....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	36230click me to enlarge
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
Kevin Gerard
Kevin Gerard
Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smashwords - they even help you do it - fits about 8 different formats once you've uploaded.
Kevin Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
etherspin
Connoisseur
etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

thanks for the response guys - this is superb and exactly what I was looking for, I apologise for the slow reply,I work in a school and as soon as holidays commenced the virus I must have been incubating knocked me out for a week!
The authors are philosophers with articles on sentience and interests of living beings.
I won't name them as I havent proposed my ideas to them yet but I'll post links if they go for it!
etherspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert