Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur
Guiltyr1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Padigital Novel
Kindle, Wi-Fi, 6" Time Setting?

Subject line says it all. I have an older Kindle, Wi-Fi, 6" that I bought in 2012. I don't have it connected to the web b/c I don't want to see the ads. How do I set the time? I have checked all the menus and there is no way to set the time. Do I have to connect to the web/register it to set the time? Is there a hack to set the time? Anything? Any help would be appreciated.
Guiltyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur

Actually, I logged into Amazon and I do have it registered. Just thought I would add this info. TIA
Advert
Old 10-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There is a hack to set the time from public time servers, but it requires internet connectivity.
It is useful for people who have the anti-Amazon hack "BBB Firewall" installed.

You can also set the datetime via the "date" command if you have terminal access, either via USBNetwork or the KUAL kterm extension or suchlike.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur

Thank you but, that is way above me; can you dumb it down ;-)
Old 10-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If it's registered, just sync it to Amazon's servers. The time will update. If your Kindle has ads, those will update, but they'll expire eventually.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, simplest way is to just sync with Amazon's servers.

Setting it via command-line parameters is the only offline way of doing it (because you have to supply the data yourself ) which is not something that can be dumbed down.

P.S. The ads are not really annoying, you only see them when your Kindle isn't, um, actually turned ON... not when you are reading.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
JohnTRN
Enthusiast
JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Just ran into this with my Kindle 4th Gen NT. Did a factory reset and side-loaded books. Was happy to not have the advertisements. Also found I could not set the time; could not access the setting at all. Had to register it, which synced it with my Amazon account and gave ads back. I'll just have to wait them out, but at least I have my 24 hour clock back.

John
JohnTRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:52 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

You should only need to sync after the Kindle is restarted. If the ads really annoy you (but the nag to "connect to download the latest ads" doesn't) you can always use the KUAL Firewall with BBB filter to firewall Amazon out of your Kindle. That will block ads, the Kindle Store, syncing for Amazon's timeservers, everything else, and so forth.
Requires: KUAL

Then use KUAL DateTime Button to update the time.
Only necessary after the Kindle is restarted.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:27 AM   #9
JohnTRN
Enthusiast
JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You should only need to sync after the Kindle is restarted. If the ads really annoy you (but the nag to "connect to download the latest ads" doesn't) you can always use the KUAL Firewall with BBB filter to firewall Amazon out of your Kindle. That will block ads, the Kindle Store, syncing for Amazon's timeservers, everything else, and so forth.
Requires: KUAL

Then use KUAL DateTime Button to update the time.
Only necessary after the Kindle is restarted.

Morning eschwartz!

That looks VERY interesting! Will it work on a factory Kindle or does it have to be Jailbroken?

John
Old 10-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTRN View Post
Morning eschwartz!

That looks VERY interesting! Will it work on a factory Kindle or does it have to be Jailbroken?

John
Check out the KUAL link. Make note of the requirements for running KUAL.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
JohnTRN
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Check out the KUAL link. Make note of the requirements for running KUAL.

And it all comes clear! Thanks for pointing that out eschwartz. I'm camping, on my iPad. Checked out the first link and could have figured that out if I had checked the second. Have thought about JBing my 4NT. It's way out of warranty. 😊

John