Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Boingo
Boingo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
OSError: [Errno 31] Too many links:

Hello there,

Been happily using Calibre for some time, through a number of versions. No problems until now. I am on Kubuntu Linux 12.04. I have a lot of books (66851) and recently when trying to add more, I get this for every book.

[Some names have changed to protect the innocent] Any help or hints would be great. Thank you in advance.

calibre, version 0.9.39
ERROR: Some failures: Failed to apply updated metadata for some books in your library. Click "Show Details" to see details.

Some Book Title - Some Author

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/actions/edit_metadata.py", line 670, in apply_mi
File "site-packages/calibre/library/database2.py", line 2278, in set_metadata
File "site-packages/calibre/library/database2.py", line 641, in set_path
File "os.py", line 150, in makedirs
File "os.py", line 157, in makedirs
OSError: [Errno 31] Too many links: '/home/myhome/Books/CalibreLibrary/Some Author'
Boingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
if I google for Kubuntu Too many links - some references refer to a limit of 64K links

64K is 65,536 - which is not far from 66851 - just a thought

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I think the error is related to *symbolic links*

Does calibre use symbolic links instead of actual directories? I don't know.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Check the quota setting to see if you have exceeded the defaults for your account.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I think the error is related to *symbolic links*

Does calibre use symbolic links instead of actual directories? I don't know.
No.

BR
Advert
Old 07-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
Boingo

I do not have quotas on my account.

So, is there a solution to this? I mean, it is likely I will collect more documents/books over time and I would like to keep using Calibre in the meantime. Is there a work around? BR, I think you are on to something. Given a few books with the same author, it probably does come out close. If I remove a few books, then I am able to load some books properly, so I think it must be related.

A thought....
It would be great if Calibre abstracted the directories one more level, say, by the first letter of the author, so there would be /Library/A/AuthorsStartingWithA/Book, that would reduce the number of directories to 26 (or so, not including numbers, foreign languages, etc) and reduce the number of entries in each substantially.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boingo View Post
I do not have quotas on my account.

So, is there a solution to this? I mean, it is likely I will collect more documents/books over time and I would like to keep using Calibre in the meantime. Is there a work around? BR, I think you are on to something. Given a few books with the same author, it probably does come out close. If I remove a few books, then I am able to load some books properly, so I think it must be related.
How many authors - you can see that the "tag browser"

Each author has a lookup URI link - you see it in the Book Details, the link pattern is defined at the top of Preferences->Look and Feel->Book Details, it defaults to Wikipedia

You can set the link for an individual author in Manage Authors, which is behind the Alter Tag Browser button at the bottom of the Tag Browser. Try changing a few to a fixed URI and see if you can add some books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boingo View Post
A thought....
It would be great if Calibre abstracted the directories one more level, say, by the first letter of the author, so there would be /Library/A/AuthorsStartingWithA/Book, that would reduce the number of directories to 26 (or so, not including numbers, foreign languages, etc) and reduce the number of entries in each substantially.
Could you partition your library into a few libraries - eg fiction, reference, comics

Meantime you can post a defect report here ==>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre put a link back to here

BR
Old 07-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use multiple libraries, or use a better file system. I believe btrfs has 2^32 (though I may be misremembering). I think only the ext and FAT family have such low max counts.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 07-18-2013 at 11:17 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
Boingo

I am using ext3 now. Seems like a pretty good FS.

My authors tag list says 36242 authors.