Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-25-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
MicheleC
Enthusiast
MicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: PalmTX/Illiad v2/PB 360/Nexus 7/Kobo Clara/Boox Nova Pro
Is it still possible to brick the Iliad?

Hello Experts,

I really want to order this but I am concerned about the possibility of trashing this expensive piece of equipment as I try to load FBreader and iPDF. I'm an expert Windows user but only a novice at Linux and what I don't know about how to load programs and recover from errors scares me.

big Michele
MicheleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
AFAICT installing FBReader and the community ipdf is not going to brick your iliad. And even if you do it is now relatively easy to unbrick it. I think the problem was that back in the old days it was necessary to send the iliad back to irex for unbricking, but that is no longer the case.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
MicheleC
Enthusiast
MicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterMicheleC can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Thanks Daudi.

I'm just going to give in and order it.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
The short answer: With software 2.11 and shell access, it is not possible to brick your iLiad by installing any of the programs available on Mobileread.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:05 PM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
If someone is really mean though or you try really hard yourself, you could still brick your iLiad though. But as Adam said, all mobileread applications will not leave your iLiad useless.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
MicheleC
Enthusiast

Conversion complete!

I've just ordered my new Iliad and I can't stop thinking about what I'll do with it. Hope it comes soon.

I started looking seriously at eink readers because of the Kindle announcement. I wonder if sales of other readers will pickup because of Kindle publicity?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:48 AM   #7
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
I'm sure we all hope so ... and hope that publishers become more willing to convert their content to an electronic format by default - the only problem publishers have is - which ones to use? MobiPocket will have a big boost if Kindle sales are succesful - if the content is made available through other channels then this could boost Iliad attractiveness also.
Fingers crossed! I hope you get much pleasure from your Iliad when it arrives.
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote