Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
ppp75
ppp75 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Editing metadata of books on device

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if there is a way to edit the metadatas of my books located in my device (kindle3)?
Because i firgured out how to do it when the books are on my calibre library but when i'm on the device part of calibre the "edit metadata" button is grey.

If not, do i have to send all my ebooks on the calibre library then edit the metadata and delete the ebooks on my device to finally resend all the edited ones on my device?

I'm sure there's a simple way to do it
Please help me on that.
Thanks.
ppp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppp75 View Post
If not, do i have to send all my ebooks on the calibre library then edit the metadata and delete the ebooks on my device to finally resend all the edited ones on my device?

I'm sure there's a simple way to do it
I think you have outlined the "simple way."
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
ppp75
ppp75 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
oh ok, i wished there was a simplier way really.
And by curiosity, why editing metadata directly on ebooks that are in the device isnt possible? Is it a technical issue or just a feature that is not implemented (yet)?
ppp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppp75 View Post
oh ok, i wished there was a simplier way really.
And by curiosity, why editing metadata directly on ebooks that are in the device isnt possible? Is it a technical issue or just a feature that is not implemented (yet)?
You said it!
Editing Metadata in the books

Calibre is a Library manager, not an editor.
Updating the books metadata is a side effect of "sending to..."

Last edited by theducks; 11-16-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added books
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
You can also tell calibre to manage the device meta data automatically, then it updates the meta data on the device each time you connect your kindle (you'll find this in the "Send to your devices" options)
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by opitzs View Post
You can also tell calibre to manage the device meta data automatically, then it updates the meta data on the device each time you connect your kindle (you'll find this in the "Send to your devices" options)
But you're spoiled since you use Sony devices. Kindle owners don't experience the same great feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Amazon provides no way for calibre to update metadata for books (or anything else, for that matter), so automatic management doesn't do much on a Kindle (calibre keeps its own metadata cache up to date). This is also why collection information is not updated on kindles.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
dezert
dezert began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I have a Kindle DX and this option works for me, at least since I don't have any books purchased from Amazon. Thanks for the great tip
dezert is offline   Reply With Quote