Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Graal quest : Comic book reader, a reality?

Hi guys,

its been a while I haven't stayed in touch with the e readers hardware side of things, and I was wondering if there is finally an ebook reader for comic books?

I was looking something with e-ink technology, long lasting rechargeable batterie, open format support, including cbr and cbz, large screen of 11x8 in, compact flash support, fast database creation (unlike sony), an interchangeable battery, a device you can power off completely without the need to rebuild the database each time (looking at you sony) and color.

A long time ago I heard of plastic logic building a color e-ink reader that looked a lot like that... is there something available for my needs or do I have to wait a few more years?

nb: I don't really care for video playback, touchscreen or any of the fizzle, I just want a good piece of equipment that does what its supposed to do ie: read books.

thanks

Last edited by Student1; 12-14-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
right now color eink isn't out yet best bet right now is the nook color. I'm really enjoying mine, even on the reading of novels much to my surprise.

But yeah comics should shine on this device.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I don't know if it supports cbr and cbz but it may be worth to check out the new Pocketbook 902. And forget about PlasticLogic's vaporware, it's made out of love, friendship and flying unicorn pigs!
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Student1
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
I don't know if it supports cbr and cbz but it may be worth to check out the new Pocketbook 902. And forget about PlasticLogic's vaporware, it's made out of love, friendship and flying unicorn pigs!
Thanks for the input guys! Too bad about plastic logic, on paper it did sound amazing .
Old 12-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
If I were to get a reader for my comics/GNs I would get the Nook Colour. That is only based on what I have read regarding the screen and ease of use from others with one that use NC for GNs.

I have also heard a lot of good things about the Pocketbook IQ.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
If I were to get a reader for my comics/GNs I would get the Nook Colour. That is only based on what I have read regarding the screen and ease of use from others with one that use NC for GNs.

I have also heard a lot of good things about the Pocketbook IQ.
Isn't the nook colour a little bit too small for comics? I mean... for reading the text bubbles. Perhaps manga works because it's mostly b/w but comics are mostly in color.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Quote:
Isn't the nook colour a little bit too small for comics? I mean... for reading the text bubbles. Perhaps manga works because it's mostly b/w but comics are mostly in color.
From what I have been told (and maybe somebody that has read comics on a NC can chime in), I would assume landscape, zooming, and scrolling comes into play. I have read here they look great on the NC and easy to read as well.

I have to zoom and scroll on my laptop and I think it would be easier to do with a touchscreen. That is just my opinion though.

Last edited by Care; 12-14-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
Student1
Groupie

Quote:
From what I have been told (and maybe somebody that has read comics on a NC can chime in), I would assume landscape, zooming, and scrolling comes into play. I have read here they look great on the NC and easy to read as well.

I have to zoom and scroll on my laptop and I think it would be easier to do with a touchscreen. That is just my opinion though.

Zooming in, scrolling takes a lot away from the experience, from what i'm hearing i might have to wait for something larger with real color e-ink for long battery times... guessing 2012 or so. Real cbr, cbz support will hopefulyl be standard by then!

Last edited by Student1; 12-14-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I think that would depend a bit on how good your eyes are and what kind of comics you read.

And about what reader would fit you, it would be helpful if you mentioned where you're from. Buying the Nook Colour for instance, can be a pain if you're not from the US
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
Student1
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I think that would depend a bit on how good your eyes are and what kind of comics you read.

And about what reader would fit you, it would be helpful if you mentioned where you're from. Buying the Nook Colour for instance, can be a pain if you're not from the US
I'm from Canada, so anything us wise wont be that difficult. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #11
Care
Aes Sedai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student1 View Post
Zooming in, scrolling takes a lot away from the experience, from what i'm hearing i might have to wait for something larger with real color e-ink for long battery times... guessing 2012 or so. Real cbr, cbz support will hopefulyl be standard by then!
I agree, it is a pain. But I always have to do it anyway and I don't read enough GNs to purchase a good tablet like the iPad or Galaxy. For now that is what I would get if I were you. Or wait. I use my laptop and it is a pain sometimes. Maybe I don't have the proper reader for them. What do you read them on now, or do you just read the physical copies?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Have you looked at the iPad? It's a bit pricey, but the size is great for reading comics. The Pocketbook IQ is 7 inches, but it's pretty cheap (around $150, I think). I haven't read anything about how good it is with comics, yet.

No colour e-ink yet, unfortunately. I would also love a colour reader for my comics.
You can use calibre to convert your cbr and cbz files to epub (I do that with my manga, which I read on my PRS-505.) It's a free program:

http://calibre-ebook.com/
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
Student1
Groupie

Quote:
I agree, it is a pain. But I always have to do it anyway and I don't read enough GNs to purchase a good tablet like the iPad or Galaxy. For now that is what I would get if I were you. Or wait. I use my laptop and it is a pain sometimes. Maybe I don't have the proper reader for them. What do you read them on now, or do you just read the physical copies?
Only physical copies, its mainly to use as a table book for my old Tintin, Asterix, Luke et Luke, Spirou collections. Mainly going to use ir for regular novels, but it would be nice to have something to hold all these collections in one place.

Ipad and galaxy seem nice, but the screen from what I read is not e-ink and battery wise it wont last as long as a device that only use the batteries when turning the pages.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
Student1
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Have you looked at the iPad? It's a bit pricey, but the size is great for reading comics. The Pocketbook IQ is 7 inches, but it's pretty cheap (around $150, I think). I haven't read anything about how good it is with comics, yet.

No colour e-ink yet, unfortunately. I would also love a colour reader for my comics.
You can use calibre to convert your cbr and cbz files to epub (I do that with my manga, which I read on my PRS-505.) It's a free program:

Thanks, yes I use Calibre exclusively to manage my book collection! I converted some of my old gamebooks with it! Great software!

Last edited by Student1; 12-14-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #15
darknessangel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post

Well... I use the ipad and it's awesome for manga. But OP wanted something with eink...