Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #1126
martink77
martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: PB Inkpad 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H20
It would be lovely to have a possibility to completely customize zones for "page forward", "page back" and "reading menu" in Reading Settings/Page Controls on the touch screen. If you look at the current 4 fixed options, you can imagine you could also have 15 customizable rectangles (3 columns, 5 rows). Probably the limit would have to be that you must end up with no more than 1 zone for each action.
martink77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:25 PM   #1127
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by martink77 View Post
It would be lovely to have a possibility to completely customize zones for "page forward", "page back" and "reading menu" in Reading Settings/Page Controls on the touch screen. If you look at the current 4 fixed options, you can imagine you could also have 15 customizable rectangles (3 columns, 5 rows). Probably the limit would have to be that you must end up with no more than 1 zone for each action.
You can swipe in anyplace on the screen left for forward and right for back. Works very well. No need to define where to swipe.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #1128
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Jon; as I've pointed out in the past, the one big bug-a-boo is the newest swipe option which lets you use top to page backwards, and the bottom to page forward.

When I hold the device one handed this is the opposite of what I would want to use.

You say so use either of the other three options that lets you swipe anywhere on the right (or left deepening on option chosen) to page forward. The issue with this is I also am known to change hands for reading; this of course entails re-configuring the settings to allow for a natural, one handed solution.

On the other hand, IF I could select top to page forwards and bottom to page backwards, I could hold the device one handed in either left OR right hand and know that my thumb just had to touch the top to move forwards.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #1129
martink77
martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.martink77 seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: PB Inkpad 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H20
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Jon; as I've pointed out in the past, the one big bug-a-boo is the newest swipe option which lets you use top to page backwards, and the bottom to page forward.

When I hold the device one handed this is the opposite of what I would want to use.

You say so use either of the other three options that lets you swipe anywhere on the right (or left deepening on option chosen) to page forward. The issue with this is I also am known to change hands for reading; this of course entails re-configuring the settings to allow for a natural, one handed solution.

On the other hand, IF I could select top to page forwards and bottom to page backwards, I could hold the device one handed in either left OR right hand and know that my thumb just had to touch the top to move forwards.
@JSWolf "You can swipe in anyplace on the screen left for forward and right for back. Works very well. No need to define where to swipe."

Yes, I know I can swipe left or right anywhere, I some times hold the reader in such way swiping is too much effort I am just used to Moon+ Reader, where you can define L-shape zones etc. I do not get the new page control option offered by Kobo (although I use it) - who needs a "menu zone" across the middle of the whole screen? I would prefer to have a stipe of "back" on top and U shape of "forward" on the bottom.

@PeterT
I quess you misunderstand touching for swiping here.
martink77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:25 AM   #1130
DouglasK
DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Onyx Note Air3, Kobo Aura HD, Nexus 7 (2013)
In the Kobo Store on the eReader (and ideally on the website), I'd like there to be a word count for the book.

Right now, there's no way of knowing if a book is just a great value (eg, something like Brave New World ringing in at under $3), or if it's a short story that'll take 15 mins to read.

I suggest word count because I've seen other online sellers use it, which means it's likely provided by the publisher, or is easily grabbed by a script when they package the book for the kepub format.

Anyone else believe this would improve their experience and / or the likelyhood of buying more books?
DouglasK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #1131
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I'd prefer also including an approximate page count (more easily available from Big 5), but I certainly agree that some indication of text length would be very helpful.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:36 PM   #1132
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I'd prefer also including an approximate page count (more easily available from Big 5), but I certainly agree that some indication of text length would be very helpful.
An ADE page count would do me fine as I am used to it. Also a word count would do for everyone.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:10 PM   #1133
pakoe
pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.pakoe knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I'm very much interested in your method. Please do share. I've been recently looking for a way to streamline the vocabulary building process on Kobo myself.
First of all you need sqlite3 (sqlite3.exe for Windows), a free command line tool. Here is the most simple .bat file for Windows:
Code:
c:\xyz\SQLite3.exe "E:\.kobo\KoboReader.sqlite" "select text from bookmark" > "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\user\Desktop\annot.txt"
Replace E: by the drive letter of your Kobo!
Here is a more sophisticated .bat file producing a formatted, double sorted HTML file:
Code:
c:\xyz\SQLite3.exe "E:\.kobo\KoboReader.sqlite" "select (case when datecreated=maxdate then ('<b><i><u>' || replace(volumeid,'file:///mnt/onboard/','') || '</u></i></b><br />') else '' end), max(datecreated, coalesce(datemodified, 0)), text, coalesce(annotation, '') || '<br />' from ( select *, (select max(datecreated) from bookmark where volumeid=bm.volumeid and (text<>'' or annotation<>'')) maxdate from bookmark bm where (text<>'' or annotation<>'') order by maxdate desc, volumeid, datecreated desc )" > "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\user\Desktop\annot.html"
Here is a .bat file to delete all annotations:
Code:
c:\xyz\SQLite3.exe "E:\.kobo\KoboReader.sqlite" "delete from bookmark"
del E:\Digital Editions\Annotations\* /Q/S
I HAVE NOT tested this with books with any kind of copy protection, since all the books on my Kobo are free. So deleting annotations this way is on your own risk. Be sure always to have a backup of KoboReader.sqlite. Using sqlite3 just to read ("select") from KoboReader.sqlite is of course safe.
(I myself use a Linux script and it runs on my Kobo itself, but that's more complicated.)

Last edited by pakoe; 01-10-2015 at 02:13 AM.
pakoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:44 AM   #1134
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Thank you very much, pakoe!

I shall try out the extraction only. I'm far too much of a scaredy cat to try out the deletion!
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #1135
louisgag
louisgag began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I've just bought the new Kobo Aura HD H20 and I find it great.

The only missing feature I would say is to have a notepad to write text directly into a text file. The sketch pad is nice but only allows drawing..

Otherwise, thanks for this great ereader !

-Louis
louisgag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:36 AM   #1136
tofi
tofi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Pocket on mobile devices has no issues with opening links to files. Is it possible to add this feature to pocket on Kobo? In web browser when i click on link containing .epub file is downloaded. Why pocket can not execute browser with that link like it does with links inside downloaded articles? I think that issued problem is that pocket downloads only articles not pocketed media. Is it possible to change it?
tofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:29 AM   #1137
sumbatino
sumbatino began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura H2O
Hi to all,

it would be great the feature to turn on and off backlight by pressing the un left corner of the screen.
sumbatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #1138
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumbatino View Post
it would be great the feature to turn on and off backlight by pressing the un left corner of the screen.
It does that already - I would like to turn it off... I want my light fixed at 5%, not randomly changed just because I inadvertently swiped the left side of the screen.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #1139
sumbatino
sumbatino began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
It does that already - I would like to turn it off... I want my light fixed at 5%, not randomly changed just because I inadvertently swiped the left side of the screen.
Sorry for bad english, my request is the same of your :-P
sumbatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #1140
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Well, I'd like to have option to use 24hour clock, not 12hour with AM/PM.

Also, having clock in footer is something I always used on my old Sony ebook reader. Now, on H2O I have clock in footer (or header, depending on reader) with alternate readers, but I would like to have it also in nickel.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo