Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2014, 01:31 AM   #1006
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
My workaround, which I don't like is to put the userid and password in the URL. Such as:

Code:
http://userid:password@127.0.0.1:80
That works, while exposing another shortcoming of the browser: it rejects some addresses without even trying them.

My particular use case is a Sandisk Wireless Flash Drive, which can connect to a larger wifi network and make itself visible as http://sandisknnnnnn.local/files/ - where the bolded part is derived from the unit's MAC address.

With my iPad, I can access that URL directly, either with or without the hack you describe. With the Kobo, I can only access it through the IP address and with the hack. The only thing I can think of to explain that is that the Kobo is looking at the ".local" and saying "I know that's not real" instead of actually checking.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #1007
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
I’d really like to be able to use my own image for the sleep screen.
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2014, 02:23 AM   #1008
arasyi
Zealot
arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arasyi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insalata View Post
I’d really like to be able to use my own image for the sleep screen.
You can use this mod in the meantime
http://minutodroid.blogspot.com.br/2...-kobo-glo.html
arasyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #1009
Lofwyr23
Poker of bits and books
Lofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Tolino Vision 5
Some things coming to mind:

- Integrate with Calibre's WiFi-Connection-Feature
- OPDS-Catalogue-Compatibility
- Sub-Collections (e. g. Fantasy -> High Fantasy, Fantasy -> Modern Fantasy)
- Sync reading status across platforms (e. g. Kobo -> Android) - a nice thing if possible, not neccessary

Last edited by Lofwyr23; 05-31-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Lofwyr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #1010
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
The ability to manually arrange items in a collection. So say, if you had the entire Wheel of Time series in its own collection you could arrange them from book 1 to 14 instead of alphabetically or by date added.

As far as I am aware iBooks is the only major reader that lets you do this, which seems odd.
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #1011
Lofwyr23
Poker of bits and books
Lofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLofwyr23 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Tolino Vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
The ability to manually arrange items in a collection. So say, if you had the entire Wheel of Time series in its own collection you could arrange them from book 1 to 14 instead of alphabetically or by date added.

As far as I am aware iBooks is the only major reader that lets you do this, which seems odd.
I have yet to break sorting by series, however I use calibre instead of the (rather shoddy) desktop app...
Lofwyr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #1012
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Library has do not display book covers option. Home page should also have do not display book covers option only showing book title and author captions.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #1013
canpolat
Connoisseur
canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Xodo
I have two requets:

1. Exporting notes and highlights to Evernote, Pocket and Instapaper would be awesome.

2. And please don't try to lock people in. We are living at times where community appreciates openness and respect to privacy. There are people who are trying to make Kobo a better experience (both for themselves and others). Why not help them (create an app store so that they can share easily)? Currently, I'm desperately looking for a way to export my notes/highlights. So far, it looks like, one way is to install KOreader and use it. This is a "hack" and is not officially supported by Kobo. So, essentially, my Kobo Aura experience will be defined by the following:

a. Native application does not provide the tools I need.
b. I use third party tools that are officially not supported and you have no control over.

And I'm not alone. "Jailbreaking" is now the norm (at least it's not scary for so many people that you have to consider it as a viable usage scenario). Please be more inclusive.
canpolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:22 AM   #1014
bits
bits began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I have a major request regarding Kobo GLO and the backlight.

The controls for brightness are uneasy to use and require too much fiddeling around to dial in the wanted brightness. Why ? As soon as you take the finger from the screen the value changes severely and you need to start again to dial in the wanted brightness, and if you are lucky then randomly you get what you want when lifting the finger from the display.

There are many things to improve this:
1. Make the configuration box bigger that the way / the amount of pixel
is longer / bigger
2. Give touch fields to fine-adjust the amount brightness by +/- 1 and +/- 5
3. Give maybe 5 memory banks / touchfields where you can store the 5 most used values.

And then another wish, bring back the button to fine tune the brightness to the bottom as it was before. Its much fiddeling around if you have (maybe) bigger fingers to exactly hit this butten at the top right besides other small icons.

And another one: I want the configuration back, that the last line on the bottom can be deconfigured as the light / brightness is there very different. I remember that was configurable in the past. I dislike this fix implementation of the last releases the last year.

Many thanks !
bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #1015
morgoth
morgoth is a marvel to beholdmorgoth is a marvel to beholdmorgoth is a marvel to beholdmorgoth is a marvel to beholdmorgoth is a marvel to beholdmorgoth is a marvel to beholdmorgoth is a marvel to beholdmorgoth is a marvel to beholdmorgoth is a marvel to beholdmorgoth is a marvel to beholdmorgoth is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura, Nook Glowlight
I would love tags for Pocket ( as web/mobile versions ) for organizing hundreds of articles
morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #1016
hoichi
male solipsist pig
hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch→Kobo Aura HD
Speaking of Pocket, I'd like to have at least highlights and bookmarks for Pocket articles (yes, there are articles out there that need bookmarks. A public lecture transcript, for instance, can run more than 50 pages). That's when I might start actually using Pocket functionality. As of now, I prefer ePub export through Readability, because that gives me the usual reader for books.
hoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #1017
richardl
richardl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
You can't zoom into an epub like you can a pdf, so images are tiny even if you increase the font size.
I'd like to be able to click on an image in the epub and have it fill the screen and ideally still be zoom-able and scrollable. Without this for a whole range of technical books are pretty much useless with it.
richardl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #1018
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardl View Post
You can't zoom into an epub like you can a pdf, so images are tiny even if you increase the font size.
I'd like to be able to click on an image in the epub and have it fill the screen and ideally still be zoom-able and scrollable. Without this for a whole range of technical books are pretty much useless with it.
Oh yes--this, please. There have been so many times where there have been pictures or graphics that I can't see because they're too small.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #1019
richardl
richardl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I'd like to see model numbers on their devices. These "marketing terms" aren't precise enough to identify a specific product.

This has personally caught me out, someone purchased the wrong reader for me because of it. The shop themselves even mixed up the product and the sleep cover.

What do you call the latest Kobo Aura; Aura 6", Aura SD?
richardl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:38 PM   #1020
jandrew
Zealot
jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jandrew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardl View Post
The epub reader doesn't do it, but the kepub reader already does this.
jandrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo