Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Farewell, Robert B. Parker...

We'll miss you!

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ory?id=9602683

"Robert B. Parker, the blunt and beloved crime novelist who helped revive the hard-boiled genre and branded a tough guy of his own through his "Spenser" series, has died. He was 77."

TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Wow, that's sad to hear! I was just reading a mystery book where his books were mentioned often.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Beacham View Post
We'll miss you!

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ory?id=9602683

"Robert B. Parker, the blunt and beloved crime novelist who helped revive the hard-boiled genre and branded a tough guy of his own through his "Spenser" series, has died. He was 77."

God-damnit!! Now I'm really bummed out. He was the last of the great private-eye writers, now we have nobody to step into his shoes (and even though I like a lot of mystery writers, there's no character that even comes close to Spenser.)

R.I.P. Robert. You gave me lots of fun times with Spenser and Hawk, and lately Jesse Stone. You will be missed.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Terrible news, he was truly one of the greats.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i only just heard about him in a recent discussion here, and i was looking forward to discovering his books. now i will read them in homage. i'm glad he had time to write lots of them, at least.

am i the only one who immediately thinks of Finch as a worthy successor to Spenser ? keep the spirit alive, moejoe !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

am i the only one who immediately thinks of Finch as a worthy successor to Spenser ? keep the spirit alive, moejoe !
Don't say that around Spenser fans, they'll keel-haul ya! (And yes, you are the only one )
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
It's tough when the good one's go. But even though cliche it's great we have their work to live forever.

As I always say: We ARE what we leave behind.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
I've been a fan of his since the early 80s; I have a letter from him somewhere, in response to a fan letter I wrote to him in the same time frame (one of only a few fan letters I've written in my life). I am truly sorry to see him go.
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Dangit! I just love Hawk! Bad for no reason, but able to lend a hand because he's also reasonably good. Truly the epitome of a character that has stepped out of two D land.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
SilverBear
ἄρκτος ὁ Μέγας
SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.SilverBear can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Robert B Parker was truly one of a kind.
I loved his ability to tell a story that was an updated version of "hard boiled", but with light touches of humor in the dialog. The artistry came in when some of the "humor" Spenser was dispensing was the character's way of keeping chaos at bay --underlining the depth of seriousness of his situation. A lesser writer couldn't begin to do it without coming off as a flip jackass.

Well, I can't really describe it. You Robt. B. Parker fans know what I mean! The uninitiated will not be able to appreciate this aspect of Parker's writing until they get at least 2-3 Spenser novels under their belts.

Advice: It's not essential, but try to check copyright dates and read them in order. There aren't that many Jesse Stone novels, for example, and the meta-plot does develop.

I just a couple weeks ago read [in hardcover, not an ebook] a new addition to the Spenser canon. My public library had it in the Youth section. Parker tells the story of a teenage Spenser getting involved in his first adventure. It's good for anyone of any age, IMO.
http://www.robertbparker.net/bookpag...SBN=0399247769
SilverBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Don't say that around Spenser fans, they'll keel-haul ya! (And yes, you are the only one )
well, in my defense, so far all i know is his reputation. also, in my defense, finch is a worth successor to anybody in the noir genre. (my, it's been a while since anyone threatened a good keel-hauling around here ! we should add that to pshrynk's list. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
Advice: It's not essential, but try to check copyright dates and read them in order. There aren't that many Jesse Stone novels, for example, and the meta-plot does develop.

I just a couple weeks ago read [in hardcover, not an ebook] a new addition to the Spenser canon. My public library had it in the Youth section. Parker tells the story of a teenage Spenser getting involved in his first adventure. It's good for anyone of any age, IMO.
thanks for the advice, i'll do that ! the more i hear about parker, the more i can't wait to read him.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
Robert B Parker was truly one of a kind.
I loved his ability to tell a story that was an updated version of "hard boiled", but with light touches of humor in the dialog. The artistry came in when some of the "humor" Spenser was dispensing was the character's way of keeping chaos at bay --underlining the depth of seriousness of his situation. A lesser writer couldn't begin to do it without coming off as a flip jackass.

Well, I can't really describe it. You Robt. B. Parker fans know what I mean! The uninitiated will not be able to appreciate this aspect of Parker's writing until they get at least 2-3 Spenser novels under their belts.

Available for the Kindle here.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #13
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i read robert b. parker's updates on amazon periodically, along with the blog posts he did there. this morning, when i went to see what was new with him, instead of the usually born date and a -, there was a second date. i was shocked, and hurried to other sources, hoping it was a mistake. as you know, it wasn't.

i love mr. parker's writing style, and i am far from alone. i've read all the spensers, the jesse stones, the sonny randalls, 2 one-offs, appaloosa, chasing the bear and even poodle springs. the humor, the concepts of love and honor, the part of robert b. parker and his relationship with his sons and joan always came through and made him more of a person to me than a lot of writers. just last week i was listening to an interview with him, something i rarely do, as was seeing the pics on his site including the real rosie.

although his passing is very sad, he left a number of books with his publishers. in the interview, he said he always wrote 6 books ahead. there's one coming out next month, and hopefully will be at least 5 (although really i'm hoping for all 6) still to be released.

R.I.P. robert b. parker - you'll be missed.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Wow, he wrote 6 books ahead?! Can't wait to read the new ones!

Thanks for the info basschick.
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
although his passing is very sad, he left a number of books with his publishers. in the interview, he said he always wrote 6 books ahead. there's one coming out next month, and hopefully will be at least 5 (although really i'm hoping for all 6) still to be released.

R.I.P. robert b. parker - you'll be missed.
well, that does soften the blow somewhat. thanks for the info, basschick.