Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-26-2014, 03:02 AM   #31
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That does seem to be an issue for a small proportion of people, yes. Most people using an eInk reader find that after a few hours' usage, their brain simply filters out the flicker and they stop being consciously aware of it. And of course on modern eInk screens the flicker is much less obtrusive than it was on the older ones.
My PRS-650 has quite a prolonged flicker and refresh than what I see on newer eink devices. They have greatly improved this aspect of ereading.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:30 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
My PRS-650 has quite a prolonged flicker and refresh than what I see on newer eink devices. They have greatly improved this aspect of ereading.
Yes. The latest generation of readers have a new eInk "waveform" (method of refreshing the screen) called "Regal", which dramatically reduces the frequency and visibility of refreshes. I never notice them on my Kindle PW2.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #33
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I only notice it on the Kobos which can refresh the screen several times in 1/3 to half page chunks. My Aura HD especially seemed to go into this routinely, the mini not so much. Sony and kindle never happened, and I have used the Sonys a lot more. Never happened on my mothers kindle either.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #34
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I am not bothered by the lag between page turns. I'm one of those people who don't even notice them and only recognize that they are there because people say so. It doesn't affect my reading.

I am bothered by the amount of time it takes to to move from screen to screen when I am searching for my next book. I do notice the lag there, but fortunately, my Sony has a good search feature and I can just look up the book I want instead of paging through screens. (My Kindle, on the other hand, takes so long to load up search that I've never even used it; I get impatient waiting for it and end up just paging through every screen and hope that I catch the title on the first pass.)

But my problems are on the home screens; for actual reading, I have no issue at all.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I am bothered by the amount of time it takes to to move from screen to screen when I am searching for my next book. I do notice the lag there, but fortunately, my Sony has a good search feature and I can just look up the book I want instead of paging through screens. (My Kindle, on the other hand, takes so long to load up search that I've never even used it; I get impatient waiting for it and end up just paging through every screen and hope that I catch the title on the first pass.)
Why page through it at all? If you know the book you want to find, you can go straight to it if you're in "Author" or "Title" sort order.

I have my books sorted by author. To go to my Agatha Christie books I just tap the page indicator at the lower right of the home screen, type "chr" in the search box, press "Go", and there I am at Agatha Christie.
Advert
Old 06-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #36
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
The page turn speed is nowhere near a second on a modern 6" eInk device; it's a small fraction of a second. It's obviously a little slower on a 9.7" screen because there's a lot more to be refreshed.

But I agree with Jon that a tablet is much more suited for reading textbooks on than an eInk device.
I've heard the same thing. Since textbooks have graphs, photos, etc. included in them they tend to read better on tablets than on an eink reader. Especially as they are likely to be large files I'd think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #37
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Could it also possibly be the age of your ereader? I mean everything wears out sooner or later so could part of how long it seems to take be due to the fact that it isn't brand new any longer?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #38
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Why page through it at all? If you know the book you want to find, you can go straight to it if you're in "Author" or "Title" sort order.

I have my books sorted by author. To go to my Agatha Christie books I just tap the page indicator at the lower right of the home screen, type "chr" in the search box, press "Go", and there I am at Agatha Christie.
The one time I tried to call up the search box on my Kindle (3rd gen, with keyboard), it never came up, so I just don't bother. It went back into power-saving mode (with the screen saver) without ever coming up. I just don't bother; at least it is responsive when I page through each page.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #39
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
To the question: Do you have an issue with the 'lag' between page turning?

No, not at all.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #40
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Doesn't bother me at all on either of my readers. While I see the black flash more on the Sony 350 since I set my Kobo Glo to flash only every 50 pages, it's just a fraction of a second slower than the Glo, barely noticeably slower unless you're actually looking to time it.

It's certainly quicker and less interruption to the flow of reading then physically turning the page of a paper book.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
On the T1 with the modified reading app, I am using a 10 page turn before the flash. Seems to be OK.

As for my 650, it turns the page fine. But it does flash every page and that does use more battery as the screen has to be updated twice every page turn.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:48 AM   #42
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I forgot how annoying delayed page turns can be. The current ebook I'm reading is taking a long time to change pages, and it is a PITA.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #43
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
yeah, it's annoying. Specially when you're used to draw little cartoons in the border and flip the pages...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #44
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

why even bother when you can simply "Search"

it's about the same thing as having a buttler search a book for you in your vast and wealthy personal library and readily hand it to you together with tea
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:00 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
why even bother when you can simply "Search"
Because it's quicker than using "Search".