Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #121
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
When I was a broke student, I read all my books at the library. When I got a real job I started buying books. I paid because I thought it was fair, not because some rudimentary, easily circumveted, control forced me too.

This new bill, in my opinion, makes buying DRM-encumbered eBooks unfair (because I can't use them how I want), and the current pricing is also unfair, so I won't buy them. I'm back to getting my (newer) books at the library, and I'm mostly reading free classics now. I've reduced my spend on books by about $400/year because I don't agree with DRM. I guess that's really helping the artists make money.

CDs aren't DRM-encumbered, yet lots of musicians are still making lots of money... I will buy a CD because, even if this bill is passed as is, I can still make personal copies without being a criminal - that's something I won't be able to do with eBooks or movies.

Last edited by EricDP; 06-16-2010 at 07:00 PM.
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #122
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP View Post
CDs aren't DRM-encumbered, yet lots of musicians are still making lots of money...
Indeed. One thing I applaud Philips for is refusing to let the CD logo be used on non-standard compliant DRM'ed "CD's". Check for the logo!
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #123
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphinome View Post
Looks like the CRIA have started their astroturf campaign on this bill. *looks around at some of the posts on moilberead*

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5123/125/
Explains a lot.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #124
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
No SamIAm here yet, at least.

SamIAm
SamIAm
SamIAm

Hehe.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:06 AM   #125
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
And more news. http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5137/125/

Canadian Heritage Minister James Moore calls everyone who opposes the bill radical extremeists. Here's part of the list provided in the link.

* Liberal MPs
* NDP MPs
* Bloc MPs
* Green Party
* Canadian Consumer Initiative
* Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada
* Canadian Association of University Teachers
* Canadian Federation of Students
* Canadian Library Association
* Business Coalition for Balanced Copyright
* Retail Council of Canada
* Canadian Bookseller Association
* Documentary Organization of Canada
* Writers' Union
* Canadian Conference of the Arts
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #126
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting that Bookseller Association and Writer's Union are opposed. Seems that neither the copyright holders or the users of copyrighted material are happy... How much more of a fail can this be?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #127
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Interesting that Bookseller Association and Writer's Union are opposed. Seems that neither the copyright holders or the users of copyrighted material are happy... How much more of a fail can this be?
They opposed for a different reason than the rest, they object to there being fair use/fair dealing stuff in the bill. For the past 100 years or so the content industries have considered fair use to really be piracy. The list includes people who object because the bill goes too far and people who oppose because it doesn't go too far enough.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #128
EricDP
Groupie

I guess, then, nobody agrees and it's up to the government to determine what the majority of Canadians want - since we do live in a democracy... And the majority clearly believe in fair use and do not agree with DRM. Time for this government to represent.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #129
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris

Quote:
I guess, then, nobody agrees and it's up to the government to determine what the majority of Canadians want - since we do live in a democracy... And the majority clearly believe in fair use and do not agree with DRM. Time for this government to represent.
Government working for the people? Would you like a pony too?
Old 06-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #130
EricDP
Groupie

A form letter that you can edit and send to the Prime Minister, your MP, the opposition, and of course, Tony Clement.

http://www.ccer.ca/send-a-letter-to-...canadian-dmca/
Old 06-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #131
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Actually, it's James Moore, Minister of Heritage, who is most in favour of anti-circumvention. Tony thinks everybody already circumvents - including himself and his family...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #132
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris

Now he's trying to deny he made the comment, even in the face of video evidence http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5142/125/
Old 06-25-2010, 12:12 AM   #133
EricDP
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Actually, it's James Moore, Minister of Heritage, who is most in favour of anti-circumvention. Tony thinks everybody already circumvents - including himself and his family...
Indeed, my mistake. James Moore's name is on the form as well. Can't keep my crooked politicians straight...
Old 06-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #134
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, Handel reminds us that there is only one who can "make the crooked straight, and the rough places plane"
Old 06-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #135
pholy
Booklegger

And someone should remind the Honourable Minister of this quote, from one of his spiritual forebears:

Quote:
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice."
Barry Goldwater, 1964
Interested Extremists can look up the rest of the quote to see if he contradicts himself. I had to, and he doesn't.