Notices

Old 01-24-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Juggle4Evr
Connoisseur
Juggle4Evr doesn't litterJuggle4Evr doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Cybook Opus
PDF, MacOS: Edit book title?

Hi,

I sometimes have the problem that the titles in the book list displayed on my 505 are not optimal for PDF files. Is there any MacOS software to easily edit the title in the PDF file? I tried Skim but it doesn't seem to have that function.

Juergen
Juggle4Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Well it's a bit spendy if changing the title is the only thing you do with it, but for non DRM'd files Acrobat will certainly change the title (along with 1000's of other things).
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
Juggle4Evr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Well it's a bit spendy if changing the title is the only thing you do with it, but for non DRM'd files Acrobat will certainly change the title (along with 1000's of other things).
That's a bit of an overkill...
I just found out that I can overwrite the title with a hex editor, a bit unconvenient but it works.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggle4Evr View Post
That's a bit of an overkill...
I agree it is a bit much, if all you are going to use it for is just changing the titles, but it will definitely do that as well

Quote:
I just found out that I can overwrite the title with a hex editor, a bit unconvenient but it works.
A couple of thoughts:
1.) The title can be maintained in multiple places. The InfoDict which you have most likely found, and the XMP Metadata, which you may not have. Although most of the PDF viewers out there only look at the InfoDict, use of the XMP metadata is becoming more common. Search for "/Title" to find the correct InfoDict entry, and "title>" for the XMP metadata. (it will usually be in a "<dc:title>" element but different producers may deal with the namespaces differently).

2.) Make sure you don't change the size of the string when you change the title, by adding spaces if you decrease it and making sure not to add to size. A PDF is a series of objects with the location of each object pointed to a by the XREF table. If you change the size of an object (such as the InfoDict), the offsets of the following objects in the XREF table will no longer be correct. Depending upon how much you change the size of the string and the tolerances of the viewer that you are using, the file will end up being considered corrupt.

Hopefully someone else can turn up with a better solution for you.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Is there any MacOS software to easily edit the title in the PDF file?
Calibre works for me.

Last edited by curtw; 01-24-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added download link
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
Juggle4Evr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Calibre works for me.
You are right, I can edit the metadata including title and save the whole thing as PDF.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
You are right, I can edit the metadata including title and save the whole thing as PDF.

Thanks!
How did you save the document? When I use Calibre to change the title and author it is fine with in calibre but when I send it to my 505 it still keeps the funky title
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #8
iain_benson
Connoisseur
iain_benson began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
What version of calibre/firmware are you using? All the PDF books I've copied to my PRS-505 with calibre appear the titles/authors I've set in calibre.
iain_benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by iain_benson View Post
What version of calibre/firmware are you using? All the PDF books I've copied to my PRS-505 with calibre appear the titles/authors I've set in calibre.
I am using the latest one... I am going to upload it back to the reader and see how it goes...
Just tried it again and sure as heck... the the funky metadata stays. It looks fine when I look at the ebook with in calibre but once I unplug it... poop... metadata changes.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
Juggle4Evr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I am using the latest one... I am going to upload it back to the reader and see how it goes...
Just tried it again and sure as heck... the the funky metadata stays. It looks fine when I look at the ebook with in calibre but once I unplug it... poop... metadata changes.
I have the same effect here. I looked into the PDF file, it does not change the /Title tag.
Strange because it looks so good in calibre.
Maybe it only sets the title in some kind of meta information when you transmit it to the reader with calibre. I always just copy the PDF file.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not support setting metadata in PDF files, only in LRF, EPUB, RTF and MOBi files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote