Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
stan.hanks
stan.hanks began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle
Hi from new member

Hi there. My wife got me a PRS-505 (with the light wedge) last year for my birthday, and I got her a Kindle for Xmas, so we're a "dueling format" family! Actually, it improves our ability to download content, but does raise the question of who gets which device on which day...

I'll likely be quietly lurking, studying the fora for answers, and for questions we never would have asked ourselves.

Thanks for being here!
stan.hanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan.hanks View Post
Hi there. My wife got me a PRS-505 (with the light wedge) last year for my birthday, and I got her a Kindle for Xmas, so we're a "dueling format" family! Actually, it improves our ability to download content, but does raise the question of who gets which device on which day...

I'll likely be quietly lurking, studying the fora for answers, and for questions we never would have asked ourselves.

Thanks for being here!
Welcome, Stan.hanks, and be sure and check out all the wonderful books uploaded here. You can each have your own copies! Enjoy....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Oh, don't lurk! Come out and chat with us. What kind of books are you reading? What are your wife's favorites? We really want to get to know you!

I live in a two-reader family, but both readers are mine. My hubby no longer reads novels and I have not {yet} mastered the Calibre or Feedbooks tools for creating "magazines" for him from online content. I think that's what it's going to take for me to get him using one of the readers.

In the meantime, I'm moving back and forth from the Kindle to the Sony, depending on what and where I'm reading. Hubby bought me the lightwedge cover for Christmas so that I wouldn't have to turn on an external light when we're in the car at night. It's also pretty cool for reading in bed, too. But when there's plenty of light, I don't like reading through the lightwedge and it's awkward to hold the cover with the lightwedge turned back since nothing on the wedge extends close enough to the edge of the cover so I can hold it back.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
and where are you from? See, we're nosy, too!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan.hanks View Post
Stan,

Welcome to ya. Grab a drink and pull up a stool.

BTW: If you learn to run a few python scripts, very easy don't let the word python or script scare you... you can buy all your books from the Kindle store, then deDRM and convert them for the Sony... so you can have all your books on both devices.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 01-15-2009 at 12:28 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Stan and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
stan.hanks
stan.hanks began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle
Thanks much for the kind words! We're in the Portland, OR, area (home of Powells!) and I'm a recovering readaholic. :-) I had to divest myself of over 10,000 books a few years ago due to debilitatingly severe dust, mold, and dust mite allergies, and just HATE not having books around. I mainly read fiction, with a strong preference for "thoughtful" SciFi and crime fiction, but a ton of non-fiction in there too mostly history in particular history of techonology and finance. My wife likes lighter fiction, and non-fiction in whatever her particular area of interest happens to be at the moment...

The prospect of converting Kindle to Sony is very intriguing. Where might I read more about that?

The lightwedge is both a blessing and a curse, as noted, but mostly blessing. I have similar devices for actual paper books, in a variety of sizes, and have the same issues there -- it's in the way when you turn pages in that case. I'm actually looking for something similar for the Kindle -- my wife has a medical condition that makes using any kind of "shine down" book light impossible. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Stan
stan.hanks is offline   Reply With Quote