Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 07-04-2020, 05:22 AM   #1
Inman
Inman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Calibre ebook viewer not opening

I recently updated to Calibre 4.19 on my Windows 8 laptop, after using an old version for over a year. Now the problem is whenever I try to open the ebook viewer inside Calibre, it appears for a second and then closes automatically. Not just while opening books, even if I simply launch the ebook viewer directly from start menu, the same thing happens.

I tried running Calibre in debug mode but it seems to have entries about Calibre management app only, not the viewer. I updated to 4.20 as well just now but same issue. Any idea how to fix this?
Inman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It will be an incompatibility with your graphics card/drivers. try updating your drivers and if that does not work, turn off hardware rendering as described here: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwebengine-debugging.html
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2020, 04:52 AM   #3
Inman
Inman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It will be an incompatibility with your graphics card/drivers. try updating your drivers and if that does not work, turn off hardware rendering as described here: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwebengine-debugging.html
Thanks. That worked.
Inman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 12:27 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Calibre ebook viewer not opening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inman View Post
I recently updated to Calibre 4.19 on my Windows 8 laptop, after using an old version for over a year. Now the problem is whenever I try to open the ebook viewer inside Calibre, it appears for a second and then closes automatically. Not just while opening books, even if I simply launch the ebook viewer directly from start menu, the same thing happens.

I tried running Calibre in debug mode but it seems to have entries about Calibre management app only, not the viewer. I updated to 4.20 as well just now but same issue. Any idea how to fix this?
Quote:
In Calibre 5.43 when I use the view button, the icon appears on my Windows 11 toolbar but no window opens. When I hover over the icon that appeared on my toolbar it shows an empty mini-window above it with the name of the ebook I was attempting to open. When I click on this empty mini-window it dissapears but nothing appears in the screen. When I go to that very same ebook file with file explorer and right-click it and choose open with the calibre viewer it opens normally.

Any ideas to fix this problem?

Last edited by alansplace; 06-14-2022 at 12:39 PM. Reason: add a little
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:55 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It will be off screen use th ewindows key to gather all offscreen windows, I forget what it is, a bit of googling will get it for you
Advert
Old 06-14-2022, 11:36 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I stumbled on this the other day ==>> How to Find & Recover an Off-Screen Window in Windows 10

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:08 AM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It will be off screen use th ewindows key to gather all offscreen windows, I forget what it is, a bit of googling will get it for you
Thank you Kovid!

It's now quite usable, but there are still issues. First, every time I want to open another book using Calibre's button I must move the resulting new viewer window from off-screen to on-screen again. There is also another issue which I'll save for later. Here's hoping you don't mind them one at a time.

Old 06-15-2022, 12:12 AM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I stumbled on this the other day ==>> How to Find & Recover an Off-Screen Window in Windows 10

BR
Thanks, good find, helped me with specific info.

Old 06-15-2022, 03:08 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre doesnt control window placement, that's up to the operating system.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:44 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Thank you Kovid!

It's now quite usable, but there are still issues. First, every time I want to open another book using Calibre's button I must move the resulting new viewer window from off-screen to on-screen again. There is also another issue which I'll save for later. Here's hoping you don't mind them one at a time.

Are you exiting the previous window first. Windows remembers where it was when it exits.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:51 AM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
calibre doesnt control window placement, that's up to the operating system.
Thanks Kovid. I didn't know that. I'll not need to ask anything else as it's totally usable now.

again!
Old 06-15-2022, 10:55 AM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Are you exiting the previous window first. Windows remembers where it was when it exits.
As I use it I'll experiment with this idea, thanks!

Just did this:

1. opened Calibre
2. selected a book
3. clicked on the view button
4. moved the window from off-screen to on-screen
5. closed the viewer
6. selected another book
7. the new window needed to be moved to on-screen just like the first one

Last edited by alansplace; 06-15-2022 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-15-2022, 01:59 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What file is it that keeps the viewer's window size and position information?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:33 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Jon - Read what THE MAN wrote.

Quote:
calibre doesn't control window placement, that's up to the operating system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
As I use it I'll experiment with this idea, thanks!

Just did this:

1. opened Calibre
2. selected a book
3. clicked on the view button
4. moved the window from off-screen to on-screen
5. closed the viewer
6. selected another book
7. the new window needed to be moved to on-screen just like the first one
After step 4 try moving and/or resizing the viewer window before closing it.

Are you utilising any of the new window management features in Windows 11 (e.g. Snap Layouts), or a 3rd party windows manager (e.g. AquaSnap, Actual Windows, Divvy etc)?

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:43 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What file is it that keeps the viewer's window size and position information?
What BR and Kovid said (I think I also hinted) The Registry in Winblows
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, viewer