Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #106
dbolanos
dbolanos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Ereader Wi Fi
Hi there,
Can anyone please send me the image file?
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #107
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
PM sent.
Advert
Old 06-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #108
Xb0xguru
Xb0xguru began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo N647B
Hi - just registered to see if someone was able to send me a copy of the image? I have been given a Kobo N647b to look at which is stuck on the boot screen since the last update.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #109
flyboy320
Groupie
flyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo wifi E-Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xb0xguru View Post
Hi - just registered to see if someone was able to send me a copy of the image? I have been given a Kobo N647b to look at which is stuck on the boot screen since the last update.
PM sent...
Old 06-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #110
Xb0xguru

Thanks for the img file, however after writing to a 4gb MicroSD (as the 2gb stock MicroSD was too small), nothing happens. The power light comes on for about 10 seconds and turns off. The display doesn't change at all and no activity via USB.

Any advice?
Advert
Old 06-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #111
flyboy320
Groupie
flyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Thanks for the img file, however after writing to a 4gb MicroSD (as the 2gb stock MicroSD was too small), nothing happens. The power light comes on for about 10 seconds and turns off. The display doesn't change at all and no activity via USB.

Any advice?
Did you use win32diskimager to write to the card? You can't just use windows to write or copy the file to the card, you have to use a program that will write the image file to it.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #112
Xb0xguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy320 View Post
Did you use win32diskimager to write to the card? You can't just use windows to write or copy the file to the card, you have to use a program that will write the image file to it.
I'm not unaccustomed to writing images to SD cards (Use images for my RPi too). I obviously tried with win32diskimager. I also tried with USB Image Tool (which is what I would normally use for my RPi.).
Old 06-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #113
flyboy320
Groupie

Quote:
I'm not unaccustomed to writing images to SD cards (Use images for my RPi too). I obviously tried with win32diskimager. I also tried with USB Image Tool (which is what I would normally use for my RPi.).
OK, had to ask! If that wasn't the problem, you have me stumped. Perhaps davidfor will chime in....
Old 06-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #114
Xb0xguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy320 View Post
OK, had to ask! If that wasn't the problem, you have me stumped. Perhaps davidfor will chime in....
Understood It's always hard to judge someone else's ability!

EDIT: I'm visually comparing (via a hex editor) what's written to the SD with the img file and it looks like it matches like-for-like.

Last edited by Xb0xguru; 06-19-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #115
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, there have been a few reports of this image not working with the WiFi. I don't have any sort of pattern to work out why. About the only suggestions I have are to make sure the battery it is charged and to try a factory reset using the buttons as you turn it on. And I don't know who to do that on the WiFi. But, it has been posted somewhere here.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:23 AM   #116
Xb0xguru

Ok - thanks.

The strange thing is the image's model number matches fine. At offset 200h:

SN-KBN6470Bxxxxxxx <- Do I need to edit this to match my Kobo ?

I'll try to fully charge it etc. and go from there.

Quick question - should I be able to see anything from a restored image on the SD card? For instance, is there a user-accessible FAT32 partition within the image?

EDIT 2: I can see there are three partitions on the image. The first two are both EXT2 and the third a FAT32 partition, which I would assume is where your books are stored. I've not had a chance to thoroughly look at the structure for the first EXT2 partition but I'm assuming since it's Linux there will be a boot image on there. I also noticed TX and RX outputs on the main PCB - anyone know if these are serial (TTL) comms which can be monitored at boot? I'll have another fish around after work tonight and see what I can see, paying attention to the custom firmware threads.

Last edited by Xb0xguru; 06-20-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #117
Xb0xguru

Does anyone still have this image:

kobo-sd-restore-1.8.tgz

It used to be hosted on download.kobobooks.com but the link is now dead.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #118
MechR
Connoisseur
MechR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Erk, I have an N289 that might've just run into this problem I hadn't turned it on in ages, but finally had occasion to pull it out today, and it started downloading the update once I connected to Wifi. Now the update process is stuck after the download completed Going by this thread, turning it off might be a bad idea, but I don't have much choice. Maybe I'll give it another hour or two.

I'm surprised they haven't pulled the update, if this has been happening to people since January.

Last edited by MechR; 06-21-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #119
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I suspect it is to late and your only easy choice is to turn it off and see what happens. It will probably restart and do the firmware upgrade.

But, you could try connecting to a computer and to see if it that wakes it. If it does, you can delete the firmware upgrade files from the device and disconnect. Or you could open the device, pull the SD card out and put it in a PC to delete the file.

As to pulling the firmware, I suppose it depends on how many devices fail to update. It might be a tiny number and they think it is worth the risk. We don't know. We can't use the reports here as an indicator. For all we know, these are the only people that it has failed for and that there are hundreds of thousands of people that had no problems.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #120
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One thing that has worked for quite a few people here is reaching out to Kobo. There are several people who Kobo have shipped refurbished Touch devices to, to replace bricked WiFi units.
Closed Thread