Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #91
desoto
desoto began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
AccioHogwarts, Please contact Kobo right away. They will walk you through the steps to restore your new touch. It's very important to follow their directions exactly, and may require a few tries.

After my Kobo wifi suffered the bad update issue, Kobo replaced it with a refurbished Kobo touch. (Thank you, Kobo!) The first one they sent me would not hold a charge, so after contacting them and going through the front/back photo process, they sent another refurb. This one works great (after a couple factory resets which I think were my fault as I expected the touch screen to respond instantly and ended up tapping the screen multiple times and probably overloading the system.)
Kobo asks that you return your bricked wifi AFTER receiving the replacement kobo, so hang on to both until you can determine that the new unit works. I shipped both the wifi and the defective touch together to the returns address a week or two after receiving the working replacement.
Kobo deserves a lot of credit for their efforts in this mess.
BTW, I love the Kobo touch.
Best of luck to you.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #92
mgm99
mgm99 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
kobo wifi N14939

Davidfor: my kobo says 'no books found' when turned on. when connected to my computer the only file listed (show all hidden files has been checked) is drive.info this is after factory resetting. any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by mgm99; 05-04-2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: to address Davidfor
Advert
Old 05-04-2014, 10:34 PM   #93
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
mgm99: There have been a few reports like that for the WiFi. I think they have been solved by either writing a new image or getting another SD card and writing to that. I've sent you a PM with the link to the image.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #94
Cindibear
Cindibear began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi
They've replace my Kobo Wifi now with a new Touch. Hubby thinks it might actually have been a new one as opposed to a refurb one but either would have been ok I think so long as I have a unit to read with. It arrived by parcel in about a week's time and we just packed up the fried one in the packing provided and sent it back. As far as I know, I'm not getting that unit back but the Touch seems to be working just fine and I'm back up and running again. Surprisingly quick and efficient service considering how much trouble some folks have had with them.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #95
flyboy320
Groupie
flyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo wifi E-Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindibear View Post
They've replace my Kobo Wifi now with a new Touch. Hubby thinks it might actually have been a new one as opposed to a refurb one but either would have been ok I think so long as I have a unit to read with. It arrived by parcel in about a week's time and we just packed up the fried one in the packing provided and sent it back. As far as I know, I'm not getting that unit back but the Touch seems to be working just fine and I'm back up and running again. Surprisingly quick and efficient service considering how much trouble some folks have had with them.
Hey that's great news, glad Kobo is still standing up and doing the right thing....
Advert
Old 05-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #96
wbteeple
wbteeple began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Pre Plus
Okay, for some reason today, I decided I was invincible, ran the update on my Kobo to 1.9.11 firmware and upon reboot, it won't see the SD card contents at all. I would love to have the previous firmware, and a link to instructions.

Sincere thanks,

Bill
Old 05-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #97
flyboy320
Groupie
flyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of lightflyboy320 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbteeple View Post
Okay, for some reason today, I decided I was invincible, ran the update on my Kobo to 1.9.11 firmware and upon reboot, it won't see the SD card contents at all. I would love to have the previous firmware, and a link to instructions.

Sincere thanks,

Bill
PM sent....
Old 05-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #98
barneygoogle
Infant member
barneygoogle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
This is my first post to a MobileRead forum, and as it was this thread that prompted me to join I thought I should add a comment about my experience with the 1.9.11 upgrade. I had already upgraded (upgraded seems an inappropriate word) when I read this thread, and at that time I had not noticed any ill effects, but upon checking I found that, as with others, my expansion SD card was not being recognized and that my “I’m Reading” list showed filenames rather than titles and authors.

I lived with the problem for a while thinking that as my device had not been bricked it was unlikely that Kobo would replace it. Then, on further thought, I decided that there had been serious loss of functionality and it was worth a try. I went through the email route as the callback facility is not available to English customers. Many emails later I came to the conclusion that it would take weeks to reach an end and I called the (free) international service number. Forty-eight hours and four calls later Kobo told me they would replace the Wifi with a Touch and I went through the routine of photographing it and giving them all the necessary details. I had to send the reader to Holland by a tracked, insured service at my own expense, and I got the replacement eight days later.

Well, here are what I consider to be the pros and the cons: On the good side my pretty old reader has been replace by a new, fairly up-to-date model; the Kobo support people were friendly and courteous. On the down side, I am considerably out of pocket; the cost of returning the device was GBP 10.15 (USD 17.00); my old SD card had to be replaced at a cost of GBP 9.00 (USD 15.07) with a micro SD card because it didn’t fit the Touch; the connecting cable also had to be replace at a cost of GBP 6.00 (USD 10.05) for the same reason. In addition, the rather nice case I had for the Wifi is too big for the Touch, but I shall not be replacing that for a while.

The touch is fine; it’s faster, more versatile and better than the Wifi in most respects, but I feel that the Wifi was more cosy; I’d been using it for a few years and was kinda fond of it.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #99
boznia
boznia began at the beginning.

Device: kobo n647
Any chance of the image file? I have got one elsewhere but it is nowhere near 2gb zipped

Thanks,

Ben
Old 06-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #100
flyboy320
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boznia View Post
Any chance of the image file? I have got one elsewhere but it is nowhere near 2gb zipped

Thanks,

Ben
PM sent...
Old 06-04-2014, 05:21 AM   #101
draceena
draceena began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
Hi!

Long time Lurker, First Time Poster here. Suffering the upgrade blues on my poor Kobo WiFi. If it's still possible I would really like to try the Image File process before trying to replace.

I've had my Kobo for years and really don't want anything else (like old shoes you love and just can let go of) and have already tried all the different resets mentioned in this post to no avail.

If I could get a link to the file in a PM and the instructions on how to make it work either linked here or in the PM and I would be eternally gratefull.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #102
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM Sent.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #103
draceena

I got the download fine but now find out my WiFi is only 1GB! Would anyone know where I could get the image for that?!? :'(
Old 06-05-2014, 12:27 AM   #104
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by draceena View Post
I got the download fine but now find out my WiFi is only 1GB! Would anyone know where I could get the image for that?!? :'(
Did you pull the SD card out of the device to check? For most of these devices, the visible partition is about 1GB in size. There are other hidden partitions that fill the rest of the 2GB card.

In any case, you should be safe using a bigger card. If you can find a 2GB card, use that instead. For the new devices, people are using all sizes and simply expanding the data partition.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:29 AM   #105
draceena

Thanks for all you help and patience. I ended up having to open my Kobo and you were correct it did have a 2Gig Micro SD card. Although I opened it as carefully and gently as possible the e-ink screen still got messed up so I'm back to a black paperweight. *cry*

I will try to see if the Kobo people can help me out but dont have much hope...I really miss my Kobo already.
Closed Thread