Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #16
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
well... break the rules I suppose...

With murder mysteries, I've read you are "supposed to" to start the story with the crime. With thriller's you are "supposed to" introduce your protagonist first, or early, and let the reader wrap their arms around him/her (Writing a Killer Thriller).

A while back I read The Deputy by Victor Gischler, a thriller. It's an interesting read from a writer's viewpoint, since in the first chapter Gischler introduces a character you quickly dislike. As it turns out, he's the protagonist and you learn to like the guy.

Break, or bend the genre rules?

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
With murder mysteries, I've read you are "supposed to" to start the story with the crime. With thriller's you are "supposed to" introduce your protagonist first, or early, and let the reader wrap their arms around him/her (Writing a Killer Thriller).

A while back I read The Deputy by Victor Gischler, a thriller. It's an interesting read from a writer's viewpoint, since in the first chapter Gischler introduces a character you quickly dislike. As it turns out, he's the protagonist and you learn to like the guy.

Break, or bend the genre rules?

L
It does sound like an interesting read.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert