Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #16
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I really don't see how they could really get a patent on having two screens on a device, there is prior work for that. Having one screen to display info, and the other (lower) screen being to control the device has one famous device that has been out for years (The DS).
Having two screens of entirely different types of hardware may be new. Certainly, combining e-ink and LCD on the same device is new.

And let me note that the ridiculousness of a patent, or its widespread use before being patented, has nothing to do with it's acceptability. Unless the clerk recognizes the tech involved, it goes through; they no longer try to figure out if a patent is a variation on an existing bit of technology. They expect lawsuits to cover that aspect.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #17
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
My brother's girlfriend is a patent clerk, and I know she tries to research stuff first (isn't uncommon for her to call up my brother, when it is stuff of a medical nature, for advice), but there is just so much stuff they have to do, that many don't have the time to really research it.

And as far as differing types of displays justifying the patent, well, I dunno if that would be enough. Not to mention, I think I've seen something similar before (not mixing eInk and LCD, but other display techs, such as CRT and LCD). I really see no reason why this wouldn't be knocked out as invalid.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #18
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I really don't see how they could really get a patent on having two screens on a device, there is prior work for that.
The press release said:
Quote:
patented dual screen interaction technology
I think it is likely there is still prior art, but what they patented is something to do with interaction between the screens.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #19
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Regardless, it isn't anything new. A decent patent clerk should have tossed it.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #20
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
lol when companies release stuff like this, it is painfully obvious why companies like Apple are doing so well. Terrible design!

Despite it looking awful, I am still glad for the rate of release of these devices, the more in market the better and at the rate they are coming out, we seem to get something new every week.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #21
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
For me the more important detail here is that it actually runs Android. That could potentially open it up to a menagerie of formats.

[EDIT] I just realized that the B&N reader also runs Android. 'Still interesting.

Oh, and this isn't the only dual screen hybrid, Android based reader announced:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/19/e...oversaturated/

Last edited by Dylrob; 10-19-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It looks better than the Kindle...
Seriously, are your eyes even open. I like the black but it does not look better than the Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #23
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
Alex. What kind of name is that for an ebook reader.
Well, the 'lex' in the name hints of reading, as in 'lexicon', but if I wanted to evoke that, I'd have tried 'Lexa' or 'Lexi' as a name, to put the 'lex' up front and to also make one think 'Lexus'.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #24
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
About time Mr Turcic had an eReader named after him!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #25
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
R.I.P. Kindle
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:11 AM   #26
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
Even the name is hideous: Alex. What kind of name is that for an ebook reader. Not exactly catchy, is it?
On the contrary, I find the name to imply a certain je ne sais quoi, an air of sophistication, dare I say, elegance and intelligence too.
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:42 AM   #27
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Very interesting.
If it is possible to disable colour screen when reading a book (to coserve battery power and avoid general distraction), then it might be a good reader.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #28
Syniurge
Enthusiast
Syniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: PRS-650
The LCD addresses eInk limitations, e.g eInk is not that great for photos, even grayscale (sidenote: I wonder if the Kindle screensavers were processed differently than images displayed in Mobi books.. more constrast or something)

But rather than having the LCD stuck to the eInk display, I would make existing handheld LCD devices such as smartphones communicate with eInk devices. One device in each hand, and a sync button to send the page displayed from one to the other.

Last edited by Syniurge; 10-21-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Syniurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #29
jswinden
Nameless Being

Rounded screen corners? Is this retro 1970's TVs? Big woo, a 3.5" color display just like my iPod touch. That is not big enough to view anything without scrolling constantly side to side. Total garbage, in my opinion.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Agreed... it is hideous.
My Kindle is beautiful. This looks clunky.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alex reader, alex video