Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
300 screen vs 505 Screen

Can someone who has both give me you impression of the 300 screen vs the 505 screen?

I ask because there is a noticeable difference in contrast between my 5" Astak Pocket Pro and my 505. The Sony has a noticeable difference in contrast and is much easier to read.

I would have thought that the e-ink screens would be the same (other than ppi), given they are made by the same company.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-17-2009 at 11:08 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
They look about the same. 300's screen might be just a tad lighter (brighter?) and it has a higher DPI (200 vs 166 I think) so it's a bit clearer.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh Son View Post
They look about the same. 300's screen might be just a tad lighter (brighter?) and it has a higher DPI (200 vs 166 I think) so it's a bit clearer.

Thank You. Very helpful.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
ultramookie
almighty trouble creator
ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: bn nook
i agree with seventh. the screen on the 300 is just slightly lighter in the background. and same thing with the higher dpi. i have some pictures of the 505 next to the 300, you can see the difference, while noticeable in person is only slight:

http://379m.com/1t
ultramookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramookie View Post
i agree with seventh. the screen on the 300 is just slightly lighter in the background. and same thing with the higher dpi. i have some pictures of the 505 next to the 300, you can see the difference, while noticeable in person is only slight:

http://379m.com/1t
Thanks. I'm planning on returning my Pocket Pro today and may go with the 300, but that is undecided at the moment. I may just get a second 505 as a backup/alternate reader....
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
cemerson
cemerson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
I got a 505 a couple of months ago, and my spouse got a 300 a couple of weeks ago -- the 300 is noticeably better contrast.
cemerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
I got a 505 a couple of months ago, and my spouse got a 300 a couple of weeks ago -- the 300 is noticeably better contrast.
Man, you guys are clinching it for me. Looks like a 300 is in my future.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 300 is really no better then the 505. Unless of course you want a smaller screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The 300 is really no better then the 505. Unless of course you want a smaller screen.
Well I am think smaller/more portable, which is what I bought the 5" Pocket Pro

so now that I'm returning it.....

I was originally looking at adding the 300, but the PP held more features for the same price. Though at this point I'm wondering if just a second 505 -- primarily for backup -- might not be the best thing.

I'll ask this in a separate thread, but does anyone know if the 300 and 600 are available at the retail outlets like Target, Walmart, etc??
Old 09-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
ifonline
Connoisseur
ifonline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'll ask this in a separate thread, but does anyone know if the 300 and 600 are available at the retail outlets like Target, Walmart, etc??
Yep. BestBuy shows some in stock in my area (Metro Atlanta), as does Fry's. Tomorrow is supposed to be the "official" retail release date, as I understand it.
ifonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Yep. BestBuy shows some in stock in my area (Metro Atlanta), as does Fry's. Tomorrow is supposed to be the "official" retail release date, as I understand it.

Thank you. I checked the Walmart site this morning, for availability here and didn't show any. I'd really like to see it first if possible.

Just checked and it IS saying the 300 is in stock in the two nearest stores.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-17-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #12
ifonline
Connoisseur

No Sony Store near you? They have them (at least, they should).
Old 09-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
kennyc

Nope, my choices here in CO seem to be Target (where I bought my 505), Walmart, and Costco.

Hmmm, I guess there is one in the Cherry Creek Mall....wasn't aware of that...
It's a fair drive and a pain in the butt to park walk, etc....
Good to know though.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by kennyc; 09-17-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #14
ifonline
Connoisseur

Ah. Hm...

BestBuy in Boulder, CO has a black 600 in stock, and BestBuy in Parker and Arapahoe both have a silver 300 in stock.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #15
kennyc

I hate Best Buy. Sorry. But you are right, I forgot they carry them as well.

Thank YOU!