Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #11536
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I had no idea you could get thunder with snow!

Getting colder by the minute here. Not sure what the temperatures are though, but cold enough for Paris. The snow is almost all gone. Good thing it had a chance to thaw away before the temperature dropped!
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #11537
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Chilly with snow falling. But not as cold as some of you, it seems !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #11538
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thunder snow is cool. I've seen it twice, and one of those times it was really intense. I was driving and the flashes were coming so close together it was almost like a giant strobe light in the sky.
I've read that explorers in the polar regions have experienced intense electrical activity within snow storms. Something to do with the concentration of charged particles in the atmosphere, magnetic forces, and snow particles.

We're waiting here for the winter storm to arrive. Prediction models have now converged: Snow flurries beginning around noon, changing over to sleet/freezing rain around 4 pm, then over to rain/freezing rain at 6 pm. I think I'll be leaving work early today. We're right on the line between the snow/sleet belt and the sleet/freezing rain belt.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #11539
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
<snip>

We're waiting here for the winter storm to arrive. Prediction models have now converged: Snow flurries beginning around noon, changing over to sleet/freezing rain around 4 pm, then over to rain/freezing rain at 6 pm. I think I'll be leaving work early today. We're right on the line between the snow/sleet belt and the sleet/freezing rain belt.
The law school opted to close at noon today and we're already getting sleet and freezing rain down here in Charlotte. Looks like you'll have much more of an adventure than I will though. Stay warm and enjoy a good book!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #11540
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Our first wave of frozen stuff arrived on schedule - snow flurries & sleet. Now a break until the sleet/freezing rain arrives in an hour or so. Everything is closing. I'll be heading home shortly before the mix gets here - letting the traffic clear a bit first.

UNC actually cancelled classes! I can't remember the last time this happened!
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #11541
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Just be careful and stay warm, you two! Here it seems the temperature keeps dropping. Room temperature at my home was around 16°C when I got home (the thermometer said 14° but I don't really trust it). Perfect for Beaujolais, not so perfect for me, but luckily I've got an electric heater that turned the room from chilly to comfortably overheated in a few hours. And the Beaujolais tastes fine, even though I just broke my last wine glass and have to drink it in one of these horrible kitchen glasses.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #11542
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Left work early - got home safely before the wrecks start piling up. I found out the hard way that the salt/sand trucks had NOT visited the turn lanes - I slid through one intersection - luckily no one was coming. We've had snow, sleet, rain, sleet, and now the freezing rain is upon us!

Oh joy!

Then again, temps are supposed to be near 70 F by Friday!

Off to fill my glass with Old Peculiar Ale - to toast my homecoming!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #11543
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same here. Got home, trekked to the neighborhood gym in the ice pellets, got the workout in and have now settled down with a book while some bread bakes.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #11544
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Keep the bread warm; I'll be right over!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #11545
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I can believe some of the temperatures, especially with the wind chill factor. Stay warm and safe everyone and stock up on supplies.

We are finally having some warmer day and evening weather with the rain. My citrus trees made it through the freezes, but my little bamboo didn't.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #11546
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Keep the bread warm; I'll be right over!
I always seem to get that response. I lived with my grandmother for a few years as a child, and I learned the bread making from her. It was a real treat to be home early enough on a weekday to start a fresh loaf going.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #11547
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
We got about 5 cm of snow here today. It is about -10 C outside, which isn't so bad compared to the temperature in other cities. The roads are terrible, though; there were two car accidents on my street alone today, which is a tiny side street! It's a good thing that I don't have to go anywhere outside the house tonight.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #11548
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Snowing, now. It's cold enough that we're getting light, fluffy snow and it has been cold enough for the past few days that it's staying light and fluffy after it lands. A push broom works better than a shovel on this stuff. The main storm is just south of us and heading out to sea, so we should be done pretty soon.

I learned the hard way that you can't do anything about freezing rain. I've pulled off the road and spent the night in my car to wait out the ice a few times.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #11549
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
We got about 2-3" of the white stuff yesterday. Saw one car pulled off and parked on the median strip and another in a ditch, but otherwise things didn't look too bad. Of course, I only live about 12 miles from work. The roads were icy.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #11550
poohbear_nc
Now what?

We ended up with about an inch of sleet/ice - which is staying on the roads for a while.

Tags
clouds and lightning and, hugo and lefty